kingie from the rock

tugger

Well i headed out to my usual winter spot on saturday with a couple of mates plus daveylad had to pull out at the last minute but i'm sure we'll make up for that. Got a nice early start and was crossing the bar just on first light with an incoming tide it was flat. Once there we soundered around with my new sounder and wow now i understand why this place works so well.

With the burley out and baits sent out we were full of promise but the reefies were slow to start with so i made sure i got some live bait in the shape of some small trevally. Deployed the livie out the back and got back to floatlining and it was about an hour before the livie went off.

Wow this fish looked strong so i put my deckie onto this rod and cleared the decks for the good fight. Well my deckie moaned and groaned while this fish did plenty of runs and took about 10 minutes to get a look at him. With the gaff shot made i placed him on the deck and gave him his last rights then high fives were needed.

With this fish iced down in the slurry we continued with floatlining but still the reefies didn't show up till later in the day in any sort of numbers. Around the turn of the tide i told my deckies they would come on and i was right and we ended up with a nice mixed bag in the end of yellow tail kingfish, moses perch, wrasse, parrot, green jobfish and snapper.

During the whole day we were in the middle of large pods of whales putting on a show with some of them coming right down the side of the boat. We would have seen close to 50 of these large animals having a whale of a time.

After the bait was used up we pulled the pick and headed home on glassy conditions it was a fitting way to finish the day

Brian i was using wire because i heard there was a late run of mackerel so i use single strand wire down to a 8/0 gamagatsu hook then a 2nd strand of wire from that hook down to a large treble. i put the top hook in just behind the head and the treble just back from the tail and underneath and always away from its lateral line.

Dave i had to take what was left as there was a lot of boats there but basically in my usual area, had loads of scuba companies near us with costumers and spear fisherman moving around us most of the morning. it wasn't until they all left that the reefies showed up

surprised we got the kingie in amongst all the boats roaring around us they didn't give us much room anchoring and drifting within 10m of us most of the morning and a few of them moving mutiple times very close

1 of the spearfisherman called out he saw a wahoo right next to us

Archived