shultz canal, part 5!!??!!!!!!!!!

Jordan

just bought some awesome ebay lures the other day (angels of death, baby faces, they sell everyday at around 6pm), and was itchin to try them out so went for a dawn session this morning to try them out. far out am i glad i got up early...

got there at around 6.30, alot later than i was hoping. wasnt 2 casts before i was on, and with a decent fish to. reeled it in to reveal a very nice bream. let it go, then went over to mangrove jacks place to see if he was home. unfortunatley he wasnt, but his housekeeper, fiona flathead was, and my had she put on some weight. after exchanging our \"nice to see you\" and \"hows the kids?\" she was back in the water.

couple of casts later got another flatty, bout 35cm's or so. after seeing there were some flatties present, i noticed a shallow patch of water, and casted over it in search of another beast. first cast and i was on, but it felt far from a flatty, reeled it in to find it was a very nice sized whiting. i was suprised at that, but that was jsut the start of the suprises.

had a cast at a big patch of surface action, and holy crap, hold on! the line went off like nothing else. got it to reveal a huge mangrove jack, but as i was lifting it over the rocks it threw the lure at me and swam off :ohmy: at least i got my lure back. it would have been mayb just over 40? (not as big as gerties :( )

few casts later in the same area, and bang! off it went again. another jack!!!! couldnt believe it, this one was far smaller, but was still putting up a trophy fight. managed to get this one in and take some photos before its release.

believe it or not, i cast my lure at a school of mullet and let it sit there. after about 10 seconds the lure got nibbled at, and so i struk. the mullet went mad, and darted thisway and that, before taking me into an abbandoned drag net. -sigh- so in i went, unfortunatley the mullet got off by the time i got out there. nothing like a seven oclock swim in some bogan creek...

it wasnt 20 mins after that, that the biggest suprise of the day came

as i was reeling in my lure, i noticed a very large 'v' heading towards my lure. 'u beauty' i thought as i waited for it to hit it, but it diddnt, so i slowly reeled it further and further in, as the 'v' followed ever so closeley behind, before i reeled it in about 3 metres away from where i was standing. and thats when i saw what it was. an 80cm bullie had been following my lure, and it was now swimming barely a foot away from the ledge i was standing on, happy with the fact that i was towering just above it. it was far more interested in the lure as i drew 8's in the water right in front of me. as it lost intrest it slowly swam away. 8 times it did this and 8 times it followed the lure right back to my feet. i could see the trebbles bouncing off its nose, thats how close it was. it must have been hypnotised by the rattle or sumthin, just wasnt to interested in eating it. tried every type or retrieval i could think of, all with the same result.

decided id had enough after that, the tide was leaving me with a water surrounded rock, and i wasnt looking foward to walking through the water with him around, even if it was a little one.

Post edited by: Jordan, at: 2007/03/21 10:16

Awesome report mate.

Interesting lure what was that one called? I reckon the bass would frikkin love that.

The colorations on the flattys are cool.

And hats off to you thats a nice little jack. Very jealous.

Cant wait to check this place out man.

Angus

haha yea the jack and the little flatty in particular had some awesome colours, also the bullie had an amazing pinkish/purple tinge to it, it was an awesome sight. the lures are 'angels of death, baby faces' u get em off ebay at around 6pm everyday. theyve got a whole heap of others im wanting to try out now as well

Well done jordan!!! Looks like the canal is treating you well again. If only I had been there this time :P

Was this in the same spot we fish normally or further down? Good to hear there are some ripper fish in there, just like we had guessed from the amount of bait fish there last time.

Those lures look interesting too, might have to grab a few...

The ol Ebay Angels of Death eh?

I've got a set of their minnows, and their poppers, they are great, got a barra on one at Lenthalls. Have got bass on both.

Their lipless crankbaits (jackall imitations)are crap though, pull through the water sideways.

well done ... thats a nice fat little whiting you got there ..... when you bought your baby faces did u buy them in a pack of 5 . if so are they all different sizes cioz thats what it looks like... im thinking abuot buying some angels of death lures.

Post edited by: dom..., at: 2007/03/21 20:04

Archived