Reccomended Lures

Cowfish13

I really want to catch some more fish on lures but I don't really have to many good SP's.

Are there any good lures that anyone can reccomend that can catch smallish Snapper, Flathead and other small to mediam sized reef fish (such as sweetlip).

I was looking at lures in the Gulp range so I could catch more but it doesn't really matter what type.

I'm not to good at spotting lures that will work so could you please tell me type, size and colour.

Thanks, Will

4inch Pumpkinseed Gulp! Minnows are always catching Snapper so I'd say get those and both Flathead and Sweetlip are caught on them often as well. Reports are usually from around Mud Island with both Snapper and Sweetlip being caught on that lure. Also Flathead will eat just about anything so 4inch Gulp! Minnows are perfect. People use about 1/4th oz - 1/8th oz weight jigheads with a 3/0 sized hook for Snapper, Flatties and the like so your all covered with 1 packet of jigheads and 1 packet of plastics. The Gulp! lures will cost $10 per packet and Berkley Nitro jigheads ar $9 and now come with Owner hooks and are cheaper then TT jigheads which have Gamakatsu. Plus you get an extra jighead.

Troy

Those gulps are the slimiest stinkiest thing since chook guts! And a lot dearer as well!

Mate just get advice as you go, get a packet or two of plastics each time you try a new spot, preferably getting advice from the local tackle shop. You will be suprised how quickly you will build up an arsenal, and a good idea of what conditions suites each type.

IE you'll have a few left over gulps from the next trip if you follow Troy's advice, and hopefull an idea of what conditions they caught fish in! (or dont catch fish in! if you have no luck)

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/12/10 19:02

I found flatties eat most plastics, most sizes eat most sizes. confusing but what it means is 30cm flattie with eat a 75mm squidgey fish, and a 60cm flattie will eat a 2\" powerminnow. Deffently what Feral said, get a packet or two everytime you go and its easy!

Tim

Archived