Moreton Bay Classic a great event!

wesfish

i would just like to say thankyou to the guys that put the MBC together! B) i recommend that more of you fishing folk give this event a go next year, The prizes were awesome and so many prizes up for grabs, the chances of winning a prize is so high and you dont need a huge fish to take out a 1st , 2nd or third in each fish division ! the 8 species is a great choice as it covers very common species that can be found in very accessible spots in both boat and landbased fishing and caught on either bait or lures!

i highly rate the event and the folk behind the organization of the event!! ;):)

cheers

wes

Hampered by an ineffective alarm, I didn't make it to Manly until about 7/7:30. A bit of a chat with Angus and then Kriso then hit the water and had a bit of a play around Green. Had a late spoiling phone call yesterday to be at work at 10am so planned to island hop up to the river then pull up behind work in Aquarium Passage.

Remembered St Helena is now a Green zone, so skipped it and headed up to Mud to park amongst the many other hopefuls on the Eastern side. 100% Solunar peak was just after 10, so I fished a bit longer to see if it was true. Noone seemed to be doing any good from what I could see, so I was happy to land this monster snapper.

Thought I was a dead cert for $200 ! [img size=576]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Squire1.jpg

Got to work a little late (around noon) to find noone there. Damn ! Refuelled on the water and then headed back out to one of the channel markers for a while and I think the small mouth pickers were in numbers, so after a few shredded pillies and prawns I headed off toward mud trolling a Crazy Deep. These are great trolling lues. Haven't put one out without getting a quality fish yet ! :pinch:

True to form picked up this lovely round flathead. 3 species down now B) [img size=651]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Grinner1.jpg

post-564-144598496325_thumb.jpg

Continued on towards a Mud mark :blink: and found some nice structure to drift over.

Benno573 and crew paid a visit on their way back in. Kreel was warned not to take my prize, then they hooned off down the track making waves bigger than the weather gods did all day. :laugh:

I was just getting into relax mode with a can of Coke, a ciggy, and a few chuckles from the Continuous Call Team when the rod with my new (ex-Angus) Calcutta takes a hit.

Brought in this Beaut Snapper ! An upgrade to the earlier winning fish for sure :unsure: Taken on unweighted pillie. [img size=639]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Squire2.jpg

3 species and 1 upgrade so-far. :woohoo: Time was 3pm and the moon had risen.

The bites were on the increase. 3 times I got hit hard only to come up with a shorter leader and no terminal tackle :evil: Thinking it was some larger snapper or even a decent cod doing my 20lb 10X leader, I resorted to putting on some wire.

It did the trick and managed to bring in this really really fat whiting :woohoo: [img size=576]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/GT1.jpg

4 of the required species and $800 richer I decided as soon as I landed it that it was time to head for the presentation, with all the photographic evidence I'd need.

Presentation time was quoted to be at 4:30pm. I was going to have to hurry.

So with the Force at full throttle and the waves at idle I headed in :woohoo:

It was just too far and I arrived 2 minutes late :( So none of my winning entries were allowable :(:(

But there's always next year and I'm even more certain of that than Jeff F's family are of getting some new rods for Christmas :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bonus species - (deflated) GT [img size=576]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/GT3.jpg

GT = Golden Toad :P

well it was a great trip and both yoyo and i catching a few fish between us. to start the morning off we started our way from manly in the dark as a slow pace until i could figure out which way to go with out hitting any shallow banks! i made it all the way to st helena before i nearly ended up in the shallows :ohmy: but just seen the sounder in time ,phew! we tried the western side of mud and yoyo hit the first fish which was a squire, we both caught a couple of small squire before sunrise , this of course woke the grinners up but all so the tailor which was good to get a 2nd species, we fished this spot for a few hours and caught heaps of small squire and the odd grinner and shovelies, we pulled the anchor up and done a drift using the westerly wind to drift the southern side , using soft plastics in hand and a pilly out on the rod in the holder i caught some flounder and a bar tail flatty which was great to get 3rd species ticked off the list.yoyo boated a big sea toad which was funny. we then punched through the chop to get to a beacon to get a mackeral, upon arrival it was slow without a single strike on the chrome slugs, so we changed to bait and straight away yoyo had to upgrade my flatty and boated a nice flathead and another lol, a boat pulled up right near us and they boated a 65cm flatty, i thought that was huge for this spot but then his mate boated a 85cm fat as flatty!! he done the right thing and released it :) i am starting to think that some ultra deep hard bodies trolled along the shipping channel drop off would be worth a go next trip there! i ended up with a nice 36cm squire from this spot so i started with some sps and got a hit on a fast retrieve so i threw the chrome out again and got a small 41cm school mackeral :laugh: it was small but the only one boated yeah ha i dropped a slightly bigger one which was not good but oh well ! we then tried the inner beacon but with out success so we moved back to mud and caught some more squire and grinners to finish the trip.

it was great to meet you yoyo and i am glad we got onto 4 species from the list at least!! it was all so good to meet alot of the afo members as well and put a face to the names, a very happy bunch of people :laugh:

cheers

wes [img size=450]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/3-36e3874e3e3df4036c416fa765dbe466.jpg

post-4300-14459849634_thumb.jpg

Yep really was an awsome day B) good to meet a few more blokes from here and take out a couple of prizes for what seemed a piss poor day for fishing as the bay just didn't want to offer up and great catchs, :( weather was supurb with a almost glassed out bay it was a good chance to do some exploring also :laugh: from manly to Mud then to Amity, Dunwich, green channel back to harrys then manly so we saw pretty much used most of the Bay.

I would like to thank Angus n John for another great effort yesterday I know it must be hard sitting there listening to all the good n bad storys without being out there yourself Two thumbs up guy's

Also thanks Kriso for the Beer Glasses! :ta:

Enough from me hopefully jeff F will post up some pics as he had the Camera See ya all next time Darren

Cowfish, you'll be too busy at Uni next year :laugh:

Looks like we might have to add the toadies to the species list next year.

I was talking to noname after the presentation, recalling a hot bite I had on them a couple of years ago. The first one I got on an estimated 40 cm flattie that took the pillie first :ohmy:

Here's the pics for Rob

I brought the flathead head home and took the pic that night. [img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Flathead_head_AFO-7173fdd1a3d50902a3352b9a72406968.jpg

post-564-144598496394_thumb.jpg

What an awesome day! I think Benno's going to write a separate report so I won't go into too much detail, except to show you my three entries.

Thanks again to Benno573 for taking us out and putting us onto the fish. Thanks also to Angus and John for organising such a terrific event :) and to Chesterfield Australia and Sports Tuition for our lucky door prizes. Kreel, Benno and I all won John Deere promotional packs and Kreel won a half day charter with Sports Tuition with lucky number 13!

[img size=800]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1030834.jpg

14cm flathead :blush: I thought it was good enough for 3rd place for a while there until Do$tylz measured in his winning fish :laugh:

post-2560-144598496397_thumb.jpg

hey angus ive been meaning to ask about how those of us who won the sports tuition package can claim it? like is there a certificate or something or will you just pass our emails onto him for him toarrange it with us?

awseom day by the way, except our unluckiness to find the fish other then pike lol better luck next time

WTF? Where is that dead whale situated??

Thanks for everyone that posted photo results, I especially enjoyed the round flathead and fat whiting pics ;)

We didnt make it to the comp but fished Mud from 3pm to 9 on Friday night. Nothin but baby squire, which was a little sad given the conditions looked perfect. Too much moon for the big knobbies perhaps?

I know there is no shortage of thieves in the bay, some dirty gypsy stole another one of my pots from Mud Island after leaving them to soak all day Saturday.

Archived