Gain on a sounder

ellicat

Well depending on how good your sounder is.

On cheap model it is a nice little dial you can play with. On better models, it helps to filter out the background noise. Turning it up should reduce the clutter on the screen, but to far will also remove the fish!

Most frustrating feature in a sounder I reckon!

Be warned if your using the \"fish indicator\" feature, and have the gain to low, the unit will happily tell you you are over fish when you are not!

i have a good sounder and find the gain works great and without the adjustment it would be useless to use for anything!

the gain is the moast used button on my sounder and i love it too bitts now i know how to use it!:blush:

i find it expecialy good for cruising in dirty water looking for bottom structure!(if the gain is set wrong it will have allot of trouble finding the bottom, and will think that weed and crap in the water is fish or the bottom and give an incorrect reading)

it is also great in very deep water when finding fish!

it is a fast and simple way to check if they are bait fish or nice kingies or just clutter with the simple press of a button!

if you would like a more detailed reply on this i can post the gain section paragraf out of the fuuno manual for ya?

Ian

quote from the Furuno operator's manual

Adjusting the gain:

The (GAIN) key adjusts the sensativity of the reciever. genrally, use a higher gain setting for greater depths and a lower setting for shallower waters.

( CAUTION )

USE THE PROPPER GAIN SETTING.

incorrect gain setting may produce wrong depth indacation, possibly resulting in a dangerous situation.

then it goes on to the examples of proper and inproper gain!

the first pic shows the screen like it is snowing! and is captioned : gain to high.

the second pic showes a good clear pic with solid bottom and clear refections (fish) and is captioned : gain proper.

the third pic doesnt show much at all, very low reflections and the bottom looks broken up, and is cxaptioned: gain to low.

so all in all pretty dam ezy hay?

but it does not stop there? if you still have some or any forms of interference you may have to look into: surpressing interference! (interference can be caused by any eletrical device on your boat or nearby) this can be surpressed by adjusting the noise limit.

or

:surpressing low level noise. (this is mainly due to sediment in the water or noise)these can be suppressed by adjusting the clutter on the menu.

i hope this helps fellas!

Ian

rumrunner wrote:

quote from the Furuno operator's manual

Adjusting the gain:

The (GAIN) key adjus.....

it does not stop there? if you still have some or any forms of interference you may have to look into... adjusting the noise limit.

or

i hope this helps fellas!

Ian

Thanks for that rumrunner.

reelchippy, Looks like you'll have to either remove the cd/radio or turn it right down lol

umm not too sure mate ?

it all depends on the unit?

best way to tell would be trial en error? (start unpluging stuff)

get it all working (sounder and vhf ect) and then unplug the vhf from the main power and see if it makes a differance?

if it does fix the problem then start looking into a noise surpessor or a newer vhf with one built in to it?

Ian

Archived