Burley help!!

straddiebrad

In what situation mate? In an estuary, off a boat, off the rocks??? After a trip when using frozen bait, I keep bait that is still frozen at end of trip for next time. But any bait that has thawed out I get a bucket, put it in there and mush it all up with my hands, as well as adding any leftover stale bread in the house & some tuna oil, then freeze it again for burley. When landbased in an estuary I walk the direction of where the current is coming from and throw out a few lumps of burley, so the current will form the burley trail back up to where I'm fishing. Off the rocks I use the same, just try to throw it out to somewhere that it won't get washed away. As for how much to use, you need enough to get the fish interested, but not enough to fill them up, this is really dependent on what & where you are fishing. Another tip that I was told is not to use tuna oil if fishing for snapper.

Cheers,

Matt

i use tuna oil and the red stimulate burley stuff add some bread crumbs. consistancy wise i make it like a runny porridge/really soggy wheet bix texture and i use the red stimulate bottle as the dispenser as its like the tomato sauce bottles. just squeeze a lil out every so often. there are heaps of different ways to make it and tons of other stuff you could use in it as well. but im pretty sure the basic ingredient would have to be tuna oil

best burley is pillies from last trip, some bread and a few handfuls of sand. mix it all up in a bucket.

add a pinch of salt, some garlic and herbs and bake on high for 20 minutes... :silly:

nah, if you are landbased you can make golf ball sized blobs of it and lob them out, a slingshot can be handy if you get the consistency right (like stiff playdough). in the boat just a few "crumbs" at a time all the time is the go, until they are hard on the bite, then absolute minimum. the sand helps it sink. i've found tuna oil to be bloody messy and seemingly not entirely necessary. i'm sure it helps but pilly-juice soaked bread is pretty hard to beat in my books and has done the job again and again.

I've been told that if in a boat cut up a bunch of pilchards and drop a cube in. once it disappears from sight throw another one in and keep on repeating this until some good fish come along.

I've also seen some pro sharkers use a towel soaked in tuna oil tied of the back of the boat which gives a nice continous slick.

basically the rule is to not go overboard with your burley as the idea is to bring them into your vicinity but still be hungry enough to eat your bait.

Good Luck

Archived