How to cast further with heavier lures and rods.

Sunnyy

I have been trying to cast some heavier lures using this exact setup. 

Rod: SALTIST HYPER STICKBAITER S792-4/6 --> PE 4-6, Cast weight (60-120g), 8 ft length.

Reel: 21 Daiwa Saltist MQ 20000 spooled with 60lb braid. 

I have been trying to cast some stick baits in the 80-100g range and I have only been getting ~30m in casting distance.

On youtube, I've seen people cast at least 50-60m using similar setups...

What do you guys think the problem is? 

On lighter setups, I have no trouble getting good distance with my casts. So I do not think my casting technique is super horrible (although it's not wonderful) to make such a big difference.

Cheers. 

yeah if your fishing rock ledges fishing alot heavier surface or suspending lures are great especially those 100-120grams, your rod isnt super long as well itll do the job but an 8'3 or 8'9ish would be grap. personally im not a fan of the 9ft 6 as i think its too long for me but anything over 8ft 3 is a dream. If your fishing off ledges and you know there big fishing which i would assume hence the heavy setup, id use a full spool of 50lb braid with a about 2m of 100 pound leader, i also like to leave move line between my lure and eyelet when casting since i can cast further

There are a number of factors that determine casting distance, reel, rod, line, lure, wind and casting technique.

Rod length plays a part, if you have the exact same set up (same reel, line and lure) however use an 8 ft rod or the same rod but 10ft, the 10 ft will cast it out further.

Line quality, as mentioned something like an 8 strand quality braid will cast further out as there is less friction between line and guides.

The same concept of friction applies to your braid to leader knot, as the knot will hit the guides casting.

Guide quality.

There are specific reels designed at long casts like the one below:

https://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/shimano-ultegra-xtc-reel/

There is also a cast technique called pendulum cast, I have never used this but ive seen guys do this technique when using heavy sinkers and sliding big/live baits.

See if this cast is applicable to lures.

Having the wind coming from behind you definitely helps.

On 15/05/2023 at 2:03 PM, Sunnyy said:

I have been trying to cast some heavier lures using this exact setup. 

Rod: SALTIST HYPER STICKBAITER S792-4/6 --> PE 4-6, Cast weight (60-120g), 8 ft length.

Reel: 21 Daiwa Saltist MQ 20000 spooled with 60lb braid. 

I have been trying to cast some stick baits in the 80-100g range and I have only been getting ~30m in casting distance.

On youtube, I've seen people cast at least 50-60m using similar setups...

What do you guys think the problem is? 

On lighter setups, I have no trouble getting good distance with my casts. So I do not think my casting technique is super horrible (although it's not wonderful) to make such a big difference.

Cheers. 

Thinner and lighter braid will move through your guides and through the air way easier. Old braid gets dryed out as well. When you get it new the good brands have coatings on em that make the line go through ur guides nicer. Shimano Grappler braid is really thin for its pe rating so that could be something worth investing in. The nomad hardbodies cast a mile, doesnt feel like they have a sliding weight in them from looking at some of mine. They cast miles, dont know what it is but they are the go for sure imo. Might be worth trying them out?

32 minutes ago, Noah Fitzpatrick said:

Thinner and lighter braid will move through your guides and through the air way easier. Old braid gets dryed out as well. When you get it new the good brands have coatings on em that make the line go through ur guides nicer. Shimano Grappler braid is really thin for its pe rating so that could be something worth investing in. The nomad hardbodies cast a mile, doesnt feel like they have a sliding weight in them from looking at some of mine. They cast miles, dont know what it is but they are the go for sure imo. Might be worth trying them out?

Agree. 

I run daiwa 12 strand in PE6. It's equivalent to 100lb breaking strain. 

I can get nearly 50m with those nomads without even really trying. Haven't measured it a full tilt but it would have to be out near 70 to 80m and that's with 170lb varavis leader. 

I also do not run the leader onto the Spool. It stops just short of bail. Must wear gloves though, or you'll rip your middle finger to pieces in no time.  

OK, lot of good points so far,
thinner newer line, weight , overhead as opposed to side cast and wind behind you.
Everyone seems to think distance is difficult!
Technique is everything and I am a big believer in overhead for distance and side for flat accuracy, but if you don't load the rod tip you don't have the rod working for you.
I could consistently push a 4oz sinker with a plastic pilly at 125 yards plus using 17lb mono with a 6'ish foot double leader (all paced on my local footy oval - I was made to put in a serious number of hours practicing!) with my FT120 4W
I was taught by a Tournament caster who was built like a brick outhouse and could consistently push 6ozs, 165 yds plus on his FT144 7W and put it through a 1 metre box at 120 with a side cast.
Years later I was chatting with a mate who said I was probably a bit ambitious with my distance estimations, so I went out the back and pushed 3 out with 4oz on my 6'6" Jig stick that went 96, 97, 96 all paced.

It is all technique, to get distance you must load the rod tip. If you don't load the rod tip, you won't get the slingshot effect and you won't get good distance.
You must match the cast weight with your rod.
You also need to practice, so you also have control (which is why I couldn't do 6oz, couldn't control it).
Don't wait till you're at your fishing spot, get out into the paddocks or your local footy oval with your fishing rod and a bucket of water and practice!

8 hours ago, Sylvathorn said:

I was taught by a Tournament caster who was built like a brick outhouse and could consistently push 6ozs, 165 yds plus on his FT144 7W and put it through a 1 metre box at 120 with a side cast.
Years later I was chatting with a mate who said I was probably a bit ambitious with my distance estimations, so I went out the back and pushed 3 out with 4oz on my 6'6" Jig stick that went 96, 97, 96 all paced.

That wouldn't have been Jeremy by any chance?

45 minutes ago, Ed. said:

That wouldn't have been Jeremy by any chance?

Yep, it was!
You've seen him cast then 🙂 
He could make his FT144 7W, Ambassadeur 9000C and 6ozs of lead absolutely fly.
We used to fish the gravel beds 110 metres off the end of Mornington Pier. If you couldn't reach them, you wouldn't catch any decent Snapper, which is why he made me practice until I could consistently get out over 120 metres.

3 hours ago, Ed. said:

I will give you a call tonight.

Cheers

Ed.

3 hours ago, Ed. said:

I will give you a call tonight.

Cheers

Ed.

Waiting .... waiting ............ cooking a turkey hindquarter ATM

Hey Ed, were you there that weekend on Mornington pier when that boatload of yobbo's went up the Eastern side, way too close, cutting off everone's lines with their prop. and laughing at us all, and then anchored 80 or 90 metres off the end of the pier. There were a few of our group there, pretty certain Jeramy and I, plus Steve, Shane, I think Pete and a few others. It ended up an exciting afternoon .... if you were there you will remember .... Jeremy featured 😉 

Yep, did that, they suggested resetting the router to factory settings, so I just uploaded the backup config file to the router which I know worked. I still think that it is Telstra fiddling around with the network as we have been getting weekly notices that they are doing work on the network. Anyway, I will see how this resetting works before contacting them again.