Having to log in all the time??

Dusky

It might be just me...or It might be that I'm from NSW!!

But it is starting to give me the Sh@#$ !!!

Everytime I close my browser or even if I am logged in and don't refresh the site for a while I get logged out and have to re enter my user name and password all the time!!

I have checked the box that says remember me and added the site to my favourites.

But I still have to log in with user name and password, it's getting a bit tiresome!!

Any ideas as to what to do??

Cheers.

To provide more assistance and try and work out the issues being experienced and possible solutions, we will need detailed information of the issue. Please see the format for reporting bugs in another post. ie what browser, when it occurs, the more detailed the info and the more we understand, the more we can help

I use IE7 mainly, but it happens no matter what browser I use.

Happens after been inactive for a period of more than an hour, also whenever i close my browser.

All browsers are set to remember passwords.

Dosen't happen with any other site??

Hope this helps.

Maybe I should register again under a different name??

hello! i'm using firefox 3.0.7 and get the same thing. i have the forum section as my bookmark and when i open that it says to login, but if i then click latest posts it shows me as actually logged in. its become habit now just to do that anyways, so am just letting u know! its no big hassle and the sites looking and working great otherwise

i have a similar problem

using google chrome and if i go from a bookmark or try and go to a link without going to one of the main pages first it asked me to login before i can visit the page but then when i click on the main forums it logs me in

Ok a few quick answers, your login will only ever last as long as the session allows. Sessions are only open for 30 mins on our site, after this time of inactivity you will be logged out.

However, the issue of having to login again sometimes that most of you are describing is a small bug/quirk which has been noted and will look to fix down soon (cant give a definite timeframe though)

prof113 wrote:

well signed up again under a different name and the same thing still happens??

Are there any settings I should be changing in IE7??

Getting pissed!!

Registering under two names is not allowed (refer to our site Terms). This has nothing to do with your account and so registering another account will change nothing.

This account will be removed.

Well I think it may be a problem with IE7...because now I stay logged in all the time on Firefox and opera but not with IE7..have to re enter my user name and password all the time. I've checked all security settings and enabled the auto complete, so what am I missing??

Anyone got any clues.??

i use firefox for every site 1 which i use firefox with IE tab. and i never have any problems . if i'm not working or fishing i will be online 16 hrs a day on sites, surfing, watching, tv or movies etc. and i never have any problems i use firefox on the xp desktops and the vista laptops no problems.if u go to tafe and do a cert 2 ,3 ,4 and diploma in ITC,almost every teacher ,instructor, tutor, will recommend firefox. most people in IT use firefox ,there has to be a reason ;)

Dusky wrote:

Only problem with FF is it dosen't show my site correctly!! even though I have the latest version and all the add on's!!

Have you tried with other browsers, like opera, safarai, konquerer etc?

I wouldn't use IE (particularly IE 7 or earlier) as a correct guide on rendering/viewing your site.

FireFox 3 successfully passes the Acid 2 test (as does IE8), however browsers earlier than that failed them, meaning they did not fully comply with the webstandards (saying this - Acid2 does not test all webstandards, but is a decent guide)

making it correctly render under IE7 only, COULD cause future problems for your site with regards to viewability as it could indicate that something is not conforming with the webstandards. Whats the problem with that? going forward, all the newer browsers may not (or may) be able to render your site correctly.

Just one thought :)

Although there is a new acid test - Acid3

/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid3

So if you want to just use one browser in checking your viewability of your site, I would recommend Opera, or Google Chrome.

Edit: But at the end of the day, it's your site :)

Dusky wrote:

Only problem with FF is it dosen't show my site correctly!! even though I have the latest version and all the add on's!!

Well your site (without looking at it) probably does not follow web standards too well as firefox is the leading browser to introduce and adopt web standards put forward by the W3C (organisation that created the world wide web - Tim Berners Lee at CERN).

Microsoft has a tendency to do their own thing and as such don't follow the standards too well and this is where the nightmare with webdesign and browser compatibility stems from. Google Chrome and Firefox both use the same rendering engine and follow the same standards quite closely and so both have "generally" similar results although Chrome is still a relative newcomer and so has been playing catch up for abit and as such been improving alot.

Anyway just some notes.

webmaster wrote:

Dusky wrote:

Well your site (without looking at it) probably does not follow web standards too well as firefox is the leading browser to introduce and adopt web standards put forward by the W3C (organisation that created the world wide web - Tim Berners Lee at CERN).

Microsoft has a tendency to do their own thing and as such don't follow the standards too well and this is where the nightmare with webdesign and browser compatibility stems from. Google Chrome and Firefox both use the same rendering engine and follow the same standards quite closely and so both have "generally" similar results although Chrome is still a relative newcomer and so has been playing catch up for abit and as such been improving alot.

Anyway just some notes.

Webby: Not quite

Firefox uses the Gecko rendering engine, where as Google Chrome uses Webkit.

Chrome and Opera pass the Acid 3 test these days, where as the latest stable release of firefox only gets about 71/100, and the alpha 96?/100. While Chrome is extremely new to the browser game, the engine that Chrome is built off is not new.

But yes, they're both well ahead of Internet Explorer in following the webstandards, although the recent trend from Microsoft is to start trying to follow the standards. (Yay!)

Archived