Out fished in Morton Bay

Brian D

Well he did it - Terry H kicked arse in the bay.

You gotta let me set the scene to appreciate the success this guy had and the balls to go for it.

Firstly he booked this trip about a month ago - I get a message \"I'm busy for the next few weeks but if we could go out in the bay next month that would be great\". says Terry.

What? I thought, who can be so busy they gotta book fishing Moreton a month in advance. Anyway, I said sure, especially since the last trip with Terry was a catfish athon in Brissy river due to crap weather and gail force winds - won't happen again.

So 4 days before we go the weather report says 25 knotts - oh crap again - poor Terry. I send him a message \"Are you sure you want to go - weather will be shitty\"

Reply - I don't care about a bit of weather - can we still go somewhere? I could tell the guy wanted to kick a sharks arse. I realy didn't want to go, I've been there heaps and I could realy do with some easy time but OK meet at 4.00am.

So we meet at 4am, wind is blowing granny's nightie off and I've been cast netting for 30mins for bugger all.

Terry's face said it all - we gotta go, cyclone or not and here is what he did.

[img size=485]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/t2.JPG

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/01/28 18:23

post-118-144598406425_thumb.jpg

As you could see in the photo, I still had one of my big mullet on the table. (the 4 I had averaged 900 grams each, and that one was the biggest! so definitely the 1kg or more mullet.) So I finished prepping that up, and deployed out from the boat some 20-25m, and dropped it down to the bottom.

Then I start to type a text message. \"6ft\"... bzzzzztttt! Woh, TLD is on! Yank back hard to try and set the hooks, bzzzzt. Yeah! This one's bigger! woooooo. This shark comes from being straight out the back to straight out the side and even slightly forward of the boat, still powering along long my line is nothing. Brians behind me clearing clutter and bringing in lines so we can \"up anchor\". Who needs to up anchor? I've got 400-600m of line!

Line goes dead.

Crap. Left the 'bait' (read: Left my hooks with only zip ties left on them) out there incase he came back.

Finally I brought them back, once again the trace was absolutely shreded, pvc coated had been stripped and tape greatly slashed.

So, out goes another big mullet, this time on the Okuma. Tried to finish the message I started earlier, half way through it, once again... bzzzzzzzzzzztt!

Woooooo :woohoo: here we go! 3 runs in no time! Crank up the drag, pull up the rod and line still screams off. (used 60lb on a 50W) I noticed it was heading for that beacon (Brian had no concerns, despite the fact it would have passed the beacon, and been about 10-15m away from it.) Bugger that I thought! Last thing I need is for me to turn its head, and have it swim across the beacon, cutting me off. Sunset she goes! Line still comes off, but a lot and it really slowed down that shark. Then we saw (about 15m from the beacon, and in line with it) this large shark - brownish? in colour and about 7ft? possibly 8 (I dunno) thrashing about on the surface.

Line goes dead.

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :(

obviously I didn't set the hooks properly (again) - very disappointed!

Drop another bait, and no joke, within 5 minutes, this one got hit as well! Unfortunately it was only a tiny run, and he never really took the bait. (little inquiry)

Then the bites stopped, and after a while we moved on to another spot, where brian finally got a small run! I think I'll let him explain that :D

Yeap thanks Terry - I forgot about those bits. :pinch:

No not realy just thought I would keep a long story short.

The reasons I was not worried about the run past the beacon is that in my experience they head for open water unless you put too nuch preasure in them. If we had backed off the drag a bit and let it run I would have had the anchor up in another min or so and we might have got a free ride to Peel Island. Anyway it was fun while it lasted. I say closer to 8 foot - it was big and chould have been another big hammer.

My \"little run\" was a leopard shark about 7 foot long. The reason we don't have photos is that Terry Sabotaged the whole thing:evil: At first he pretends the camera doesn't work, so I give him the rod and get the camera going then com back and the shark was on the bottom again, so I give him back the camera and pull the shrak back up, and then Terry says camera doesn't work so I give him back the shark, fix the camera, sharks gone down again. So I pull it back up until it does the crockadile roll and breaks my line. But it counts cause I could have stuck it with a gaff but chose not too.

TerryH wrote:

Brian!!! Remeber how I tried to take a photo with my camera, and said that my camera was buggered?

Well, It was... sort of!

[img size=455]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/28_01_2007_Brians_Leopard_Shark.jpg

what the! :woohoo: it looks like you are trying to pull a sea monster out of the depths! :cheer:

beh thats camera phones for you mate. I've got a 2MP camera in my phone and its woefull in poor light and can't handle anything moving the slightest! My 3MP kodak camera however takes far better photos than my phone!

Seeing how you took a shot in the middle of the day, all the glare from the water might do funny things. You would have to get an opinion from one of our local pro photographers (I'm sure somewhere on here is!):)

Archived