What ply thickness to use on my fit out????

ozskippy

Hey guys just ripped apart my 420 wd dory and am fitting it out with extended casting deck raised floor etc. I have done all the bracing and aluminum work but was wondering what thickness ply to use on the casting deck?? I have use 12 mm on the hull floor and walls of the deck but what should i use on the deck it has to span about 500 x 500 between bracing supports so i can have hatches etc. Also is structural ply painted OK to use and carpet??

12mm. Yes structural ply is ok to use. Make sure you paint or seal it thoroughly. Use stainless screws to screw it down. The use construction adhesive to glue the carpetdown.

What i have also found good is to use stainless press studs to clip the carpet in.Then you can remove easily to wash it thoroughly.

richard.

ozskippy wrote:

So you think 12mm would be no good. Could i spray contact adhesive on for the carpet using a spray gun?????

yeah 12mm would be fine mate just seal it.

I have used that contact adhesive and sprayed it on through a spray gun works a treat........until you take the boat out in the sun on a very hot day then the heat seems to reactivate the glue for some reason and the carpet bubbles up.The carpet goes down flat again once it cools.use liquid nails/costruction adhesive like shortie already said.I used it ,works a treat.

mick

hey guys went to bias today yesterday and they told me it had to be exterior ply not just structural is this correct.Hope i haven;t just wasted a full day and 3 sheets of ply ARRRRRR!!!! they also said i had to seal it with some epoxy stuff.IS this correct have people just used normal structural ply and what is the best method to seal it i will attach some photos soon tell us what you think. please!!!!!!!!

if your using lower grade ply, get yourself some Timber treatment, it comes in 2 parts paint and hardener. Its not very expensive and will help with keeping the timber in good shape and guarding against wood rot....cheers Beejay

the idea is to seal the ply wood so the water don't soak into the sides ,or it will rot and fall apart .

some ply has a top and bottom surface that is sealed ,i think.

i think this is concrete form ply,exterior ply,it has shiny finished surface.

i can't see why u can't u any type of ply as long as u seal it .

that's the trick to making it last .

make sure u seal the wood well.

there is going to be paints ,epoxy paints etc ,some people fiberglass the ply and gel/flow coat it .

it all depends on what u want to spend i guess .

Just mix the 2 part epoxy timber treatment and paint it straight on the structural ply with a paint brush, dont be afraid to paint it everywhere, push the brush into all the nooks and crannys on the timber(especially the edges where water gets in).

As for what Bias Boating told you, they are just advising you of the best methods and materials to use, just remember that if you use cheaper materials you really need to make sure you look after it, otherwise it wont last...cheers Beejay

I just know it as a 2 part epoxy timber treatment, you should be able to get it from Bias or any chandlery shop.

It is usually 2 x 500ml cans which makes 1 litre of treatment. Shouldnt cost more than $20 bucks but its been a while since i bought some so not sure....cheers Beejay

ok so i bit the bullet and got some epoxy timber preserver - $72 for 2L i have given it a good coat used all 2L. Should i seal it with another coat of normal exterior paint or can i just look to put the carpet on.. Any tips on doing the carpeting. Layout corner etc

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great, I like what you have done. I just bought a cheap tinny to do the same thing. Did you have to remove a seat to do this or did you only have 2? If you have them can you post some more shots of the ally bracing and fit out if you have them? Sorry for the questions and do not want to hijack this. Cheers Ted

I only had two seats so i didn't have to remove anything unfortunately i don't have anymore pics of the bracing as i only had my phone on me when i was doing it. Pretty happy with the end result. Takes some time to do though not hard just time consuming to get it right

shortie wrote:

A couple of good thick coats of paint is enough.

Mate your mad if you go down the resin track for this do as above 12mm will be sweet and stuctural ply is exteria ply only better form ply same again but already coated top and bottom go form ply i reckon

structural ply is not exterior ply from my understanding and research. From what i could findout and see at gills...all ply has a waterproof bonding, structural is pine. exterior is made of hardwood as to is marine, form obviously has the coating. It was much cheaper to buy structural and use resin than form or exterior and more importantly lighter i checked the weight of exterior sheets they were a lot heavier. You don't have to use the resin i am just about only having to do things once so i over kill not to ken to carpet it again in a hurry. My floor is 12mm but the casting deck and hatch is 15mm so i could span the bacing without flex

hmmm depends on a lot, brand and so on - for me

Battery $300 to $400

Battery Charger $250

Watersnake 54lb bow mount $750

I personally find the foot pedal a little difficult to use. Give me a pain in the back. I think at the minimum I would get a wrist remote.

Maybe consider the new Minn Kota with GPS it is awesome. You can set your course and it auto adjust your course. Not sure on the cost but think $2000

Archived