Barra trauma

benno573

15 hours ago, GregOug said:

On a slightly positive note, it seems that a crocodile this far south was an oddity and almost unthinkable, even back then. 

Yeah but you have to remember the global warming whoha, combined with growing populations of em up north and it's enviable they will move south. 

Well in theory that is, and we all know how reliable theories are. 😉

Many years ago a mate & I were sitting in the shallows of the Kiewa river late one summer arvo having a beer and enjoying the cool water. We'd been there for about half an hour and next thing this six foot red bellied black swims down stream between us and kept going. Thought it was a stick at first then realised rather quickly that it was a snake.

I think you are spot on - climate change - the eastern current is warming and population increase will naturally bring all things tropical further south like the iryakangi (sp?) that are being found in increased numbers at Fraser Is recent.

Difference to the 1905 report and now is the massive population increase of the possible food source….humans.  1905 all of Aus had @2-3mil I guess.  Now there is more than that just in SEQ and our past time of swimming and surfing is somewhat more advanced.  I bet the croc gets harsher treatment than the sharks 😉

On 07/01/2023 at 1:06 PM, Bob9863 said:

Yeah but you have to remember the global warming whoha, combined with growing populations of em up north and it's enviable they will move south. 

Well in theory that is, and we all know how reliable theories are. 😉

The water is warming up and like you say, the population is increasing. Competition for territory is a real thing. If the temperature is warm enough they will move there. I suspect it will be smaller specimens first as they (particularly smaller males) are chased out of areas by dominant males. So they look for new places. It is inevitable. Water temperatures are rising and debate over reasons or responsibility will not stop repercussions.