SP's at night?

bootyinblue

Here is a bit of a question for those in the know. When I was flicking plastics around last night off Peel Island I was getting masses of interest till it got dark and then nothing at all.

Questions to debate are can fish see in the dark? Do they need to see the lure to eat it? Would scented lures work better than non scented?

Just chucking it out there for discussion.

Sp's work very well at night. I hooked a beast flathead one night down at the tweed, estimated around 80cm but i cant be sure. Couldnt stop it on 3lb fluro straight lol. Trevs, jacks, all the species that come to life at night, sp's are dynimite. Ive had trouble catching bream at night on sp's though.. and it makes casting into tight structure hard.

It should not matter if they can see. A plastic represents a live prey. Fish hunt live prey at night, by site, sound, meovement? I dont know how but they sure do!!

I think the movement is the most important thing. Maybe it was tide and not light related?

Angus

dark night dark plastics ( Blacks, Dark Greens )

if there is plenty of moonlight, again dark but with a red sparkle ( Zoom Super Flukes in Water Melon Red Pearl, Bass Assassins in Drunk Monkey or Camo Gulps) if targering Snaps around Peel

and I find a slower action with longer hops ( really lift the rod )

I am keep to try some Horny Toads at night to get some good vibrations ( leave it alone )

Yea thats what I was thinking Angus, that they hunt at night using their lateral lines(?) to detect vibrations in water.

Maybe it is to do with me not being able to see the water, line, rod tip, boat, deckie or anything else as I had no stern light to see by.

I am used to fishing daytime in 3 to 4 metre water where not only the fish but sometimes you can see the plastic too!

When fishing off Peel once, we had the best Snapper bite ever on bait and we were actually saying to ourselves that we won't take anymore (had never happened previously, but could have jinxed us:D). Then, as soon as the sun went down, the bites stopped and the place went sterile. This was on bait as well, so maybe it was just a behavioral thing?

Have to agree with you booty we've fished peel many many times and every afternoon the fish are biting their heads off but about 30min afetr the sun sets they disappear in the space of a few minutes. My theory is that they head up into the shallows under the protection of the night.

WOOT!! :woohoo: 1000 posts

Goran wrote:

Bought a pack of 3" nuclear chickens the other day and on the pack in stated "glow" and it was right suppose its designed for a night SP

the 2inch nuclear chicken shrimp was the first lure i used and landed me a nice 30-40cm (cant remember size cos it was abouut 1 1/2yrs ago)cod at the lota boat ramp - was at night time too

Archived