Reel for pe 8-10 setup

mzaakir

Hi guys,

I am buying myself a Daiwa Saltist Hyper v2 in the pe 8-10 rating and would like to know what reel i should get.

I am a bit confused on the PE rating and what reel to get for a pe10 setup. I know that daiwa and shimano have different sizes for reel, like a daiwa 6000 might be equivalent to a shimano 10000. 

I will post likely be throwing big poppers and other big lures and trolling sometimes. 

What reel should i get and also what line should i spool it with, I was thinking 80 pound braid but don't know whether i should use braid or mono since its a heavy setup but i know using braid for lures is a better idea.

Diawa is the same in sizing as shimano now. 

Value for money imo. 

21 Certate 14000xh. 

Same as the saltiga internals, with the older saltiga rotor. 

Strong as nails. 

Yes I have one. 

You'll get 300m of Diawa saltiga 12 braid in PE6 on it. 

It is equivalent to 100lb in other lines but nowhere near as thick. Brilliant for casting. 

Get a penn slammer, underrated reel IMO, fully sealed, 9 bb, braid ready not need for backing (tho i always put at least a few wraps on), with a high recovery rate in most models, models 6500 and above you'll get more than 300m of 50 and insane drag, its tough as nails.  If you do end up looking at penn the best reel is the slammer not the ssm or the Authority 

47 minutes ago, mzaakir said:

im in Calamvale but go that side a bit, i go to shops to feel and then buy online. they tend to be cheaper

I’m ok with paying a little more to shop where there is service provided. Otherwise, one day there will be no tackle shops where you can go and feel and look at gear, or get some advice about tackle.  But I do understand why others may shop online.

Yeah, fully agree with you Steve.

I buy a lot online only because I live remote and don't have access

to shops, but for fishing gear everybody should support your local bloke

because as you say one day they wont be there and also if something goes

wrong you can at least go back to the shop and sort things out.

I even try to only buy Aus made if I can, but that's pretty hard.

That's why there's no corner stores anymore, thanks to woolies/coles.

End of rant.

I pretty much only buy at shops.  I thought Tackle warehouse at Coorparoo was expensive but their prices are actually inline with the online places on most stuff eg Shimano reels.  They do price match as well.  Plus if you buy a combo they definitely give a decent discount.  

Sounds like I am doing an advert for them but they do provide good advice and have a great range of good gear, so when they give you the time and advice it’s my preference to buy from a shop.  

I do buy stuff like lures/plastics etc from Anaconda when they have a deal on though.