Lesson for young guns

Dinodadog

I have just had some more sunspots burnt off, 1 on the top of each ear, 2 on the nose, 7 on right arm and 5 on left arm. Last year it was 22 on right arm , 14 on left arm, 4 on nose and 2 off each ear.

So for all the young guns and those not so young cover up.

Long sleeved shirts were always to hot for me, but now I have found its kool to be hot

Jocky caps might look kool but they don't protect the ears.

I still can,t get used to the wrap around hats, but they are the best face cover

I also have trouble with the fingerless gloves they seem to atract the hooks.

But excuses don't prevent the problem. Its how you protect yourself now that counts.

So a little advice from an old salt, who has been zapped to many times in the last 5 years.

Its kool to cover up.

Fish while you can

Dinodadog

Yep, we learnt the lesson about sunscreen in the late 70's and 80's. Turned out all that slip slop slapping was pretty much useless, it stopped you getting burned, but not the stuff that gave you skin cancer.

Probably one of the reasons for many of the skin cancers these days is because we followed advice back then.

Only safe way is to cover up, add the sunscreen as well, but cover what you can with clothing or hats.

PS, I go in to get worked over every couple of years as well. I always used sun screen, and would not have got sun burnt more than once or twice in my 20 years working on the roads. Last 10 years have all been long sleeves and long pants.

There are a few places around that do it for nothing (bulk billed) I think the one I go to is at Strathpine, in the old pizza hut building, another in everton park somewhere.

Yeah nice one dino. Being of the chosen kind, (red haired) i have to cover up like a vampire in the day. Hats, long sleeves, gloves and long pants and sunscreen and glasses. Last week at the stanly i didnt cover my legs up and im still red and sore. Ive had many cut out and i have few under review at the moment.

Good message Dino

Whatever happened to a lotion called Sun block it was a clear liquid (as in sunscreen) you could buy we used it all the time when fishing and never got any color change or burning all day it was brilliant stuff but disapeared off the market

Ok you may have glowed green for a day or to but never burnt :woohoo:

j/k it was great

I think the person who invents a sunscreen that adds attractant to your bait rather a deterrent after application will out rival bill gates lol

Gaz

good advice though

Yeah, I've started to become really wary about sun damage, cover myself up pretty well these days, try to avoid as much bare skin as possible, especially on the 'yak where you get silly spots exposed do to the seating position ( front of the ankles cop a hiding if you're not careful ). There's a good thread on AKFF from one of the old fellas that really made me think.

Gazza wrote:

Whatever happened to a lotion called Sun block it was a clear liquid (as in sunscreen) you could buy we used it all the time when fishing and never got any color change or burning all day it was brilliant stuff but disapeared off the market

Gaz it went the same way as all of the "all day" sun screens around about 10 years ago, they found the active ingredient caused skin cancer. Thats why you will never see a sunscreen that lasts more than 4 hours anymore.

Feral wrote:

Gazza wrote:

Gaz it went the same way as all of the "all day" sun screens around about 10 years ago, they found the active ingredient caused skin cancer. Thats why you will never see a sunscreen that lasts more than 4 hours anymore.

It had a SPF of around 80 thats why u never got burnt!!

There was also another sunscreen (cant think of the name) that had silver flecks through it and it was 100 SPF though it went of the market many years ago due to it having active ingredients..

Its funny though as a country we have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world but have the lowest SPF rated sunscreens compared to the rest of the world....:silly:

Covering up is the best way to avoid sun damage to your skin, but sunscreen is still a good option, the best way is to apply about 15 mins before you go out into the sun and reapply after half an hour of sun exposure. you only really need spf 30 anyways, it basically means you can last 30 times longer in the sun without getting burned. so for example if you burn after 12 mins, with spf 30 you will only burn after 6 hours. that is assuming none of the sunblock applied is rubbed off or washed off.... sun block will save you from getting burned which helps but doesn't totally protect from the harmful rays of the sun

my ex-boss used to use some japanese titanium based sunscreen. damn expensive; around AUD70 for a 80ml bottle. the SPF rating was SPF160 tho. thing with it was, it was really damn thick, and after getting a layer on his face, he looked like a clown lol. seemed to work tho, he never got burnt much.

for me, basically long sleeve SPF30 shirt, long pants + long socks and a columbia hat (model with the neck flap) to top it off. oh, dont forget the Oakleys ;)

Cowfish13 wrote:

Yeah, I'm really thinking about getting a long sleeve fishing shirt. I get burnt frequently during summer (never in winter:)) on the tops of my arms/wrists (when lure fishing) and I'm getting sick of it:blink:

Perfect excuse to get a AFO shirt :) they're awesome.

And don't forget good old Fido

It has been proven Dogs get burnt ears and noses so if your going fishing with man's best friend get some protection for them too B)

Like these guys I found in a caravan park in Albany WA

coolAFO.jpg

No joke they wondered around the park like that all day :woohoo:

Gaz

Archived