Long Weekend Expeditions

Stinger

Long week end report

On Saturday I had my first trip to Jumpin Pin for 24 years.

One of the blokes from work who has fished the area for the 20 years came along with Jake and me to show us a few Flattie spots.

Arrived at the ramp at 6 am with only a very light breeze and clear water.

Drifted across a few areas that the mate liked and although we saw some large flatties and had a few good strikes couldn’t land one.

The wind changed direction and started to gust up around the 15 knots mark.

Ended up catching 5 flatties 1 bream & 1 whiting all on soft platics.

Only 1 legal flattie in that lot.

Called it quits at about 2 pm.

Will be heading back there soon.

On Monday we gave the Brissy River a try.

Had 4 in the boat this time as my eldest son who doesn’t go much on fishing decided to come along for the ride.

Hit the water about 6 am and flicked soft plastics around the pipe line.

Had a couple of good hits but only managed to land 1 40cm Cod.

Decided to have our first go at catching a Thready.

Went and cast the net for a few livies to use for bait at the drop off and managed to get a dozen small poddy mullet.

Jake and I decided to stick with Jackal Transoms that I had got the day before and the other 2 used live bait.

With the wind blowing from the SW and the incoming tide slowing, the drift just worked out perfect with the boat track following the drop off.

After drifting for about 15 minutes both of the live baits went off at the same time. With the runs that they did I would have to call them both as threadies but unfortunately we never got to see them as one of the line snapped and the other dropped his.

Another 5 minutes and Jake pulled up a small catty that had gulped down the Jackal (greedy bugger).

10 minutes on and I felt a tap on the line, let him have a bit of slack and then felt the weight on the line. Lifted the rod and he was on.

Gave me a good run and I had to chase him with the electric.

About 10-15 minute fight and my first ever Thready comes to the surface.

There were plenty of yahoos from all of us.

Used the lip grips and grabbed his tail and had him on the deck.

A couple of quick photos and put him back in the water. Swam him for at least 15 minutes got a few kicks but every time we released him he simply went belly up so reluctantly we had to keep him.

We have agreed from now on we will release them with-out brining them in the boat as these fish are too good to catch once.

Jake and the mate of course will want to settle the score so I suppose we will be back for a sequel.

Jakes PIN Flattie [img size=495]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Jakes_Pin_Flatty.jpg

post-1250-144598456811_thumb.jpg

I drove around swimming mine with the electric then it finnally swam away but who knows could of went belly up later on but I did not see it

Stinger you went all the way to the mary river and got no threadie should of just stayed in the the brissy river mate :)

Yeh tried the old spear back in the water and thought he was good but he started floating about a minute later so then we tried swimming him.

I agree I don't think he had much fight left in him when we got him to the boat.

kriso wrote:

has anyone tried spearing these bigger ones into the water when releasing like they reckon you should release the big gt's and stuff

That's how I released mine the other day. It kicked hard and took off like a rocket. I don't think it was that tired really because half the fight it just had me wrapped around rocks etc so it could rest before running off again.

When we did the tagging on north pine, th eDPI bloke reckoned best way to handle fish with an extended fish bladder was to use a dropper weight.

Basically something like a snapper sinker attached to a short length of line and a barbless blunt hook. (And some fishing line so you can get you weight back).

Just hook it through the lip and drop it over the side, when it hits bottom, it can easily shake the barbless hook out and swim away.

Archived