aquariums

adventure_angler

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a little late but i only just got all the reef inplace tonight lol. I am planning on getting some seahorses. starfish a couple of crabs and maybe some non aggressive fish that are compatable but will look into that. this is a 3 foot. i went and bought a 6ft but hubby complined i was spending too much so i will slowly set that one up and transfer everything besides he still needs to get off his but and build a stand for it :laugh:

Bud: Where abouts did you get the tank from? Did you get it professionally made? Also how much was it and did you get any accessories or stand with it?

Reason I ask is I am in need of a new tank for my Barra. He's 50cm long and in a 35cm wide tank. He can only just turn around.

Troy

Mate that's the best bit it was free. I was at a mates party and was talking to the next door neighbour and he told me he had this tank he wanted to get rid of...the rest is history. No stand, nothing just the tank. But I have a stand for it, just need to get some metal strips for the corners and build a lid. (got the timber for free from work) went and looked at filters today. quoted $300 for a filter that sits on the outside. Where would you guys buy your filter from or any suggestions on brands etc...Can't wait to set it up and post some pics....

hey bud I have a hang on filter on my tank and $300 bucks is right on the money, their a damn good filter as u can add biological material(bio balls) to it to increase the good bacteria to help keep the tank A1 clean and the filter also has a spot to fit ya heater so no more bulky electrical parts filling up ya tank space but the down side is that they sound like someone left the tap dripping:angry:as they are an over flow style filter. They also they need to put on a timer so U can sleep at night or U will be up every 10minutes to take a leak......:pinch:

But for about the same amount of money U could also install a sump style filter which is a better way to go as it increases the volume of water but takes up more space.......

As for the brand of the filter my ones a ViaAqua....

Post edited by: Dazzamcgee, at: 2007/05/12 21:50

I currently use internal power filters and external canister filters. The externals are extremely good at keeping the water clean and require less cleaning than normal filters due to the large amount of filter media they can hold. They can also be stored under the tank or in the cabinet and are out of sight. That way you can only see the input and output flow tubes.

I buy ALL of my aquarium gear from this shop / website. They have a shop at Browns Plains, but I always get my stuff delivered straight to the door.

Age of Aquariums
/>http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/

Just compare prices between this place and any other aquarium and the savings are amazing. You can also buy bulk food (5kg) which can save you hundreds.

They sell almost everything you could ever need for your fish tank.

Well worth a look!

-nelson-

I have a 120litre tank, all it needs is a Big W $18 - 3 stage filter. Mind you it really needs replacing, first 6 months it ran fine with just the charcoal getting replaced and filters cleaned every 6 to 8 weeks, but it must be wearing out, it stops blowing air if I dont clean the filters every couple of weeks. Mind you at $18 a throw who cares! :P

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/05/13 14:05

Thanks nelson. will definately look into it that place. The next problem will be the water. Cause I worked it out it holds roughly 920 litres and in the current water crisis I kinda feel bad using that much water to fill a tank. (might just have to go raid a friends water tank):whistle: Nevertheless I am damn excited about having some little fishies swimming around in it.

hey all,

I thought i'd jump in. Ive just purchased a decent aquarium from a mate who's leaving the country, so got it on the cheap. Its a 6 x3 x2, with filter and lights. He was prevously using for tropicals. Im planning on getting some bass in there first time around. Are there any other natives that go well with bass?

I'll add a piccy when its all set up!

Ash: Barra go well with bass...it's great watching them munch them...no seriously I don't know I am guessing yellowbelly as both of them live in the dams together but I would think they would have to be of the same size so one is not more dominent ( I am only guessing on this maybe someone will correct me.)

Mate that's the best shot i can get without having to take it off the tank.. The water just passes (over and under) through a series of sections first being the protein skimmer(only works with saltwater) then the bio material, past the heater and through the filter charcoal/floss then over the edge back into the tank....

• 10 months later...

ive only ever had fresh set ups. got a barra at the moment mixed in with a couple of silver dollars, angels and 2 jack dempseys. i wanna have the barra in a dedicated tank but cant cos i have no where else to put the tank. so i may be looking at giving it away

I have 5 tanks

1x 2ft with a rainforest scorpion

1x 2ft had about 20 baby silver scats untill they caught white spot and died

1x 2ft with 2 bullrout

1x 4ft with a 20cm Barra, catie and red claw

1x 5ft with my favrouite 3 40cm Barra all called barry they are so tame you can pat and lift them nearly out of the water and eat anything. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/barrry.jpg

post-1303-144598449431_thumb.jpg

kriso wrote:

estuary? also any one had live coral and clownies like a reef setup?

my friend across the road has a reef sorta tank i think its 6 by 2 by 3 round that anyway and it looks awesome he has a fair few little reef fish in it clown fish and the like other than fish he has live rock in it with onamanies dont no how to spell that but who cares

I am very keen to start up an aquarium. Is it legal for me to catch a fish and keep it in an aquarium? I think it would be much cooler to have one i caught myself than to buy one.

WOuld a wild caught fish still do ok eating fish feed? or would i need to feed it bait

Woody

woody1 wrote:

I am very keen to start up an aquarium. Is it legal for me to catch a fish and keep it in an aquarium? I think it would be much cooler to have one i caught myself than to buy one.

WOuld a wild caught fish still do ok eating fish feed? or would i need to feed it bait

Woody

It is completely legal if the fish is over the legal size limit. If there is no size limit, you can take any size:) I've caught and kept loads of small fresh water fish and their still fine on my normal gold fish flakes:)

They do occasionally get nailed by my pet Yabby though:D

kriso wrote:

estuary? also any one had live coral and clownies like a reef setup?

Yeah mate. I've kept a 35cm Cod in my Marine tank before. All he did was hide in the rock works, then come out when no one was in the room and smash every living thing in there.:( :laugh:

Seriously, slammed around 1kg of live prawns that I had caught down at Yeronga in 1 night. Had all these antannea sticking out of its mouth in the morning. And a big fat gut too.:P Also inhaled a small scat I had in there, also a small diver whiting as well. In the end he got too much to feed so I returned him to the section of river that I caught him in.

But I just took down my 4x2x2 marine tank. Took all the fish and most of the rock to my mates house. He's currently just running in a 6x3x3 tank. Its MASSIVE. I've got a 5x2x2 that I'll build up in due time though.

We've both had experience with corals and fish in tanks. He works at Pet City right now as well.

Its a hobby thats more expensive than fishing:blush: :blink:

Archived