Barra Gear help!!??!!

Ash

Hey all,

As im looking to go to Monduran for my first attempt at Barra, i need some hints and tips in regards to what gear to buy?

What sought of barra set up should i be looking at? Baitcaster or spin, or does it matter.

I got i baitcaster combo i can use for trolling, matched with 30lb braid and 50lb mono leader. Bit id like to do some casting too.

Also, what do i need to look for for good barra lures?

What's your budget? These days higher end spinning reels are probably better for barra than Baitcasters really.

If you're going to get a BC though talk to Kevin, he knows every aspect of every reel on the market as well as all the exotic ones only available overseas.

Plus at some stage he's actually owned a whole bunch of them :laugh:

Budgets not too high to be honest. But, that said, i know higher quality comes at a price. Ive already got a BC for trolling, so if i can get away with a spinner i would prefer it.

Would something like a reefraider snapper rod with a 4000 size reel do?

Have a look at some of Schultzys posts . I know he made a couple of suggestions in his sharking post and I am fairly certain there is a barra one also.

Any reasonable 4000 spinning reel will do as long as its not an australian ebay one most of the $50 specials the drags dont hold up under pressure and the reels wobble all over the place when you have a fish under pressure.

Cheers

Ray

Mate If your on a tight budget i'd look at the pflueger reels, Schultzy uses them and i've got 2 a Trion and one other i cant think of. The trion was only $80 about 12months ago so its probly only $60 now but its a really good reel for the money. Theirs also the pflueger Medalist which are about $130.

Ash, You don't need \"High end Gear\" to catch & land good Barra. It all depends on the fisherman and GOOOOD he is :laugh:

This is my old set up. Surecatch 8-10kg rod, Jarvis Walker 7000 reel with 20lb mono,and some old & scared \"Barra Baits\",all up about $120, never let me down and landed some 1+ mtr fellars. Both land & boat based. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCN0801.JPG

post-742-144598437196_thumb.jpg

back when i used to live up north and chase barra i always prefered baitcasters over spinning reels but it always comes down to personal preference.

as for the rod i used to use a little shimano crystal tip or whatever they called it with a shimano coriolis 200 and it stopped 80-100cm barra pretty fine.

i played it a bit sporty casue the rod was only abotu 3-5kilo or something

Ash - If you're going to Monduran you may want to stay away from Braid. There are lots of trees and the Barra run past em real quick.

The Spin Gear Shamino 4000 would be just perfect (not as good as the Daiwa 4000 but OK).

A normal heavy spin stick will do you as long as it's an ugly stick. They don;t break you know, refer to the Castle.

Stay away from braid?:ohmy:

Thatd feel wierd. Havent had a mono only reel for years!

So you reckon an ugly stick huh? Might have to look into it.

Thanks guys.

Im going to try out a few of those Yowie Barra lures from that guys in Kilcoy (if i can get hold of him that is). If anyones keen, might want to bulk order off him.

flathead wrote:

Nice work lozzel its good to see someone who dosent spend a fortune on gear and yet gets as good and better results onya mate;)

Mate couldnt afford good gear with 2 x-wives & 3 kids to look after. Now all is good and I can usually afford what I like :(

Like fishing in New Zealand again :cheer:

Have a look at the latest Fishing World magazine. David Green has written an article on the advantage of smaller spinning reels over baitcasters in many situations. He says one of the best is a Daiwa Certate but that is pretty expensive.

A Symetre would probably be the best around that price range (again I'm recommending Shimano over Daiwa:p) as they have very strong drag and strong construction.

I reckon for stopping Barra you have to look at a 4000 Twin power or a similar Daiwa model. 22lb of drag is insane. Tell me of 1 BC that can pull that hard in that price range. I know that's expensive but for what you are getting and the fun you'll have out of it it's a bargain IMO.

Spinning reels aren't like they used to be. Read that article by David Green Cowfish mentioned and you'll be convinced.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

if u don't wanna use bc when trolling and casting for barra, u won't use bc any time.

i would get a sheep from overseas or maybe just a zillion would do. upgrade the drag if u think u wanna muscle the fish.

Kev, whats a \"sheep\", are we still talking fishing gear?

Hey Mate,

I would deffinately go with a Steez!!! Mine can handle barra but i primaly use it for bass!! But on the cheaper side Try the Shimano curado 200DPV.. Or even better go to a tackle shop talk to a few Blokes and have a feel of the reel as people have different interestes and smooth to one person can be rough to another!!!:woohoo:

Will

Archived