Purple lures.

rayke1938

Why is it that a lot of overseas manufacturers do not make many purple lures.

Most aussie ones usually include at least one in their range but it seems to be rare for the japanese to have them.

Is it only aussie fish that like purple?

For exanple i would like to try a purple sammy.

Cheers

Ray

I asked this on the Strike King forum in the states Ray. They love their American Bass fishing and out of 100's of models they make guess what: No purple!!

Also i noticed a serious lack in the Asian market.

I wonder what that says about Australian fish :P

Or do you think if we went to the states or asia with some purple spinner baits or predateks we would clean up!!!

Angus

it is a good question. with largemouth bass fishing, the trend has been to use purple in limited doses and only with soft plastics. you have the junebug colour and an older colour called tequila sunrise which was purple and black. Spinnerbaits in purple, blue, black or combinations are unheard of unless it is in jigs for flipping and in spinnerbaits designed for night fishing. when it comes to hardbodies, a few makers such as manns ventured into these colours. The big trend is towards chartreuse and white styles.

as an importer it is a real challenge to find colour combos that meet australian needs.....but i'am working on it:laugh:

will wrote:

when i was making my lures purple/black was a comon colour ask 4. i did well on the colour morning/late afternoon.i have seen a small spray gun 4 around $35 works well just need to keep them cleaned well

I had a quick look on Ebay, $15-$110 for a gun, $110 for a small compressor, then theres paint, thinners etc + time.

I'll have a think and do the math. No point if I have to charge to much:huh:

Jayson

I bought my wife an airbrush set up recently but it cost about $600 for compressor and airbrush and it had never crossed my mind to use it to customise lures. You can pick up pretty some good entry level guns on ebay for cheap as chips and they are pretty good for the price.

faulked wrote:

were they as popular fishing off the bank or just trollling

didnt fish it casting, coz it was 150mm, so yea, you get the picture, but it did get many more hits than the other different coloured lures in the spread.

i reckon it's got sth to do with the silhouette being easier to see as purple is a relatively solid colour, and would stand out better in murky waters.

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

faulked wrote:
were they as popular fishing off the bank or just trollling

didnt fish it casting, coz it was 150mm, so yea, you get the picture, but it did get many more hits than the other different coloured lures in the spread.

i reckon it's got sth to do with the silhouette being easier to see as purple is a relatively solid colour, and would stand out better in murky waters.

Yeah, I saw something on this on a fishing show the other day. They were saying darker lures show up better on the troll as the fish can pick them out. Lighter coloured lures get lost in the blue sky above and aren't as noticeable.

Feral wrote:

Where do you get your purple spinner baits Dino? Cant say I have ever seen one in a tackle shop.

really just about every spinnerbait brand i have seen has them in purple bassman and smak both have a least three Different purple spinnerbaits in their range bassman you can get at tacklewarehouse at coorparoo

Archived