Crab Pot Storage

Drop Bear

Does anyone have a great system to store collapsible crab pots?

I find them very large and heavy, take up way too much room and I don't have a good way to hang them.

I was planning op build a simple platform that I could hoist up into the ceiling on a pulley but realize that I would need at least 3 ropes so it got high enough and didn't topple.

Thanks

21 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Wall mounted hooks work Rob if you have a spot on a wall for them. Bunnings have a few different options.

In the boat I use occie straps to store them vertically against the inside of the boat so they don't take up floor space.

Nice tips there. If you make it to the xmas party I hopefully will have them sorted by then and you can critique the job haha. 

19 hours ago, Gad said:

I just store mine in the boat (always washed down and let dry after use) compared to when I started crabbing in the 1960s with solid/bulky steel framed, chicken wire meshed ones, I find the collapsible ones really don`t take up that much room

Yep I used to do this but as I take a stack of family and friends fishing and I don't always crab or know how many to take each time I find this tricky. 

I agree they are sooo much easier than the chicken wire ones. They were a bugger to store and carry. 

On 11/26/2017 at 3:37 PM, JohnTheFisherman said:

I think the best way to store crab pots is to leave them in the water, check them every couple of days and eat crab 3 times a week :)

hmmmm there is something in this. I regularly dodge the pots put out the front of wynnum creek. good call. Sandies wont hurt the pots as much as muddies either. 

Like Kelvin said Robbie, I went the J and L style hooks you get from Bunnings. Cheap and easy to fix, they work well for me. The only trouble is the pots that have fixed tubes can be a bit of a pain.

I like @Luvits style, the only trouble is my shed I built oversized to fit my boat. The frames are over 3m up, and being vertically challenged, I'd need a ladder everytime I needed to get them down. Say Wayne, where did you get those pots? Dad used to have a few of those pull-up collapsible pots, but the place he got them no longer stocks them. I remember them being so simple and easy, would mind getting a few myself. I'm getting over fixing tubes while out on the water.

7 hours ago, Tybo said:

The only trouble is the pots that have fixed tubes can be a bit of a pain.

I've got a few like this and got an idea from some new ones I bought a while back - they came with very light string securing the other ends to the pot/netting. So I did the same using VB cord. If I remember I'll take a photo and put it up - easier than explaining it :) 

Edited by kmcrosby78

I got my pots from Crab'n Gear in Clontarf. They are called 'PUP's' Pop Up Pots

I had the standard pots first and found them a pain for moving from one spot to another, literately filling the whole boat if they weren't collapsed.  With the PUP's you can push them down flat with the bait in them and stack in spot on the floor. Move up or down stream and find the crabs. The easier anything is to user the more you will use them and thus more crabs to eat. They were not cheap so i am always with them when crabbing. Back when i bought them around $65 each however after 4 years of use they are still fine and never lost one.

6 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

Hi Luvit, Just  been looking at the Crabngear pots and see I can get

them ex Townsville. What sizes do you find the best to handle.

Been using couple of Hayes pots, they're good but have delivery

problem ex Brisbane, nobody stocks them up here.

Cheers

Gary

900mm with the 10mm rings but up Nth you may need the 12mm  for the tides. Ask the retailer who will be able to give you the best feed back form what the locals recommend and buy.

• 3 years later...

Hey I'm going on a fishing  trip soon and am wondering if anyone has any hacks to transport crab pots as I Don't have a ute and the storage on the roof rack is already taken (I cannot store in my car as my family believe They would smell )just wondering if anyone has any tips or ways I could store them on the outside of my 4x4 anything is appreciated 

Edit: have found a solution you can pull the net off the steel rims just mark the net where the rim used to go so you can put it back in this just makes it easier to put the steel rims under bags or in the car and the nets in a bag  honestly if you can don't do this it's just we have  extremely little space and this is an extreme space saver 

1 hour ago, cphillips said:

Hey I'm going on a fishing  trip soon and am wondering if anyone has any hacks to transport crab pots as I not have a ute and the storage on the roof rack is already taken (I cannot store in my car as my family believe They would smell in the car just wondering if anyone has any tips or ways I could store them on the outside of my 4x4 anything is appreciated 

Hey cphillips

If you can't chuck them on the roof, you're not towing them in anything, I don't see how it would work by putting them anywhere outside the four wheel drive. The only way I could think off which I probably wouldn't recommend is to strap it to the back or something like that (which would be dodgy at least and accident causing likely) so probably don't do that.

If you give the pots a hose out, get any muck out of them, and wrap them up in a towel/tarp they shouldn't stink. I've had them in my car before all fine.

Cheers Hamish

2 hours ago, cphillips said:

Hey I'm going on a fishing  trip soon and am wondering if anyone has any hacks to transport crab pots as I not have a ute and the storage on the roof rack is already taken (I cannot store in my car as my family believe They would smell in the car just wondering if anyone has any tips or ways I could store them on the outside of my 4x4 anything is appreciated 

Hi @cphillips. Most crab pots are collapsible these days so take up hardly any room. I would have thought the roof racks would be an ideal storage solution, if you are concerned about the smell. Having said all that, toughen up! A bit of crab and fish aroma is all part of the fishing experience.

21 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey cphillips

If you can't chuck them on the roof, you're not towing them in anything, I don't see how it would work by putting them anywhere outside the four wheel drive. The only way I could think off which I probably wouldn't recommend is to strap it to the back or something like that (which would be dodgy at least and accident causing likely) so probably don't do that.

If you give the pots a hose out, get any muck out of them, and wrap them up in a towel/tarp they shouldn't stink. I've had them in my car before all fine.

Cheers Hamish

You have a car? How old are you again?

1 minute ago, GregOug said:

Hi @cphillips. Most crab pots are collapsible these days so take up hardly any room. I would have thought the roof racks would be an ideal storage solution, if you are concerned about the smell. Having said all that, toughen up! A bit of crab and fish aroma is all part of the fishing experience.

Thanks it's not me worried about the smell it's my family Thank you for your response 

4 minutes ago, GregOug said:

Thanks this can help