Hinze Dam Trip (advancetown Lake)

Angus

hell yeh! :woohoo: i want in! just gotta see if theyve all ready rostered me down for that day at work... lets leave at around 2am??? :P

james has to go aswell :P ... he seems to be one of the ones on the site that knows what hes doing... and after seeing those yellowbelly! :woohoo: ahah

what lures do you recommened me getting for hinze, james??? :? hardbodies i mean... i wana get my 1st on a hb :)

troy

just checked out that site on your post gus... does that mean i have to pay $5??? or is it only if your over 18??? i wanna catch me a saratoga now!

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2006/07/26 09:43

Guys, i got a better idea - my uncle lives down that way and he says theres alot of local creeks that are loaded with fish cause when the dam floods all the fish go over the dam wall into the local creeks. He hates fresh water fishing but he said he has seen stuff jump out of the water and they werent mullet. ill call him and ask were these places are.

DAVE

read bush n beach steve wilkes article he is fair dinkum and writes his reports from actual trips .( I introduced feral and his boys to bass fishing on one of steves father and sons weekends and now they cant get enough) Steve will even give latest info over phone if you ring him.

Shrimp are always a good standby at hinze but be prepared to move if you start getting nibbles and losing the heads- it means the dreaded banded grunter have moved in.Second bait choice are feeder crays from the petstore the bass dont bite as well as on shrimp but the big advantage is the banded grunter dont like them. Saltwater yabbys only attract the grunter and i have never caught bass on them. If you run out of bait you will always have fun catching the grunter on grunter fillets and the accasional bass will hit them also.

there is a old bloke ( older than me) who spends an hour 1st thing catching small banded grunter with a scoop net and then fishes using them as live bait. he reguraly catches 40cm + bass

i will consultwith feral and his feraletts to see if we all can come.

Ray

I catch my crays $5.95 for 10 and shrimp (very small) $4.96 for 10 at pet superstore at capalaba have been told betterquality at pet store at Annerley.

Queensland weekender on 22/7 had an article on a Steve Wilkes sports tuition trip and it showed steve catching a heap of shrimp in the dam . I havent spoken to steve but it looks like the shrimp may have come back but you would have to go down the night before to try for the shrimp.

Ray

If you are approaching from nerang do not cross the dam wall and keep going straight ahead and the gates are open all the time . if you use the other ramp i think they open the gates at 7am.

I am not aware of any craft for hire on the dam yet. I think that steve wilkes intends to do something in the future. Try giving him a ring on 0403154510.

If its any help i have a spare 45lb motorguide and a couple of 130 ah deep cycle batteries if anyone wants to use them ,the batteries are 2 years old and only at 75%capacity but would be ok for the hinze.

You would have to completely remove your normal motor to go on the hinze.

That weekend is the missus's annual church fundraiser, so if I go I'll have to take all 3 kids.

Ray, I'd come down for the weekend and leave Lorraine at home to do her church stuff. If we come and spend the night do you think we could outfit that 8 footer with that motor and batteries, you could take the boys in yours, and I could take Erin in the 8 footer. That way if the 8 footer gives us trouble or those old batteries give up the ghost we can all hop into yours. Might make a good shake down trip for it, with a safety factor having the other boat along.

Brian D wrote:

What time do the gates open to the park and can we hire electric caneos or do I have to paddle?

Brian,

Just been talking with the Captain (rayke38) says he is going to check if Steve Wilkes is running any charters that day, his prices for a half day charter are apparently very reasonable.

Last time I went to Hinze I hired 2 canoes - but they were paddle power and with 4 gals in my family I found myself jumping between both or towing one. Guess I hope you guys are better at things then that, otherwise Feral and Ray will be laughing from the other side of the lake.!

I have just spoken to Steve Wilkes and he said that if sufficient people are interested he can arrange canoe/motor hire or if you wish he could do a guided charter. I think that he needs more than 6 people to do a charter and charges ( correct march this year) 60 dollars for a 6am till midday charter this included morning tea and bait.

