I need advice, I am new to boats.

liventhedream

Hi there. I bought my new boat recently with very little knowlage of boats and how they perform. Since then I have gone and got my boat licence and have been learning ever since.

My question is this. Do all boats lean to 1 side? Do they lean all the time or just when in the captains chair? My boat has a terrible lean that seems to me quit dangerous and it doesn't turn right very safely.

I have had numorous talks with the sales rep to no avail. When I put it in for its first servcie, to the tune of $200, I asked them to investigate the issue.

They came back and told me it is normal. no point moving weight around as it would be a pointless excersise, noweight to move in an ally boat.

Any info please.

post-2988-144598472957_thumb.jpg

hey m8, im sure sum1 on this site can give u the heads up.

ive got a 5m tinny myself, and even with 1 person it doesn't (that ive noticed ) lean that severly!the only questions that come to mind are- where are ur fuel tanks? front or back, obciously center is best... and is ur engine mounted to dead center?

i hope sum1 points u in the right direction m8

-Wiseguy

how many batteries do you have and are they mounted in the middle:huh: or to one side:ohmy: when i got my new 4.8fisher my batteries were on one side and the boat had a slight lean to that side and would never come up on the trailer straight so i had to move the batteries to the centre of the boat:cheer:

definately not right, and the idiot that told you otherwise should be sacked, as if you don't feel confident in your purchase you will only get into trouble one day!!!:angry: especially if the [sALESMAN] knows you have limited experience,

does the boat also lean when underway, with the motor trimmed out.some boats will lean when underway when the motor is trimmed all the way in, there is a product called trim tabs, but you deffinately don't need then on a boat of this size, i'm guessing 4.80 meters thereabouts. take it back and tell them you want the battery moved to the other side for a start, but do not pay for this as it is NOT YOUR FAULT THE BOAT WAS SET UP TO BE A PIG, but to be honest it could be a number of things, thats where you PAY for the boat to be fitted out by so called EXPERTS, if one day you want to go for a spin, i'd be happy to try and help ya out mate;)

Not trying to be a smarty but you don't have water in one side of your pod do you? If that is the way the boat was sold too you they seller shouldn't be in biz, very ordinary.

If not like the others said try and pull as much weight into the middle as possible then use that 20lt of water wide to try and balance things a little more.

The big problem with that is as you get a little airborne on sloppy chop it will want to lay on that side and hit very flat which gets a tad concussive. Not much fun for you or the boat long term.

Thanks for the replys. I will try to answer all.

1. Yes when I get in and drive it realy leans over. I first started to notice when I went fishing my self 1day, out of Maloolaba, big waves boat just wants to lay over as you are underway. I am worried it will dig in oneday and through me out.

2. 1 battery in drives side at the back(counteracted by a 20kg drum of water in the opposite side), with 60lt fuel tank under floor, I asume it is in centre,(I did ask this 1), maby I need to pull the floor and make sure myself.

I had her out today, 4.6 allycraft bayraider, around Scarbourough reef. Very lumpy, very unconfortable. I ended up getting the shits, as when you get up on the plain it does level a little, so I got right up it. Bad move I ended launching of 1 wave, felt like I was doin a mono on a motor bike, very scary.

3. The boat has never had water come out of the bungs when I let them out, so I would say that the pod is dry down the back. [img size=308]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/boat_lean2.JPG

post-2988-144598472992_thumb.jpg

big al wrote:

i would be moving the battery to the middle of the boat if it will fit there should help :cheer: al

Middle of boat is no good. As you will always have a driver its better on the port side. to counteract the driver. This may also be a stupid question but has the motor been mounted perfectly centrally and vertical.

Archived