More from Wivenhoe on Labor Day

Schultzy

The unofficial AFO yak day at Wivenhoe was a great day out. Tony and I met Bommie, Wayne D, Steven M, Big Al and Paul (Username Taken) at the gate at about 06:00. Must have been Stu towing a tinny through the gate two cars ahead of us.

Got off to a slow start but the captures kept coming right through the morning. Great weather! Tony and I went north several kays and could see a red vessel (kayak) working the steep banks a few kays east of Logans. Saw Wayne land his first fish before we wandered further up the lake & saw Steve get a couple of nice bass. Tony and I got all of our fish on Boomerangs. Most on black beetle and deep purple, one on Kakadu tiger. Being in a loaner (Hobie Outfitter) we had no sounder or GPS but worked general areas that have produced fish before and did fairly well. Had to pack it in at midday just when the bite appeared to be revving up. Left Bommie and Big Al & crew to get stuck into them after we left. [img size=458]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/afo_Wayne_5_May_003.jpg

Wayne with his first bass of four. Mid forties.

post-108-144598456707_thumb.jpg

Gee'z that hurts Niel, I trolled boomerangs all morning in those colours for not even a sniff in an outfitter with a sounder, I just must of been in the wrong place or I just simply sux:blush: :ohmy: :cheer:

Heath

Heath,

Just replied to your post on 1st yak trip. In brief, we ran B65D Boomerangs instead of B65UD which were running too deep (today). We usually start the day with one of each out until we see which is working best. This time it was the deeps, next week it might be ultra-deeps.

Nice one Neil great clear shots as always we where in too much a rush to catch fish I said hello to someone at the register but did not no if they where from afo I need afo stickers on my little tinnie

STU wrote:

Nice one Neil great clear shots as always we where in too much a rush to catch fish I said hello to someone at the register but did not no if they where from afo I need afo stickers on my little tinnie

Stu it was probably Wayne at the gate, he was in front of us with a yellow Hobie on a little trailer.

We were in Tony's dark blue Captiva with a light blue Hobie on the roof.

We were right behind you until you passed Wayne going up Splityard hill.

Great day guys, good to catch up, the boomerangs where doing the damage. I like the way you and Tony were powering back in the hobie, I swear that the yak was just about up on plane with the amount of wash coming out the back:laugh:

Bommie wrote:

Great day guys, good to catch up, the boomerangs where doing the damage. I like the way you and Tony were powering back in the hobie, I swear that the yak was just about up on plane with the amount of wash coming out the back:laugh:

:laugh:

Like the hobies? :D

Bommie wrote:

Gotta love the Mirage Drive on the Hobies. I've fished from a Revo and Sport before but this was the first trip in a tandem. We were certainly scooting with two of us pedalling. That was with the standard fins too, I reckon with Turbo fins we could just about tow a tobogan:woohoo:

Schultzy wrote:

Paul,

Yes I think you were clearing the line from the rudder or something at the back of the yak. I love the way your esky is mounted.

Tony and I landed nine for the morning, all on Boomerangs.

haha shultzy thats my old yak I miss the big esky on the back its awesome

Lee

TerryH wrote:

Like the hobies?

Terry they are awesome.

Take a close look at the right hand side of this photo. See the shadow? That's the old man standing up on the nose of the Hobie - with a couple grands worth of camera gear hanging round his neck. :ohmy: [img size=416]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/afo_7281.jpg

post-1800-144598457203_thumb.jpg

Longtail Tony wrote:

Dad is just a little loopy :blink: I've seen him standing up flyfishing from a roly poly old fibreglass canoe.

Make that a lot loopy. Somewhere around here is a series of slides of me standing in the Scanoe playing and landing a Tinaroo barra on fly.

If I can track them down I'll try to scan them if anyone would like to have a look.

Schultzy wrote:

kriso wrote:
hell yeah any of bikini girls standing up in the yak! hahaha your crazy schultzy!

I'll see what I can do this weekend for you Kriso.

woohoo your the best mate!!! hey gus should get neils pics and make a afo calendar lol!

Archived