Bread as bait

EMP

I was given the tip recently to use really fresh bread, fold it over the hook and then squash it down, compressing it over the hook, it stops looking like bread, more like a slab/blob of dough, but stays on better and slowly disolves a bit acting as burley. hope it works, have not tried it yet.

Rocket

This being said, so we still have to leave the pointed end exposed?

Thanks guys. :)

Rocket75 wrote:

I was given the tip recently to use really fresh bread, fold it over the hook and then squash it down, compressing it over the hook, it stops looking like bread, more like a slab/blob of dough, but stays on better and slowly disolves a bit acting as burley. hope it works, have not tried it yet.

Rocket

Yeap plain white bread fresh as possible. Just squash it up like dough.

Also depending on what you are chasing, i have used a bit of tuna oil in the mix and it was killer on bream when i was younger.

Same recipe worked really well on gar as well, but with gar its prob going to work either way.

Angus

I used bread on many trips chasing Trout in streams back in Tassie. As the other guys have said fresh bread is the key. I've tacken some picks to help explain.

We used small long shanked hooks, But will work with any type and a strip of Fresh bread.

bread001AFO.jpg

Place the hook at the top of the bread strip. Fold/roll the bread over the hook and press hard.

bread002AFO.jpg

Roll the hook in the bread pressing firm with every roll. If you want you can add tuna oil or I've found Curry powder to work exelent, into the folds or rolls.

bread003AFO.jpg

The finished bait. If it's pressed nice and tight it will last quite a while in the water. I found the weight of the bread is more than enough for casting good distances with lite gear 8lb or less mono we used. But with braid it would be awesome. You can use as little or more bread as you see fit.

bread004AFO.jpg

Hope this helped, any questions feel free to ask.

Happy fishing

Jayson

chubbstar wrote:

:blink: I think he liked it:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All good mate, Hope it works for ya.;)

Jayson

Great stuff, Jayz! G'on yah!

Oh just one more thing: you didn't have to wet it in any way, did you? I mean, you didn't soak the bread into anything before you rolled it, did you?

And one more question: did you eat the bread after the demo? LOL.

I have found that weting the bread makes it very hard to compact onto the hook. A very small amount of Tuna oil shouldn't hurt, but rub it on the pressed part of the bread and then roll a fresh layer over the top or put the oil over the finished bait. The big thing is compacting the bread onto the hook tight.

And yes I munched on the bread when I finished taking the pic's.:laugh: I'm still trying to remove the hook from my top lip:blink::S

Jayson

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks again, mate.

chubbstar wrote:

I have found that weting the bread makes it very hard to compact onto the hook. A very small amount of Tuna oil shouldn't hurt, but rub it on the pressed part of the bread and then roll a fresh layer over the top or put the oil over the finished bait. The big thing is compacting the bread onto the hook tight.

And yes I munched on the bread when I finished taking the pic's.:laugh: I'm still trying to remove the hook from my top lip:blink::S

Jayson

Hey Chubbstar, Excellent job there. What a very kind and helpful man you are.

I was wondering if you could do something similar and show me the steps for a brazillian.

Just jokes ..:P :woohoo: hahahahahaha:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously ...it was a joke...please don't do it :X:silly: :laugh:

:blink: Ok mate I'll try, I have been doing this for quite some time now. She will enjoy it as much as you;)

I'm sorry but I not long ago took care of myself so I'll use something else to demonstrate.

Step 1 This is good gear. Belive me razors a dangerous, you may slip and get the sack;) Apply lots to the desired area leave for 5 minutes, then jump in the shower and wash off using a face washer. The hair just falls off:blink: :woohoo:

DONT USE SOAP, NOT GOOD. Follow directions on can.

nads003AFO.jpg

Apply to This

roosterAFO.jpg

And finished product ends up something like this:blink:

plucked20chicken.jpg

Thank me later;)

Any questions?

Jayson

• 3 weeks later...

yeh i use bread a fair bit i also use devon

both of these are good baits for me as i can go around to the smaller corner stores and get the out of date stuff so it is free

i use the crusts for the berly and the inside as the bait and for the devon i just thread it on sort of like chook gut (also another top bait and free at times but harder to get) even better is useing some devon and bread together as i think the smell from the devon helps

so far i have caught blackfih bream and flathead on it as well as the gars and mullet

i think almost any fish would eat a bread bait from time to time

• 5 weeks later...

late reply - trick i learnt was get some shrimp paste form asian grocery store or even coles etc (asian shops should be slightly cheaper) flour and fresh bread.

add water to some of the shrimp paste to soften it - you can even turn it into liquid.

get some flour and mix into a dough add some fresh bread crumbs for texture and add the shrimp paste

mix it throughly and add the dry ingredients or liquid to suit the texture of your liking.

Sounds like a nice little mixture there namyau!! Im gunna give it ago this weekend for a few carp. Caught 1 small carp last weekend on plain white bread but the bites were far and few between even though there was carp rising every few minutes or so...

The smelly dough mix might encourage a few more bites! [img size=300]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/carp-f795a9412edeeb742509514b153d9cdd.jpg

post-633-144598451038_thumb.jpg

no worries - just dont make too much and freeze it cos the moisture fromw when it thaws out will stuff up the mix, you've also gotta play around and find your own desired texture. if you want you could also add in tuna oil, anised, stimulate etc

Dazzamcgee wrote:

Sounds like a nice little mixture there namyau!! Im gunna give it ago this weekend for a few carp. Caught 1 small carp last weekend on plain white bread but the bites were far and few between even though there was carp rising every few minutes or so...

The smelly dough mix might encourage a few more bites! [img size=300]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/carp-f795a9412edeeb742509514b153d9cdd.jpg

There good fun ey. When we used to go camping in NSW we used to catch 3-4kg models just on floated bread baits. You would see them all come up and start sniffing at it before one took the plunge and took it. There'd be a big thrash on the surface, followed by the whole school scattering. You'd have to wait liek half an hour for them to come back.

sorry bit off topic :S

Cheers.

Archived