canal shark on news

jeff f

yea its been a while since i saw one of those reports on here. honestly though it is exciting, i mean heaps of people from here watched it diddnt they? i wouldnt mind if this sort of stuff made the news more often really. its better than 'a koala was saved from a cat in a tree on thursday by firefighters.'

Shrimpo wrote:

No i dont target sharks but seriously that would happen atleast once a week probly a few times a week, Maybe not on a handline but a 2metre shark in a canal is not unusual.

so dont put the poor fella down then

when you catch one and catch multiple ones regulary then you can

I caught a bitey too last night

I could have been famous and been on the news, i can see it now,

+ Grumpy old fart lands monster 80cm whaler +

lucky to escape with life :silly: from potential future man eater

hehehe the little bugger had me thinking I had a season PB tailor on after some splashing surface action.

I noticed that they said his mother wouldn't let him keep it. I assume that means she made him let it go, given that she said they weren't going to eat it, so she couldn't see any reason to kill it. I don't suppose it meant that he wanted to keep it alive in the bathtub,:P but I was wondering. Are bull sharks protected?

montall wrote:

I noticed that they said his mother wouldn't let him keep it. I assume that means she made him let it go, given that she said they weren't going to eat it, so she couldn't see any reason to kill it. I don't suppose it meant that he wanted to keep it alive in the bathtub,:P but I was wondering. Are bull sharks protected?

no mate, not protected. not really wise to eat any large shark from around brisbane owing to biological magnification of metals etc in big predators (i.e. 10 prawns with 1 part mercury get eaten by a bream, bream has 10 parts mercury and so on up the chain). they are pretty good on the chew up to about 4ft long, flesh makes great bait on the reefs too.

Thanks benno, don't know that I could bring myself to chew on a bull shark anyway. Crab bait more like it.

they are pretty good on the chew up to about 4ft long,

I seem to remember something about that. A little jingle about not taking fish too big because of the mercury. "Shorter than your arm will do you no harm." Given that I've never caught one bigger than my arm anyway, it's never been a problem. :lol:

Archived