Lake Kurwongbah Tilapia Cull Report

Angus

Hey everyone.

I thought Id kick this off.

Im going to brief as im going to do an official AFO report for the front page.

But first off thanks for all those that attended.

ALso a massive thanks to our sponsors:

Viking Kayaks and Searing Tackle.

We caught a total of 765 (there were a few late weigh ins) so thats an awesome effort.

Also for those of you who were not aware the local council is giving the Pine River Stocking Group $20 for each hour each AFO member fished the Dam. This money will go to stocking the dam with Saratoga.

All up thanks to your efforts we raised (from the counsil alone) over $7000.00 for stocking and an extra few hundred from enrty fee's.

Thanks guys.

This will be the beginning of a great fishery.

Angus

Thats great AFO:woohoo: Nice new Yak for Jimmy, well done mate. Any chance of this happening again soon Angus??:kiss:

Once again I missed out:( Got a call from someone to look at a car I have for sale, Been waiting for them all friggen day. But they made it and want the car:woohoo:

Jayson

whatnow wrote:

how big was the biggest tilapia?

Haha whatnow good question...

Not one decent size fish was included in that number.

I dont know where the big ones where but they were not where we were.

However a Tilly is a tilly as far as the cull went.

Ill give you a clue as to size.

Jimmybobs 141 fish weighed 3.9kg.

Jeff F's 88 fish weighed 3.6kg (smaller number bigger fish).

Benno's 49 Fish weighed 2.6kg.

Bretts 62 fish weighed 2.2kg.

The biggest one o saw would have been roughly 20cm :P

Angus

Yeap yeap and yeap.

It was a great day, we should do it again real soon and great result for stocking group.

Congrates Jimmy, 141 was amazing, deserving winner.

Bad luck Jeff, missed by 300 gms but Jimmy did do you with numbers.

I ended up with 18 fish for a neat KG that's a wooping 55.5 gms each fish.

Thanks to the Sponsors again, Viking are sure the Kings when it comes to these promos.

username_taken wrote:

wow that's awesome. An awesome new ride for mrs jimmybob ?

Wish I could have made it, but family commitments will do that to you.

What was the winning combo of bait/rig ? I reckon a light rod with 1 pound line, you wouldn't care if the tillies are only small.

i was using a paternoster rig with a pencil float on top as a bite indicator and pieces of peeled prawn or garden worms

On another plus note i bagged my PB Spangled Perch today.

It was a whopping 30cm. hahaha. But im used to the spanglies at baroon that max out at about 20cm. I love those little guys.

Most successful, rig... From what i saw easily a two hook paternoster.

The fish were small so it helped I think not having the sinker between the line and the hooks.

I really wonder where the bigger fish hold up in this weather? From past comps and evidenced in the fish kills over winter there are plenty of 30, 40 and even larger specimens in there. So where are they?

Do you think its possible that many larger ones (the original broods) died off in the last fish kills, and now due to number they are somewhat stunted?

One sad thing (well depressing anyway) was the baby tillies in the shallows. Each square meter would hold 100 1cm tilapia. Its insane. Although our efforts cannot be ignored, the dam is clearly infested. Hopefully the future stocking plans (species wise) could turn that into a positive, as the potential future stocked species will enjoy these tasty treats :P:)

Ill let Shayne fill everyone in with the future stocking plans (hopes) if he gets a chance.

Angus

Well done to all those who managed to pull a few invaders out today, especially the prize winners, big effort.

There must have been a trick to it, and Kath and I didn't have anything up our sleeves or in our hats!

Between us, we caught......ONE!

Either side of us EMP, Faulked and Kero were catching em, we couldn't even give away our bait:blink:

Great to see so many people there today. Men and Women, Boys and Girls, even the family dog got a run (on leash of course;).

Well organised and succesful despite some inclement conditions, big effort AFO:woohoo:

Rod and Kath

Arrived there for the prize giving and speeches after surfing on NPD. It certainly looked like it was a great day and very well organised.

I was thinking the other day why dont we have a regular meet and greet night at some pub or club then I realised how many organised events we have every month.

Maybe we need an events committee to take some of the workload off Angus and co.

Anyhow enough waffle thanks to the organisers and congratulations to all the participants. You didnt have to win a prize just being there and supporting BPO and PRFMA and Lake Kurwongbah is enough.

Cheers

Ray

Just a quick apology and correction.

3rd place was avtually one by Benno!! With a bag weighing 2.6kg.

I read the stats when i got home wrong sorry.

Bretts commendable effort put him in 4th place.

I have edited the original posts to reflect this and avoid confusion.

Angus

Archived