berkley vanish. your thoughts?

Troy_79

hey guys, i bought some berkley vanish 61b line for my fishing trip last weekend, I was pretty happy with it and caught alot of fish but i had a problem with it shredding:huh: which resulted in a few break offs. I dont think it was the structure as i never got snagged and my other mates who were just using the cheap mono line had no probs at all.

Is this normal for the line to shred? If so i dont think its worth buying. Has anyone used this line and if so have u had the same problem?

Cheers, troy

hey mate was it vanish casting Line or leader? The line comes in a large spool the leader is in a smaller square pack.

If it was vanish casting line than that stuff is ok but isn't given the hard waring coat that the leader material has.

I prefer yamatoyo leader these days anyway.

Edit: beat me to it Shrimpo

weird that its shreadding - maybe its a dodgy batch of line or the store you got it from didnt keep it in the right storage conditions. i use the normal vanish as leader sometimes and have never had a problem. i have a few different leaders i use sunline fc is good esp if you order from overseas

I am using 4lb vanish line as leader and have found that it 'shreds' as well. It is usually after tying and tensioning a knot that I notice it. Haven't got ANY fish yet (AT ALL) so can't comment on anything else it may or may not do.....

Same goes with Fireline, SPs, SX 40s and TT Switchblades.

My 2 cents anyway.

TerryH wrote:

BundyBoy - try lubricating the line when tying and tightening your knots.

Just before you tighten them (when its really loose,) give it a bit of saliva

It could be damage from heat caused by the friction when tightening the knots.

Terry, yeah thats what I thought it was too. It has never really been a problem for me, just something I noticed when I was rigging up.

Archived