Cast Net

Bood

Hey brains trust...

im trying to master the art Of throwing a cast net without falling in the river myself..... no matter what I try it never seems to want to open up into a circle only a weird straight line.... I’m tryin and trying and then I see some young teenager rock up and throw a bigger net and get the biggest circle I’ve ever seen.... 

frim the description I’ve given of how my net sits can anyone explain wtf I’m doing wrong I’ve attached a dodgey drawing and the red line is what my net does or it twists up completely 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

59F71E64-0B64-431C-A6C4-8929A03CC3FE.jpeg

G’day Bood

I’ll film a video of me doing it tomorrow if I have time from school. Dad can get a pretty big spread with this method, but I’m still learning to throw the ten footer and getting stronger. Lol. 

Otherwise, it’s practise, practise, practise. Watch different YouTube videos too, and see if there might be a different method for you. And experiment with the way you throw it - I don’t know what method you use, but try having more of the net in one hand, less in one, more of a flick, etc.

Cheers Hamish

43 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

G’day Bood

I’ll film a video of me doing it tomorrow if I have time from school. Dad can get a pretty big spread with this method, but I’m still learning to throw the ten footer and getting stronger. Lol. 

Otherwise, it’s practise, practise, practise. Watch different YouTube videos too, and see if there might be a different method for you. And experiment with the way you throw it - I don’t know what method you use, but try having more of the net in one hand, less in one, more of a flick, etc.

Cheers Hamish

yeah sweet where do u practice? creek or back yard

It’s all about practise. Start in a local park and try to get circles on the grass. Easier to practise and added bonus u don’t get wet. From what you are saying you are getting what we often call a banana throw.

Usually this is not spreading the leds initially or the biggest trick using the ring/pinky finger to hold onto the net until the last moment, this will get the net to open up.

Hey @Bood Practice in back yard or anywhere with a sandy bottom, river, beach whatever. I was only learning a coye of months ago in my back yard and then in the water.  I watched many YouTube videos and was having difficulty until @deegee12gput me onto a video bu Paul Burt.  I showed my brother this method a week ago and he had a perfect circle second cast.  Took me a bit longer than that though.  You will see in Paul's video he has trouble with smaller nets - same problem you are maybe? Can't post link but it is YouTube video Paul Burt Shimano.  

I think his method is much easier.  Works for me even with a small net.

Cheers Kat