25/04/2008 Wivenhoe adventure (Logan's Inlet)

werewolf

This is a long one, but there are pictures below if you can make it through:laugh:

We got to Logan’s around 7:30 and were greeted by very still water. We spent the first little while trolling around the first bay, without a touch. After a swap of captain we headed out further following the connection between the bays. We paddled and paddled and paddled! We trolled in the middle of bays, trolled against weed beds and trolled right up against this marvellous looking cliff face that we found. Romeo dropped a lead line down right in close, and it looks like it was about 4-5 metres about 1-2 metres out! When the dam is full, there could be another 4 or so metres of water straight up against the cliff face! Where is a hand held GPS when you want one? A cheeky little breeze was being a nuisance while in this bay, as every time we changed the troll direction, it would turn such that we paddled into it lol. You would think we would start paying attention lol. I changed back to captain and it wasn’t long before Romeo had a hit in the middle of a bay. After a short fight he pulled up a fat catfish. I know catfish aren’t popular, but it was his first fish on a lure so he was absolutely stoked with a grin ear to ear. We let the slimy bugger go (the fish, not Romeo) and trolled back to the newly dubbed “wolf cliffs†lol. We tied off against it and I threw a spinner around briefly without much luck as the wind was starting to make casting difficult. By this stage it was late morning and we decided we should probably start trolling back regardless. The wind seemed to sense our decision and it really started to blow up. Romeo had to start paddling too just to make headway against the wind! It was at this stage I realised we were in a bit of trouble, as we were a loooonng way from home, and that wind was absolutely cranking across the dam. I was suddenly very glad I put that second paddle in, and we were both wearing our PFDs. I headed our nose against the wind, and we paddled like madmen into the foot high chop. Mind you, Romeo still had a lure out, although I had stowed mine as I didn’t want to unsnag too many lures in that wind! The big old canoe sliced through the waves fine when head on, but damn it was scary side on! We made it across the first bay and the blessed shelter it offered tucked in against the bank. We then tracked in close to this bank for as long as possible before we again had to struggle through a section that was partially protected. It was at this stage that Romeo’s rod buckled over and screamed drag and bounced around. Holy crap that’s a fish. I pulled the rod out of the holder to pass to Romeo (the rod holders are in the captain’s end) but the weight disappeared. I stuck the rod back in the holder and we both paddled on. Looking at his rod tip, I wasn’t sure if the lure was swimming properly now, so while Romeo paddled on from the front, I started pulling his line in, and giving it little jerks along the way to try and clear the foul. Bam thump thump thump. Another fish! As much as it broke my heart, I passed the rod to Romeo and after a rather disappointing fight, a fat bass breaks the surface! Another first for him! I netted the fish and we powered into the shore for the official measuring and photos. The bass went 42 cm and Romeo decided to keep it for the table, so into the esky it goes. If I thought he was grinning after the forkie, you should have seen him now! After a breather while he cleaned the fish on the bank, it was back to the mad paddle for home. We considered trolling back to the hot spot as there was clearly a school there, but the wind wasn’t letting up, and it was still a fair paddle back and we decided to put the rods away. After crisscrossing through a few more bays we made it, and not after Romeo “rolled†out of the canoe as he was climbing out in one foot of water for one of our pitstops, and half filled the boat with water. The only casualties were an embarrassed Romeo and my beloved fishing camera. RIP. I pulled the batteries out quick smart and luckily I was able to extract the pics off the memory card later at home. It didn’t look like much water actually entered it, but the lens is fogged internally, so I think she isn’t going to make it…. So in the end we made it back safe, learnt a HUGE lesson about paying attention to the wind, and we both had more dead muscles than I thought possible lol. I looked at Weatherzone when I got home, and the westerly was gusting up to 30 knots! Sorry about the long report, but I hope you guys at least get a chuckle from our adventure! Piccies up next. I’ll post them all them come back and edit the captions. wwolf

Phew that's it! There is a caption for each picture now.

Thanks Malcom. As hairy as it was we were perfectly safe thanks to our PFDs. If disaster struck and we capsized in the middle of no where, it would be a swim and then a looonnng walk homeB) Then probably an unpleasant conversion with the old man when I tell him where the Titanic is resting:laugh: I must admit though, although we didn't catch much, we will be talking about this trip for a long time!

Archived