Gavin Dunn to speak on threadfin on 4bc 12/10

rayke1938

flatty_catcher wrote:

no great reason Its just I don't see threadfin as a fish that is hard to catch with bait.

Dan

Hey there Flatty_Catcher,

I think that you're being a little bit harsh on those who don't have the same information on these fish.

I personally struggled to figure out how to catch these for a long while, but once I got it figured it out, I would tend to agree that they are not entirely difficult to catch (ONLY IF YOU KNOW ALL THE DETAILS).

The critical elements are knowing when to go chase them (moonphase), where their movements (please feel free to disclose your GPS marks), which part of the tidal cycle to get them, and of course, what type of live bait/lure you're using and how it is rigged up.

If you gave all your tips to everyone, I'm sure they'd share the same opinion as yourself. Please feel free to share with everyone your extensive knowledge on catching this species.

How I stumbled on this information was - I was flicking for bream and along came Gavin Dunne in his fantastic fibreglass tournament boat. He was out on the water fishing for threadies. I had seen him numerous times and I just observed where he went. I took note of the tide times, moon phase, depth and looked for any significant changes in depth. He goes to the same spots nearly everytime and will only give each spot a quick go with his lures. A pattern eventually emerged.

That's how I figured out how to catch these wonderful threadies.

Cheers,

Shaun.

ellicat wrote:

Dan

Inbuilt

Catching

Know-how

Has to be

Every

Anglers

Dream.

You must be blessed. Maybe your own radio appearance wont be far away for you :whistle:

lol the big time name caller, I wonder if he will edit this thread as well after he thinks better of it.....LOL

pm sent as I am wondering why I am a dickhead for expressing an opinion?????

I will stick to my guns and stand by what I said.

Dan

Just a quick feed back to those who ask Who`s Gavin Dunne".

He writes a monthly article in Qld Fishing Monthly.

His articles cover the Brisbane River,mainly the lower reaches.

He covers the 3 most asked questions..what`s around,where are they..how to catch them.He`s a fairly knowledgable chap,and is willing to share his knowledge if asked,as I have emailed him a few queries on his articles,and have had clear and honest replies back.He has been highlighting the Brisbane for qiute some time. Something the AFO site was set up to do...wasn` it??

Like the wise monkey said.."only a FOOL know`s it all'', listen and learn, watch and see,hind sight is a wonderfull educator.

flatty_catcher wrote:

They should make it illegal to target them with bait..

lure and plastic only

They are dead easy to catch, it got me suprised why anyone would get on radio with tips, other than trying to bignote themselves

Dan

wow! thats a bit full on, if there that easy then why are there a massive number of members on here that still havent bagged one, lures and bait its no diffrence getting these things is learning about the habitat when there most active and so on etc, also not everyone has the money to go buy a rod suitable for flicking lures for these things and can afford to loose $10-25 everytime they hit a snag, this whole lure users vs. bait users that has come about on the site shits me massively fishing is fishing wether bait or lures is used i dont care if ya caught on gulp or a guppie.

shortie wrote:

ellicat wrote:
Dan

Inbuilt

Catching

Know-how

Has to be

Every

Anglers

Dream.

You must be blessed. Maybe your own radio appearance wont be far away for you :whistle:

Ellicat your comments are

Terrifically

Reliably

Unequivically

Educational

Shortie

you and Ellicat are the biggest backstabbers on here.

not to mention your chat room whinig like an old queer..

not to mention the ongoing running down of other members.

who would listen to you anyway???

Cheers

flatty_catcher wrote:

They should make it illegal to target them with bait..

lure and plastic onlyDan

You will be happy to know that I am subscribing to your theory Dan. Every bit of bait I send down I give a little talking to about the difference between threaddies and other types of fish. I am yet to bag a threaddie to date!

Should we be saying next that you cant target flathead on pumkinseed coloured grubs as they are dead easy to catch on them?

I have never heard such an irrational idea when it comes to fishing, but its your right to express it.

hmmm... threadfin are dead easy to catch hey? funny.. i've never landed a big one on bait...

mate if you are entitled to express your opinion on how to regulate thready catches ellicat and shortie are allowed to express their opinions back. you may not agree with them, as they (and i) obviously don't agree with you. and for someone who has only made two posts to say that ellicat and shortie are the biggest backstabbers on here... do you even know them? who are you really... surely a person of 2 posts experience wouldn't be saying that.

to say a fish may only be caught on lures and it is illegal to target them with bait is just plain ludicrus. to make this work you would have to ban all bait fishing in the river coz if my live mullet intended to catch a jew was taken by a passing thready (seeing as though they are so easy to catch) i would then potentially be in strife if the fish couldn't be released for some reason. and besides, treble hooks surely do more damage to a fish than a single hook? and if they are so easy to catch on a lure wouldn't that defeat the prupose anyway?

work_fisher wrote:

Cheers

Mmmmm let me assess this for a minute?

