username_taken's kitchen

username_taken

While I was out unsuccessfully trying to catch dinner today the steak fairy paid the house a visit and left a nice juicy steak in the fridge for me. Figured I'd do some experimentation and take photos. Here's the results :-

I didn't really measure any of the ingredients, so I'll skip the traditional recipe format and just describe what I did.

IMG_5718.jpg

* I like my steaks rare and still mooing.

Pepper your steak and put it in a ziplock bag with a splash of bourbon. turn the bag every minute or so to make sure it marinates evenly.

IMG_5700.jpg

Roughly chop half an onion and add it into a warm pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Letting the pan heat up with the onion in it slowly cook it until soft. Then add in some sugar and a splash of white wine vinegar and crank up the heat. The sugar helps the onion caramelize nicely. Decant the onions into a bowl.

IMG_5689.jpg

IMG_5691.jpg

Clean the pan with a paper towel and add in some diced bacon over a medium heat. After a minute of frying add in a couple of diced mushrooms. Turn up the heat and cook until the mushrooms are completely sweated out. Add a splash of white wine and reduce down. Add half the put-aside onion and a generous amount of stock and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes.

IMG_5698.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

While it's simmering make a basic roux by cooking 2 Tb of flour and 2 Tb of olive oil. Keep stirring to make sure it doesn't burn and bring off the heat when it starts to change colour.

IMG_5705.jpg

IMG_5709.jpg

Grab the pot of gravy-in-the-making and strain out the solids and discard ( or keep for ravioli filling ). Leave gravy over a low heat to keep hot ( but not boiling ).

take the steak out of the marinade and pour marinade into gravy. Salt the steak on both sides. Bring a pan up to a high heat and add a splash of olive oil. Lay the steak in the oil, the pan should be really hot so you should hear a really strong sizzle.

IMG_5710.jpg

Cook for 2 minutes on that side and then turn it. That side should be nicely browned and will be your presentation side. Give it about 30 seconds and then pour in the gravy. Don't be afraid to top up the stock if it gets low.

IMG_5711.jpg

IMG_5713.jpg

Turn down the heat and cook until steak reaches desired doneness. Wrap steak in foil and put aside to rest. Bring the gravy to a gentle simmer ( if it's not already ). Add in the rest of the onions and stir through just enough roux to thicken up and give it a nice gloss.

Use a pair of tongs and grab the onion from the gravy, make a bed for the steak with the onion. Put the steak on your plate, pouring any juices from resting back into the gravy. Drizzle gravy over the steak and serve.

IMG_5715.jpg

IMG_5717.jpg

bootyinblue wrote:

Obviously taking that many photos has made you overcook the steak.

I love a steak to come out on the plate and its already made a start on the salad before I get to it.

Looking the goods though, and oil and flour for a roux is a little different.

yeah, I think traditionally you're supposed to use butter and flour, but I like to pretend it's healthy by using olive oil instead of butter.

Angus wrote:

Man thats a bit well done for my liking :P

Na man thats awesome. I nearly cry when you go to someones house and they burn a quality cut.

Angus

mate I'll happily well cook a good steak. They taste a lot better and texture is a lot better than a cheap piece of stringy rubbish. No pink stuff thanks :X

I'm with Benno.. not sure whats going on with bourbon on the steak, suppose to be for your drink ;)

But well done paul, now I feel like some steak :)

Fishyman: Hopefully later tonight/tomoz.

Well after reading your post and dribbling all day I felt inspired to try and achieve a master piece like yours even if mine would only be a pale reflection.

So I went home last night and marinated some rib fillets.

After reading that you used brandy I thought I would modify my standard marinade and came up with this.

Whole grain mustard

Dash of olive oil

Black sauce

Ground Pepper

"BRANDY"

The stakes were tender as and the brandy really added to the taste.

I will be doing this again

Thanks for the post that inspired this addition to my culinary skills. ;)

Archived