Carp a bit Koi

Dinodadog

Had to drop some plants down to my sons new place in the hinterland so naturaly in went the rods. As I thought, the bass were still missing as yet, water was still very cold and the bass havnt got back up this far yet from there winter migration down stream. What I was shocked to find was the amount of carp, I have never seen them in such numbers in this area. Each part of the creek I visited there were groups of 5 to 10 carp fossicking around. I could cast a lure out and drag it back in right over the top of thier backs and they could not care, I dangled a shrimp in front of one group and they would swim over near it and then swim off. At one stage I was retreiveing a small s/bait and had a carp swim up behind it and the s/bait slid into its mouth and I thought I had my first carp on s/bait, but as easy as it slid into its mouth it slid right back out again. I think they may have been a bit Koi. Might have to invest in a crossbow to get rid of the pests. Here is a couple of pics, look hard and you can see carp.

Fish while you can

Dinodadog

orange koi carp koi_001.JPG

fishingnut wrote:

just kill em davo, no need to sell em for some other c0ck sucker to release into our waters

just more education is needed .

at the ekka and most boat shows etc there are groups that do it .

they just got to learn u don't want a fish .give it away ,heaps of other people want them .

sell or give to the pet shop .

last resort ,freeze them and bin em.

we kill carp and tibia we catch .

shame to kill a big , nice looking carp or koi.

relocate them to move them to some1 that want's them would be better .

that way there is less of them bred or brought in to the country.

i know its illegal .but just a thought

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

fishingnut wrote:
just kill em davo, no need to sell em for some other c0ck sucker to release into our waters

just more education is needed .

at the ekka and most boat shows etc there are groups that do it .

they just got to learn u don't want a fish .give it away ,heaps of other people want them .

sell or give to the pet shop .

last resort ,freeze them and bin em.

we kill carp and tibia we catch .

shame to kill a big , nice looking carp or koi.

relocate them to move them to some1 that want's them would be better .

that way there is less of them bred or brought in to the country.

i know its illegal .but just a thought

you say less of them bred by giving to people that want em? pfft killing them halts there breeding pretty quick

The thing is, how do you suppose the original Carp, Tilapia and other exotics were first brought into the country? Almost definately by some aquarists. And obviously, when the fish got too big, the aquarist didn't want to kill their favourite pet, so they released it.

Catch and kill helps, but the only way to really remove a population is electrofishing done by the suitably governing bodies, or a biological agent, as they have been trying to do with Cane Toads. However, the pathogen would have to be extremely specific for it not to affect the other fish species...

Dino,

Suspending minnows will sometimes do the trick, I used to use tilsan bass/trout lures just work them really slowly. I imagine any of the good jap bream suspenders would probably work better, brighter colours generally worked better too. Slow is the big trick, and right in front of their noses. Strike when you see them suck on the lure, they dont hit a lure like other fish. On lure they are a serious challenge and on light gear they are a blast, plus were doing our bit cleaning out those big breeders.

In to em.....

Brett

Archived