Types of Castnets

Nessi

Get the best one you can afford. I bought a cheap Wilson cast net once that had what looks like curtain rings instead of lead along the bottom. It was useless. The rings weren’t closed properly and used to catch the net, making it impossible to throw. And those rings rust really quickly if you don’t rinse and dry the net after use in salt water. At a minimum, you want to make sure that the weights are lead.

Edited by Old Scaley
Autocorrect drives me nuts

The Wilson lead bottom ones from BCF are good for catching bait and prawns in general. You can buy them in top and/or bottom pocket sizes. I like 3/4 inch for bait. You can get them from all the big tackle shops for about 80 to 200 bucks depending on price and style. 

If you want one specifically for prawning you'll probably want a better quality one from a net maker, with a chain bottom and top pocket. 

36 minutes ago, Nessi said:

Was just wondering what the best type of cast net is to get. @tiotonydo u just use the normal wilson cat net?

What @ellicat said.

Get as large a castnet as you can carry weights for. Lots of people rave about the chain leds and custom / hand made cast nets.

If you are new to cast netting be prepared to rip a few too on snags.

31 minutes ago, Kat said:

There are also draw string cast nets which I understand are useful for catching baits in deeper water (can be used in shallow too).

The drawstring nets are great for casting off a boat. They are a bit more fiddly but you don’t have fish dropping out of the net as you bring it over the gunnels.