Baroon Pocket 6/4/08

Rocket75

The plan was to have a relaxing morning at home and then hit Baroon for an afternoon of Bassing. Conditions looked less than encouraging with ugly grey clouds and strong winds, but determined to make the most of our Sunday we went anyway hoping for better weather at our destination.

A small patch of blue on the horizon drew us onwards, but rain and gloom continued for most our journey. For those of you who have yet to visit Baroon, it is situated in a valley near Maleny and Montville. Take care driving down to the ramp as there are quite steep roads that can be a bit slippery at times.

We arrived at the Maleny ramp at 2.00pm to find quite a lot of cars parked in the picnic area, but only one with a boat trailer, so we had no problem with the 10 motorized craft limit.

Payment made and form lodged we hit the water in what felt like ideal conditions.

We soon found that the sheltered location of the ramp can give you a false impression.

The wind was fairly ripping across the dam making it tough to steer and a bit bumpy in the more exposed reaches.

As soon as we cleared the abundant weed we let loose our lures for a troll to the left of the ramp in about 20m of water. Despite plenty of fish showing on the sounder, we got no hits on our way to the nearby standing timber. Planning on casting spinnerbaits close to shore for a bit of protection, we closed in our destination and pulled in the lures to clear the decks. Both lures picked up some weed in the shallower water, and one of the lines was quite heavy loaded with about 1kg of weed, and much to our surprise, a small bass.

Looking somewhat like “Cousin It†from the Adams Family, we took a picture of the healthy little fella and sent him back home.

[img size=336]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Baroon_Pocket_060408_003.jpg

It looked like he took the Strike King Crank Bait Series 3 in Chartreuse/Black just as we stopped trolling and then headed for the safety of the weed.

Casting spinnerbaits for the next hours or so bought a number of hits, and one solid hookup lost to the weed after a short fight:angry: .

With the open water calling, we stowed the spinners and deployed the trolling lures again.

Paired with the Strike King on Kath’s rod, I had on a large(ish) Ridgeback lure that trolled 6-10 meters. At just $5.00 :woohoo: on special from BCF it looked like a great bass/cod lure, and today it got christened.

I had worried that it would be a bit big for the resident Bass, but I need not have been.

Over the next couple of hours we trolled and cast our way across the dam, but only 3 more fish were landed, all on the Ridgeback. Size varied from approx 20cm to 35cm which goes to show just how aggressive these little Bass are.

I’m looking forward to giving it a go at Hinze or Somerset in the near future.

As the hours flew by the inclement weather closed in, so we headed for home and got back to the ramp at about 5.45. I had planned on casting poppers at dusk, but the rain and wind put paid to that, so we packed up and hit the frog and toad.

All in all we enjoyed our afternoon and look forward to our next Baroon session, (bring on the glassed out water, high clouds and gentle breeze!)

Only sour note was the broken tip on my Pflueger Trion:( . Whilst pulling line by hand against drag to retie a leader, I must have twisted it just the wrong way and snap…oh well, just a bit of repair work and it’ll be as good as new (if a bit shorter).

Thanks for reading.

Rocket

post-953-144598451629_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys.

The water is still a bit murky but the overcast conditions today may have added to the effect.

Weed is really thick.

Basically anywhere that is shallower than 10m is heavily weeded.

Spinnerbaits were constantly bringing back weed and grass which was pretty annoying and one of the reasons we headed to the deeper water.

Lots of "fish" showing on the sounder, but hard to tell just how many of them are fish and how much of it is weed.

Rocket

Archived