Ellicat - 4262 posts

Shortie - 1977 posts

Work Fisher - 2 posts

Sorry mate, but you have come in third place. If you want to have a go at someone on here in particular then fire them off a PM or email them (keeping in mind the harrassment policy on here)

I dont want to read dribble but want to learn more on how I can keep threaddies away from my bait!

Just got the following email from 4bc.

Hi Ray,

Dave ran out of time this past weekend and Gavin will be on next Sunday.

Cheers!

- Danielle

Unfortunately I will be at ESK so will not be able to listen.

In response to other various posts I put this up in the spirit of the AFO ethic which I understand is to help all other fishers and to promote the Brisbane River.

I have heard Gavin speak on several occasions and he is always very helpful and happy to assist others.Most of what he will say probably has already been in QFM already.

To those who only seem happy when bagging others and are not prepared to help others particularly newbies I would suggest to think back and remember that you were also a newbie once.

Maybe you would be better off joining one of the other ratbag sites and leaving AFO to those who enjoy fishing and sharing.

Cheers

Ray

work_fisher wrote:

Shortie

you and Ellicat are the biggest backstabbers on here.

not to mention your chat room whinig like an old queer..

not to mention the ongoing running down of other members.

Cheers

No backstabbing from me. I prefer to do it front on, without hiding behind an anonymous pseudonym like yourself. Step out young man and tell us who you are (if you are indeed a man).

And while I'm in a rant mood let me say some of you young fellas need to realise that the men on here work (except the odd retiree). They don't get a third of the year off to spend the time sussing things out as you do. Some have kids of their own and wives and responsibilities to others to cater to. So dissing us for not always using lures if we want a bit of a relax away from all that just doesn't sit well. You need to have a little depth of thought before you make outlandish statements etc.

As for the blacking out pictures rubbish goes - you seem to think we want to steal your spots:blink: You need to take a rest from your self importance. Did it occur to you that if we recognised the place then we probably already know it? I've had a gutful of your sniggering little taunts and foul-mouthed pm's. Grow up or piss off!

(EDIT -added "some of" before "you young fellas" because I reckon most of you are good decent blokes)

yeah, i have noticed a definate different mood on the forum when school holidays are on..

not having a go at all school kids on the site at all, there are many amongst you who play the game very well and can respect other people both young and old. this includes many of the new guys and some of the more established members - i'm loving the random reports from the awesome foursome (when i can decipher the spelling and grammar!)

however, there are others in the group who are more than willing to openly bag out others because they don't fish the way you like or keep fish to eat or black out photos whatever, something you don't agree with. guys, fishing is a different thing to different people. for me, it is a chance to relax and get away from it for a while. if i catch stuff it's a bonus. catching big fish does not denote how big a man you are, people will judge you a lot more on how you treat others. it might not seem important now but trust me when you start looking for a job, no-one likes a smart-arse know-it-all. i was there at 15 and got snapped out of it pretty quick.

i have no problem whatsoever with people fishing with lures, bait, nets, spears, powerheads, guns, bent pins, whatever, providing it is within the rules and regs. what you do have to realise is that everyone is different and as long as they play by the rules it is ok. you might not agree with someone about something, feel free to express that belief in a democratic and non-inflamitory manner, no-one minds you expressing yourself, just show a little respect for others guys!

my two cents worth.

work_fisher is me. its a nik I use to browse only when I feel like having a look at lunchtime at work, I do not usually post with it but after seeing the posts I was angered and did post.

I am 39 years old bloke, ok, no kid ;) and you may well search my posts for I have never refered to anyone as a 'dickhead' or 'jackal' or whatever names, except for shorty and ellicat that I refered to and I apologise for that.

looks like my post caused a stir, funny how a few beers and a few loose words can end it all.

But in truth I guess when I came here I caught a shit load of thready.

Dont know how to catch thready?????

Try and part of the river between westend and kooka on a run out tide with live prawn or herring.

want as big one go deeper holes.

would prefer it if the drama ended, I admit at being outspoken and ill informed so I hope we can let it be ..before I get banned or some shit, I enjoy the forum, and thats my bit.

Dan

Hey guys. Threaddies are still considered a new species in the brissie river and only some have sussed them out. I've only caught 3 of them in the last one year and this is with trying probably every 2 weeks or so. I only use bait as I'm a lazy fisho but have to say, bait or lures, they're not as simple until you've spent some time experimenting. Everybody has their own opinions but I guess to keep everyone as happy as possible, we should just ignore the posts that we dun agree with. Happy fishing guys! Oh i'm happy to share my limited knowledge on the threaddies I've caught as well :)

Archived