$300 flatty setup and a new boat setup FINAALLLY

Mylesfisher

Hey all  i have finally done the boat it has a seadeck casting deck from aluminium sheet and new seats and stickers we also have a watersnake geospot on it my mate has recently signed up for the flatty classic i only fish for trevs and other seaway fish so i needed to buy a $300 setup probably for the bigger flatties also some ideas on lures to fish would be great

11 hours ago, Tuna are fish said:

$300 is a bit excessive for big flatties, but you are really after a good set up i would go with the Shimano Sedona 3000 and for the rod the Shimano raider flathead it has a great tip for casting and comes in multiple sizes. paired with 20 pound braid.

I would be going less than 20lb for flatties. I am no expert but would suspect 10lb would be sufficient. The Sedona’s are a good reel for the price.

It doesn't quite work like that unfortunately. 

Especially when the wife out of the blue says "why don't we get a new couch" and your forced to reply "I wish you said that before I spent $2500 on a couple of new fishing rods" 

But at least that conversion happened in summer so it wasn't cold spending a couple of nights sleeping on the old couch. 🤣

Although quickly back on topic, I've always found it's better to spend the bulk of your budget buying the best reel you can and spending less on the rod. 

Especially when fishing in salt water, you want a reel that will avoid corroding, if you look after it then it will serve you well for many years to come. 

You can always upgrade the rod latter if you want.