squid season

kenflyfish

gday bud,was out there at shorny pier castin 4 live bait last friday night and got 2 really small squid in the net. dosent look like there is to much around there at moment.plenty of bait fish and a few smallish prawns mainly. at bribie about a month ago late at night i seen some guy pulling up a few really big ones off the bridge about 4th pylon out from island side with squid jigs and glow stiks. good luk mate. cheerin

Kreel:

Much to most peoples misunderstanding an Egi is the jig, not the squid. Its a Japanese word. Hence to go "Egging" is to go jigging, not squidding As per precise translation).

In Japanese "Eka" is the squid.

I am under the assumption that as Japan (or in some cases China under the guise of Japan) makes such a massive portion of the global squid jig market, "Egi" is a fairly universal word for "jig".

Hope that makes sense.

Angus

Angus wrote:

Kreel:

Much to most peoples misunderstanding an Egi is the jig, not the squid. Its a Japanese word. Hence to go "Egging" is to go jigging, not squidding As per precise translation).

In Japanese "Eka" is the squid.

I am under the assumption that as Japan (or in some cases China under the guise of Japan) makes such a massive portion of the global squid jig market, "Egi" is a fairly universal word for "jig".

Hope that makes sense.

Angus

Yes, egi is Japanese word. In Japanese, it's written as 餌木, 餌 means "bait", 木 means "wood". So egi means bait made from wood.

I thought with Kanji it wasn't the individual symbols that sounded out the word (like with say English, or in Japanese, hiragana or katakana). So wouldn't it need both symbols to actually resemble the word Egi?

This is just going off 4 years of primary school Japanese so it could be way, way off (and probably is)

Angus wrote:

Cool ken I didnt know that.

So based on a friendly lesson I had last night regarding the nature of Japanese symbols...

Does 餌 sound out as "E"?

And 木 as "Gi/Gee"?

Cheers.

Angus

Yes Angus, you're right. So Eging is 餌木ing, it's Japanglish.

Didn't think I was right haha. I never did pay attention in that class

Back to the original question. Give it two weeks to a month and they'll start firing up. There's a few over near Moreton Island at the moment so once the water clears up and gets a bit cooler inshore, they should start moving in.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah they are around alright.

Last weekend Henry and I hit the mouth and had heaps following. Henry ended up changing his pastic to a jig and nailed couple.

They were also so thick they turned up in the cast net at the Pinkenba ramp!

Angus

rosco1974 wrote:

mate there has been big squid over the rous channel for months now but by the sounds of it u are land based bugger

cheers rosco

Only if ppl knew how big these are! A friend of mine was there last week and gave me some, AWESOME... I believe their called tiger squid, i could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time. The big ones are there if you know where to go.

jeff f wrote:

this bit of a cool change should bring them in

agree..over the years leading up to Anzac day and a week or 2 after we seem to get a cooler weather pattern come through, that brings on the squid in reasonable numbers for a while.

A spot north of Brisbane for land based fisho`s that often fires at this time is the area between Bongaree jetty and the little bridge on Wesley Parade on Bribie Island.

Archived