Which Baicaster???

Wilson

G'day All

Haven't posted in a while (haven't had much to post about), It looks like I'll be getting BCF vouchers for my b/day next month and I reckon it's gonna be about the $250.00 mark. I'm looking to get myself a decent baicaster to pair up with my 6'3" Pfluger Trion, I have the Pfluger Echlon on it at the moment but I just can't seem to cast a decent distance(over 40 feet) with lighter lures (3-5g) no matter what setting I have it on. But mainly to cast Spinner baits and poppers. I do have a spin outfit that that could most likely out cast all of the below but I just love using baitcasters. The Baicasters around that range I am looking at are,

Daiwa Tierra

Daiwa Viento

Daiwa HRF

Daiwa Sol (very big maybe)

Pfluger Trion

Pfluger President

Pfluger Summit (very big maybe)

Abu Revo STX

Shimano Curado

Shimano Cruxis

I have never used any of these reels (only played with them in the shop) so I have no idea which way to go, so any info on these or any other reels would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Greg

Depending on the shape of the lure, the Curado, President and Viento can all cast 3grams. The others almost definatey can, but I've never used them so I'm not sure on their performance.

My President can cast an Ecogear CK40 (5g, fat lure) very very easily. Usually have to cut off my cast when fishing in streams:) I can get alot of distance with it. I can also cast a Smith Camion (2.7g, fat lure) about 10m or so.

I have no idea what Kevin is talking about with extra tuning of the reel:S I've never heard of doing that. Can you explain it Kevin?

Cowfish13 wrote:

Depending on the shape of the lure, the Curado, President and Viento can all cast 3grams. The others almost definatey can, but I've never used them so I'm not sure on their performance

I have no idea what Kevin is talking about with extra tuning of the reel:S I've never heard of doing that. Can you explain it Kevin?

Check out the tuning parts on Bass.jp and those sorts of sites. You can upgrade your spools to be lighter and get fancy handles etc.

all reels except the sol have deep or heavy spool(12-18grms) so a lighter/shallower spool's needed for low starting inertia. ZPI offers some super light spools (9-11grms)for light rig casting.

most reels can cast 3grms weight but not all of them can really put a bait that light a good distance. for light lure casting, i'd rate presso and shimano conquest 50s( shallow spool special) the best factory original casters but with an ZPI light shallow spool, they can handle 1.5grms easily. amoung the reels he's listing, the best will be sol. the others r good casters for lures around 5grms minimum.

Some tackle bling for all you rice boys out there. The fishing equivilent to a spoiler kit, rear wing, mags and boost gauges lol:lol:

/>http://www.bass.jp/reel.php?c=reelp

/>http://www.japantackle.com/Tuning_parts/Tuning_handles_Daiwa_spinning.htm

/>http://www.japantackle.com/Tuning_parts/Tuning_spools_daiwa_spinning.htm

Schultzy,

I have only owned the Echlon for about 5 months and it hasn't had that much use so it may be that I need a little practice, but I do like the look of the summit and I may be able to come up with the extra $$$.

pcsolutionman

Getting the money instead of the vouchers maybe an option, can the Sol be used in SW?

Cheers

Cheers all, well I made my mind up to go the the little extra and go for the Sol and then I come across an article about the Fuego which claims to be a little better having the Magforce-Z(Instead of V), heavier drag and holds more line, put still has the same casting and retrieving abilities. Has anyone used a Fuego?? I think I'll still go the Sol.

Cheers

Greg

Gazza wrote:

I got one of these coming from Bass pro

/>http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_91075_100001001_100000000_100001000_100-1-1

Hope the link works

anyways got it on special 146 Au delivered :woohoo:

Gaz

That reel looks sweet!

Cowfish13 wrote:

Kevin: How can you tell whether a reel can be used in salt water? Does it say on their website?

Look on Japantackle and it usually says if they are SW ok or just do a little googling and you can usually find out. A lot of JDM reels are FW only because they are mainly for the Bass market. It is mainly about the bearings which could be replaced in some reels to make them semi SW ok. Also if they are MG then SW is risky.

Well it arrived today 6 days after ordering it from the US

Browning Midas MI10sha low profile Baitcaster 7.1:1 10 ss ball bearing Man is it smooth Haven't tried it out yet getting Braid for it tomorrow :)

Try it out on friday some where

heres some pics

000_0116AFO.jpg

000_0117AFO.jpg

000_0118AFO.jpg

000_0119AFO.jpg

I'm impressed if you haven't guessed :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Gaz

• 3 weeks later...

Archived