Tilapia Bash

Angus

yeah mate I'd be up for that. A Saturday would be my prefered day, unless its the public holiday in June?

I've heard about Forest Lake being full of Tilapia. Isn't it illegal to fish in there though?

I have caught them in Wivenhoe, but it has been a looong time since. I've heard there in a creek out thereabouts too. Splityard or something? Notsure

attached is a 35.5cm Tilipia I caught at Wivenhoe [img size=495]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/35.JPG

Post edited by: werewolf, at: 2006/05/05 09:13

post-125-144598399213_thumb.jpg

Yeah some people thought you could not fish Forest Lake as the Delphin security gaurds used to tell people to rack off.

However firstly they did not have authority to do so and secondly asll the parkland in that area has now been ceded to the Brisbane City Council as the development is over.

I have also caught a couple in the Brisbane river below wyvanhoe. Big Bastards.... and tasty!

• 2 weeks later...

oI

Troy, I have caught a 45 cm Tilipia from the wyvanhoe dam. It fought like a 80cm bream. I reckon we shoulf go up there and target them. The worst thing that would hapen id that we would pick up a couple of bas!!!!!!!

Angus

oI

Troy, I have caught a 45 cm Tilipia from the wyvanhoe dam. It fought like a 80cm bream. I reckon we shoulf go up there and target them. The worst thing that would hapen id that we would pick up a couple of bas!!!!!!!

Angus

Troy, as the fish was long dead (about to be disposed of properly of course;) it was somewhat darker then a live fish. Also what can't be seen in the crappy photo I took is the true size of the dorsal. Some of them have a very large and fancy looking dorsal fin, hence their past popularity in aquariums.

Big Dave, the catfish go well and truely off the chew during winter. Where you would normally get 50, you are flat out to land 1! For this reason all the bass fisherman avoid Big W over summer. In the past when I fished for Eel-tailed Catfish in the dam with worms we would get the odd Tilapia. However in more recent years we have fished it soley for big Blue Catfish (way more fun:) using fillets of mullet & hence no tilapia. I have heard in the past that Tilipa have been caught with floating baits near the Logan's inlet boat ramp, but can't say I've done it myself. The Tiliapa I caught were from around the Information Centre area, which has reopened in recent times after the spillway upgrade. I haven't been in there for years. I could be a place to try with maybe worms for Tilapia. There would be the possiblity of Eel-tailed bycatch, which would be a bonus (good eating). I haven't seen on for a long time though. I reckon the Blue's ate them all out... Someone also mentioned (either this site or Ausfish) that Tilipia get caught near the rowing course or something (apparently locked).

Mat catties take hard body lures in big w.

So i really cant imagine they would not take SP's.

Or do you mean tiliapia?

If you mean tiliapia, they take Sp's and Hardbodies in Forest lake.

So yeah dont see why not in big w.

Angus.

oh yeah catfish are very much seasonally dependent. For example my shark trip at Kookaburra recently, we had a few baits on the bottom, which would normally be engulfed by the catfish during summer (if they can beat the crabs!). For this reason over summer are shark baits are mainly \"semi-floaters\", suspended 10ft off the bottom.

Also check out Neil Shultz's reports archive on Fishnet. He has many comments about no need to go bassing over summer, wait untill winter... etc

Tilipa on lures? Never seen it done, but sounds like Angus has nailed a few. Supposedly catfish love lures (yet again, never got one on a lure...) and DOZENS can be caught in a session trolling in Wivenhoe over summer, and up to 4kg or so.

• 1 year later...

Angus wrote:

Hi all.

I want to do a tilapia cull soon.

Either, Tingalpa creek. Upper Brissy or Forest Lake.

Any takers or suggestions on more locations????????

Angus Gorrie.

This is the oldest thread i could find. Interesting Forest Lake. Are there tilapia in there. Is it possible to organise a fish here. There are no fishing signs everywhere.

Richard.

Archived