Multiple lines/hooks on one rod

ubnt

Hey fishos,

Just wondering if you use multiple hooks/lines on one rod? Sometimes i find myself lazy to carry two rods or because there are simply too many fishermen crowded at one spot. I saw a guy using 3 swivel snap to connect three lines to a main line with a runner sinker. He caught some fish while others had donut. So it seems there is a way to increase  odds when fishing is slow. I am trying to find a rig with multiple lines that do not get twisted, is there suh a rig? 

I found this on amazon but the leader line is too short to make a difference. 

Screenshot_20220919-080138_Amazon Shopping.jpg

19 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Why not use a dropper rig, similar to a paternoster rig ? -

Main line to a sinker then two or 3 dropper loops.

Yes dropper rig is what I tried first and it did not catch more fish, though it did not have the twisted line problem. The reson is the droppers line length is short and did not appeare as free in the water.

I fish drop shot rigs a lot, and paternoster rigs too. 

Anything else just seems to be more hassle then help. That double rig in the diagram should work but man it would be a Pita to rig, so you might want to avoid snags. 

Another option is to run a bait feeder with a few hooks off of it, I've run that a lot overseas but it can still tangle. 

Another option is a treble swivel on a running sinker rig, you tie a long leader on the bottom and a short leader on the side swivel. 

I've used that and it doesn't tangle nearly as often or nearly as bad, and it works good. 

6 hours ago, Bob9863 said:

I fish drop shot rigs a lot, and paternoster rigs too. 

Anything else just seems to be more hassle then help. That double rig in the diagram should work but man it would be a Pita to rig, so you might want to avoid snags. 

Another option is to run a bait feeder with a few hooks off of it, I've run that a lot overseas but it can still tangle. 

Another option is a treble swivel on a running sinker rig, you tie a long leader on the bottom and a short leader on the side swivel. 

I've used that and it doesn't tangle nearly as often or nearly as bad, and it works good. 

Thanks Bob, i guess i need to work on improving my paternoster rig. Thanks for other alternatives as well!

A paternoster rig with 2 drop loops as in the pic. Just make sure that the 2 hooks are far enough apart that they can't hook each other. I also like to use a bit of light line between the bottom swivel (or loop) and the sinker so if you snag the sinker on the bottom, it will be much easier to break the sinker off and not lose all the hooks and part of the main line. Just make sure that the light line is strong enough, so you don't snap it when casting and lose the sinker before it even hits the water.

1583425492_Paternosterrig.jpg.c0d28938f3a5b0a8573a6c2cc0d47d66.jpg

59 minutes ago, Ed. said:

A paternoster rig with 2 drop loops as in the pic. Just make sure that the 2 hooks are far enough apart that they can't hook each other. I also like to use a bit of light line between the bottom swivel (or loop) and the sinker so if you snag the sinker on the bottom, it will be much easier to break the sinker off and not lose all the hooks and part of the main line. Just make sure that the light line is strong enough, so you don't snap it when casting and lose the sinker before it even hits the water.

1583425492_Paternosterrig.jpg.c0d28938f3a5b0a8573a6c2cc0d47d66.jpg

Thanks Ed, yes i was using the rig before.  How long do you usually make your dropper? Mine is about 15cm which i regard a bit short but enough to avoid tangling with main line.  Shorter dropper seems ineffective for me. 

15-20cm works for me as well, the distance from the sinker to the bottom hook also varies depending on how high I want the hook above the bottom to avoid the bottom pickers, easier from a boat, not easy if you have to cast the rig out. If I am in a current and from a boat and you lower the jig slowly the current tends to keep the hooks apart, but better to have the distance between the hooks greater than the length of the two droppers so the hooks don't tangle with each other especially if your casting.

Using heavier line makes the dropper loops stick out better but also makes the line much more visible to the fish, so a bit of a trade off there. When live baiting I generally only use one hook but occasionally add a stinger hook through the tail if it is a big bait.

2 hours ago, Ed. said:

15-20cm works for me as well, the distance from the sinker to the bottom hook also varies depending on how high I want the hook above the bottom to avoid the bottom pickers, easier from a boat, not easy if you have to cast the rig out. If I am in a current and from a boat and you lower the jig slowly the current tends to keep the hooks apart, but better to have the distance between the hooks greater than the length of the two droppers so the hooks don't tangle with each other especially if your casting.

Using heavier line makes the dropper loops stick out better but also makes the line much more visible to the fish, so a bit of a trade off there. When live baiting I generally only use one hook but occasionally add a stinger hook through the tail if it is a big bait.

Thanks again for giving me all the practicals and there are lots of tradeoff in making it work. I only fish onshore and use 20 lb fc to make dropper rig, i find the dropper stiff enough to stick out. However i wonder if i should use 50 lb line to make the dropper longer and stick out better since I fish mostly at night.