What combo for bream and bass?

Hi folks,

Going to splash out some hard earned tomorrow for a new combo. Thinking of spending about $350.

At this satge I was looking at a Daiwa Tierra 1500 $200 and a Shimano raider finess bream $99 plus some extra for 4lb braid and a new lure or 2.

So what do you think, Is there a better combo I should look at or have people had any problems with the raider or tierra.

The combo will be used for plastics and hard bodies for bream and bass.

Cheers

hey mate. I had that EXACT combo. It was great, untill the raider broke... But the tierras still an awsome smooth little reel. I dunno how mine broke, must of got bumped while camping because i just wobbled it while walking and the end half snapped in half.. also the tip broke before that but it was kinda my fault :P. Good rod but breaks real easy... unless its just me.

I have a rack raider an it is ok but I find the guides annoyingly small and whatever knot I try if I use over 8lb leader the knot catches. They are pretty sensitive for a cheap rod though.

I recently got a Berkley Tactix 1-6lb rod off Troutlet for around $60 and it is far nicer to use than the raider but you need to clean it every time or it'll rust, also the action isn't fast enough for hard bodies.

I have a repaired Daiwa procaster X which is ok so the new range might be worth a look.

Also might be worth checking out the Starlo Stix range. I have heard mixed reviews on them but he usually produces good quality products.

As for the Tierra they seem alright, the Daiwa reels IMO feel nicer to crank but shimano reels have a more quality sounding drag. Whether one out performs the other I don't really know, but I find the drag on Daiwa Real 4 reals to sound Tinny and a bit cheap. Still love them anyway.

High modulus rods are real easy to break. But treat them well and they will look after you.

Join the dark side and buy a Curado! I am tossing up between a browning like Gazza's and the Curado. Depends on whether they can supply a spare spool with the browning.

Feral wrote:

High modulus rods are real easy to break. But treat them well and they will look after you.

Join the dark side and buy a Curado! I am tossing up between a browning like Gazza's and the Curado. Depends on whether they can supply a spare spool with the browning.

Are you joining Kev's ranks and planning to target bream on bait caster feral? Better get practicing it isn't easy throwing bream lures on BC.:laugh:

I've got the exact same set up as your thinking except i've got a 2500 sol and i love both of them. The sol which is practically like a tierra is so smooth and the raider seems really responsive. As for starlo sticks like dan mentioned I have a 2-5kg starlo stik and it is great for soft plastics but it's a bit stiff for throwing small lures like sx40s etc. So i've paired up with an epix and 10lb braid and its a better match.

sorry for my ramblings i think your future combo is a great choice hope you enjoy it:)

kriso wrote:

i wouldnt rule out a trion either there not a bad rod.

And for the price the matching reel is great value. I have a Pflueger Trion 30 Reel on a SicStik Pro 7ft 2-4kg rod that works very well for both bream and bass. Next time though I won't try and by a rod to do both jobs and get a 1-3kg for bream and a bit heavier for bass.

His price range is to $350 Kevin;) The Twin power may be a bit expensive, but the Stradic may be ok:)

My Raider (River Raider, 3-6kg baitcaster) has been through a lot. Walking through thick scrub, rock hopping and other stuff like that to get to good spots. The tip has also been stood on by someone walking past. It's still in perfect condition. Couldn't be happier with it:)

Feral wrote:

:P bream on BC's a real challenge. u need a good set up like conquest 50 shallow spool special with cardiff 2-6lb rod( around 900 imported) then ur casting must be near perfect to get a sx40 to strike zone

Thanks heaps to everyone for your input.

Think all I've done is confused myself:P

Thinking after reading through that I'll stick with the Tierra, I've had a few Daiwa reels and the have never let me down.

As for the rod I'll probably head down to jones tackle tomorrow and have a chat with them and see what the say. Was thinking of a raider as I've seen a few be put through their paces and always seem to hold up very well.

Will let you know tomorrow how I go.

Cheers

Poly

the raiders are good rods i have both the bream finesse and the rack raider, both have served me well esp the bream finesse which has caught the majority of my threaddies and the jewfish. ive banged them both around and they are still holding up. imo the starlo sticks feel a bit lacking compared to starlo's first range of rods (squidgy spin etc) dropshots are very good value for money as are the pfluger range

Archived