threadys

uglyfish

if u put a lot of time into threadfin fishing and couldn't get one, it's better to move forward and try some other fishing styles. in the 2 days fishing down south with dan, i had so much fun that i totally forget about threadfin for a while. fishing is just for fun so when fishing for bream and flattie can be more rewarding, why do u have to spend time targeting threadfin without success?

i'd always love to soack a live prawn anywhere from shultz canal to the newstead pontoon. no matter what hit the bait, just enjoy fighting it.

I've got a question regarding Threadin Salmon; when using herring as bait, what is the best way to rig them to better your chances of catching one? I'm pretty sure I've had them on my line, but they just haven't stuck. I've seen a couple of people putting two hooks through the sides of dead herrings, but couldn't remember how to do the technique.

Thanks.

robski wrote:

I've got a question regarding Threadin Salmon; when using herring as bait, what is the best way to rig them to better your chances of catching one? I'm pretty sure I've had them on my line, but they just haven't stuck. I've seen a couple of people putting two hooks through the sides of dead herrings, but couldn't remember how to do the technique.

Thanks.

a snell rig (two hooks linked together) is good for the bigger ones, otherwise, a single 4/0 - 6/0 through the head works a treat for salmon.

I usually put a single 4/0 hook through the shoulder as most of the herring I get are small. But even if I get a bigger herring or prwan, I only use one hook as the bait is able to move freely and attract more fish :) Besides that, threaddies swallow rather than bite so it doesn't really matter where the hook is placed. Hope this helps

if i'm fishing a fast current i put a single hook through the gristley

bit just infront of the eyes so they hang straight,it also makes them live longer than hooking them through the body

in slow current i put a single through the body just above the anal fin

this makes them swim upward and reduces loss to crabs

brisbane_boy wrote:

namyau wrote:
there was one landed last week (forgot who posted it) aaround the rowing shed at westend

i think that was brisfisher

yeh mate,that was me:P if your not having any luck towards the mouth,hit up the middle to upper reaches(west end/toowong area)it usually produces a few but in smaler sizes also try fishing on a low incoming tide,seems to fish better...anyawy thats my bit:P

actually uglyfish, when u say the reason why we all go fishing is that u enjoy the HUNT. threadie's not so much different from cattie. i enjoy catching big catfish in brisbane river and i target them with my top end gear when others prefer breaming.

i eat a lot of fish that i catch but i won't go target some fish solely because i wanna eat them. the hunt's always more important then the kill man

if u care to reread my thread i did say isnt the hunt before the kill why we fish??not only that i enjoy catching them on light gear..different strokes for different folks kev..i too enjoy getting big catties have a look at me pic,but id rather get a fish thats worth while eating rather than vermin...

Archived