Time for a AFO day at Barron Pocket - 3/2/08?

Feral

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many electrics are we up to?

I've just got mine and Kath and I are keen to give it a go!

If still OK and I can get the boat/elec/trailer sorted, can we play please?:silly: :kiss: ;)

Another question:

4. All batteries must be secured so if the boat turns over the batteries do not fall out.

How do you other clever tinny owners achieve this?

I have 2 big 6v linked to make 12v and they are heavy!

I'm thinking maybe some form of bracket or roping them to the bench seat (somehow?)

Any ideas appreciated.

Rocket

In the bullet, all my batteries are now mounted under the seats. It did have a set strapped in at one stage before I got my second set of batteries. I also did it in my little boat. I'll try and bump that thread/s and tell you what page number for you if it has any good picks in it.

Rocket, I used a bit of old seat belt, or it might have been an old tie down strap. Using the strap made life easy as it is easy to attach somewhere using screws.

Put batteries up against the seat, then using a small self tapper (something like a 6 or 8mm diameter) attach the strap to the seat, going around the batteries. Predrill the strap first on one side, then using the old screw driver drill, slowly press again seat (we are talking side of the seat here unless you want to sit on a screw all day!)once it gets started wind it in tight. Then put the strap around the batteries pulling them in as tight as you can, then get a rough idea where you want the screw on the other side to go, then pre drill it.

If you think the strap wont stop the batteries coming out the top if the boat turns over, you then tie either a bit of strap or rope near each end of the main strap, so it will go over the batteries when the main strap is around the batteries, it does not have to be real tight, who cares if the batteries slip an inch or two if the boat turns over, as long as they stay in it!

Then position the main strap around the batteries, and slowly start the self tapping screw, once started do it up tight. If you have put the rope / strap over the top you dont need to be to worried about how tight the strap is, it is only to stop the batteries coming out, they can move about a little.

I'll do some diagrams later - it is dead simple, the other beauty of it is you only have to undo one screw and you can get the batteries in or out. That one screw is strong enough.

If you have a floor in the boat you can just put the strap over the top of the batteries which is even easier.

pcsolutionman wrote:

We are all launching form the montville side. take the right hand turn off to montville before you get into maleny. follow this road just before you get to montville you will see a sign on your left for the dam take that road. then about 2-3kms down another sign again on the left follow this road down to the ramp.

Lee

Yeah ill def be launching at the Montville ramp and encourage others to do so. Its a better place to come back and have a BBQ in my opinion.

Angus

Sorry to go back to this but what Lb leader would be ideal for Baroon? I've got 8lb and 14lb but I'm thinking I should maybe get 10 or 12lb??

Another question, I'll be upgrading all the trebles on my Gvibes etc. What size is best? I'm thinking size 8 owner stingers should do the job??

pcsolutionman wrote:

yeh your 8lb will be fine

Lee

Yeah I agree with Lee. My first SP set up was matched with 6lb braid and 8lb leader 90% of the time.

I can honestly say the only fish that ver bricked me in Baroon was becuase i was casting from the bank over weed. Recipe for distaster. Fishing from yak or boat, youll have no worries.

Angus

Sweet, I really don't know what to expect that's all. Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll take two setups, one light 4lb setup for working shallow water with small lures and a heavier setup for working deeper running heavier lures or for throwing in at nasty structure. That way all bases covered.

Does anyone have access to something we can use as nametags for this event? Perhaps something simple that we can stick on our shirts so we know who is who? Sounds like there are going to be a fair few of us there and it will perhaps help break the ice and get to know each other?

Any thoughts fellow attendees?

Rocket

Ill use the old walk up and say g'day routine. Haha.

No i know what you mean Rocket. But hopefully no one is shy enough to sit in the corner so to speak? Failing that Feral and myself among others have had their names embroidered on their AFO shirts :)

Oh Leeann and Rob Payne are coming up as well to take some piccies maybe for a Kayak article which is cool.

WE better get some fish! Lol.

Angus

Rocket75 wrote:

Does anyone have access to something we can use as nametags for this event? Perhaps something simple that we can stick on our shirts so we know who is who? Sounds like there are going to be a fair few of us there and it will perhaps help break the ice and get to know each other?

Any thoughts fellow attendees?

Rocket

stick on labels they would be pack like bucks, then again its never to hard to spot a AFO gathering. look for the guys with no fish but still laughing. (well thats normally me anyway):laugh:

Malcolm wrote:

Is there a BBQ where we are gathering?

About 100m past the ramp is a picnic ground, tables toilets etc. Very good setup. It will be locked when most people launch (opens about 6ish I think).

Initial meet will be at the ramp, or on the water. Say 1 o'clock at the picnic ground for a feed?

I'll be parking the boat on the bank at the picnic ground at lunch time, you cant miss the silver bullet, you wont find to many 16 foot tinnies on the lake! If you get close enough, AFO sticker on the bum, "Fishintales" stickers on the bow with "Feral" in them!

Also as Angus said I'll be wearing my AFO shirt with "Feral" on the pocket, so if your not sure, just pester someone with a AFO sticker or shirt, they'll do the introductions.

Dan23 wrote:

Yeah, can one of the people who know Baroon maybe do us a favor and pop up a Google Earth image of where to meet??

dan do a wheris search on narrows road from your home adress and it will give a detailed turn by turn description and estimated travel time.

Segment 1 (map) Travel Est. Time Maps Hide All

Start: Start at WHYTECLIFFE ST, ALBION - head towards LITTLE ST 139 m < 1 min Show Map

Turn right at SANDGATE RD, ALBION 2.64 km < 4 mins Show Map

Turn right at EAST-WEST ARTERIAL RD, CLAYFIELD 1.93 km < 2 mins Show Map

Bear left at GATEWAY MWY, HENDRA 18.12 km 10 mins Show Map

Continue along GYMPIE ARTERIAL RD, BALD HILLS 1.63 km < 2 mins Show Map

Continue along BRUCE HWY, MURRUMBA DOWNS 34.27 km 21 mins Show Map

Continue along STEVE IRWIN WY EXIT, ELIMBAH 1.08 km < 1 min Show Map

Continue along STEVE IRWIN WY, ELIMBAH 20.21 km 15 mins Show Map

Bear left at RAMP, LANDSBOROUGH 91 m < 1 min Show Map

Continue along RAILWAY ST, LANDSBOROUGH 255 m < 1 min Show Map

Bear left at CALOUNDRA ST, LANDSBOROUGH 31 m < 1 min Show Map

Bear left at MALENY ST, LANDSBOROUGH 731 m < 2 mins Show Map

At the ROUNDABOUT - take the 2nd exit onto MALENY ST, LANDSBOROUGH 325 m < 1 min Show Map

Continue along LANDSBOROUGH-MALENY RD, LANDSBOROUGH 9.38 km 8 mins Show Map

Turn right at MALENY-MONTVILLE RD, MALENY 10.14 km 8 mins Show Map

Turn left at WESTERN AV, MONTVILLE 3.28 km < 4 mins Show Map

Turn left at NARROWS RD, MONTVILLE 264 m < 1 min Show Map

Stop: Stop at NARROWS RD, MONTVILLE Show Map

Subtotal: 104.52 km 1 hour 18 mins

Total: 104.57 km 1 hour 19 mins

For a comprehensive business search, visit Yellow.

SEARCH THE WEB

sensis.com.au

The turn off at Western Avenue is a bit sharp but you can see all the telstra towers when you are coming up to it. The towere are in Western ave.

Cheers

Ray

Archived