Surf Fishing...Alvey vs Spinner???

Yoodles82

depends spin would be nice due to more reliable drag but alvey is the way to go if your going of the beach

10 or more years use out of an alvey compared to like no more than a year with a spin unlesss you never drop it in sand or water

and you can wash it of in the salt water when you get sand on them

Mate as with everyone else. Only get a Spinner if you are plannign on not dropping it in the sand or in the water. You can drop the Alvey on the beach then wash it in the water and all fine and dandy just rinse off with some fresh water when you get home.

i agrred with previous quote: alvey for bait, spinner for lures....but alveys are still good for lures, and as said by everyone one; are really tough....i'd go the alvey anyday...and big fish on alvey's are lots and lots and lots of fun...some of my most memorable fights have been on alveys...GO ALVEY

Alvey for beach/surf fishing has always been my choice,the 650 series matched with a short butt rod

In the 650 reel series you get a 650RBC geared reel that has a retrieve rate of about a metre a turn,gear ratio of 2:1. does the job well for bait and metal throwing for tailor,and good long distance casting

As long as you don't loose it,or treat them like utter cr#p,they should last a lifetime.

One investment worth thinking about

cheers

I'm an absolute alvey nut but agree with the alvey for bait, eggbeaters for lures.

I happily use the alvey for all bait fishing and for 15 to 30 minute sessions throwing metals. Any longer than that and you will find twist will become a problem and you will realy start to feel the weight and your wrist.

Well i'm glad i asked the question....and since i don't have too much in the way of lures for surf, i think Alvey is the go.

So now for the next question...

What size? I see there are 6inch, 6.5inch, and 7inch surf models.

Also, graphite or stainless steel backs?

Direct wind, or lever drag?

Any other tips would be a great help...as i'm willing to spend the money if it means i'll have it for a while :-)

Nat

Iam an alveyholic. love them cant beat them. Parts dont rattle loose on them when there traveling in the rod holders on th bull bar. Have had spin reels loose there handles and a spool once due to vibration on the rough inland tracks. I have an awsome collection of old and new style alveys all of them are good but one that stands out from the rest is an alvey model called the "rock hopper". Try to stay away from the knuckle busting type alveys there the ones with the fixed handles on the spool rather choose a star drag alvey. Select an alvey that has a spool made of bakelite or resin composite rather than a plastic spool. choose an alvey with stainless rod seat mountings rather than the plastic type.Coose an alvey with the widest spool (not diameter) this will increase your casting distance . Like i metioned erlier the rock hopper it is the ducks nuts and you get what you pay for. Hope this helps ya.

Just went up to the shed and loked at some reel serial numbers for ya. stay clear of the 650a models i dont like em so iam not going to recormend them. 650c is a well constructed reel wide spool staino backing and fiixings backelite spool, star drag ,12 point anti reverse counter weighted handle,they have diferant drag washers than the rest there a hard slipery glossy looking washer i supose that why it works so smooth and is about $70 cheaper than the rock hopper model. In my eyes the rock hoper model is a 650c it is just a more refined operating reel.

Yoodles the size reel will depend on the rod you buy or have. Most 13'6" rods balance nicely with a 650 and 12fters are better with a 600. Have the rod and reel together to see how they feel together when you are buying one or the other then you can't go wrong.

Unlike Mick I love the non drag versions and enjoy the smell of burning flesh in the morning, hooked up to some animal taking line as the sun peeks over the horizon :woohoo: but I have been fishing with them for a long time. I fish with a bcvrr at times but usually find myself locking it up and fishing it as a fixed spool :blink:

One of the metal back C drags will probably be the best choice if you are just starting out. Either way you should get plenty of fun with it. Oh and 6kg platypus platinum is perfect for most situations, or 10kg if off the rocks or targeting large greenbacks or jew.

Yoodles82 wrote:

So now for the next question...

What size? I see there are 6inch, 6.5inch, and 7inch surf models.

Also, graphite or stainless steel backs?

Direct wind, or lever drag

Nat

Just be aware that the alvey reel sizes are designed with a general rod length in mind.

eg..550 = suitable for about a 9`-10`6" rod

6oo = 10`6-12`

650 =13`6"

This is just a guideline,also take into account the weight factor of your outfit,as they can become heavy after a long beach/surf session.

Look for a rod with a winch fitting no more than 200mm from the end of the rod as this is an important factor with an alvey for getting distance in your casting

Mate you got to go the Alvey,they are indistructable.I use a 6500BC-V on a 13ft 6 Snyderglas Magsurf and can throw a 10 ball with a large chunk of Boneto Miles

You can drop em in the surf or on the beach just give em a quick dip in the sea and they are good to go,Hose them off when you get home how simple.

good luck fishing Budy

Archived