Most of the canoes have outriggers and are very stable, they accomodate 3 people.

He also now has some quintrex explorers that are a bit more roomy.

I would suggest that all people who dont have a boat get together and give steve a ring on 0403154510. His websire is www.geocities.com/sportstuition

I have also asked steve if he can supply shrimp for the group so if anyone needs any please let me know and i will pick them up and bring them along on the day.

the last time i got them they were $3.50 for 10 and they are always a good size.

Let me know via the forum or email me at rayke1938@yahoo.com.au

ray

have got 100 shrimp on order for myself and feral and his tribe and angus if anyone else wants some please let me know i will pick them up on saturday morning and bring them to the dan on sunday. if anyone else wants some i will increase order to 200 and i am quite happy to keep the extras as they keep ok in my tank. cost is 35 cents each which is a bargain.

what time are we meeting?

ray

The hinze attach is next weekend Yeah? Where do we meet? What time? R we having a BBQ/lunch or just a canteen stop?

Ray put me down for some shrimp if we're still doing the trip but I'll need some advice on rigs and tackle if you don't mind. I hardly do any fresh water fishing.

Is 6lb fireline too heavy? What size leader, is 10lb flurocarbon OK?

Hooks - I'll guess at about a 4 - 6 size., chemical sharpened - would that be OK?

Weight? - Don't know - at a guess maybe split shots whould be good.

What about floats - are the fish on the surface?

Help Please!

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/13 16:27

Brian,

Use mustad big mouth hooks exclusively for Bass bait, (3/0 or 4/0) can show you the rig on the day. Generally lead at bottom, dropper about a metre up, 30cm in the dropper for the shrimp to float about.

Dunno about leaders etc, I am a mono man(6lb)! but 8lb diameter or smaller should be good. I know ray does not use a leader, just straight braid.

Going to take some SP's as well, had success with orange through yellow shads on bass in the past.

Dunno what time we will get there, the kids and I will be staying at Ray's that night, (Victoria point), probably targeting around dawn at the dam. Had not thought about lunch, BBQ's there from memory are wood, Canteen might be to go.

What do others reckon?

I was planning on Canteening it as im notsure how many of the \"Maybe's\" are going to show.

Thus planning a BBQ could be a pain.

Unless of course we BYO which is great.

In this case we should just see who wants to BBQ and who wants to Purchase and maybe eat together and have a yarn anyway?

Brian, as far and bait i was thinking of floating around weed beds with a ball float and split shots.

But i think ill concentrate more on SP's and Hardbodies.

Looking really forward to it guys. Almost like a mini Awoonga considering who is going :)

Angus

6lb line and 10 leader will be ok i usually dont bother with leader fish braid straight to the hook. re rig hook on loop dropper 12- 18 inches above sinker then drop line to bottom and wind up 1 turn and wait for bite.

i have just spoken to steve wilkes and he cant get shrimp from regular supplier for 2 weeks but said should be able to get some elsewhere he will give me a ring and let me know

ray

how about 6am at the ramp and lunch at canteen. they make a good burger only drawback is will have to walk in a bit as no boat parking bays at canteen. when arriving from nerang do not cross over the dam as the gate on the picnic area ramp will be closed.If i cant get shrimp from steve i will get feeder crays from capalabe pet store.

ray

6.00am is good for me - a bit late you slackers. I'm on foot as well unless I can get something sorted out in the next couple of days. My wife tells me that the guy I used to hire canoe from don't do it no more. Bugger! Does anyone have any ideas. We need 2 or 3 more canoe's by the look of things.

And I reakon the canteen looks good for a have day stop to exchange stories and lies - I mean tales.

Feral - you supprise me with hook size, I don't remember useing such a big hook, but I guess you know.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/14 16:06

BAD NEW RE SHRIMP

i have just spoken to steve wilkes and he cannot get any shrimp from any of his suppliers, Annerley aquarium may have some at 2pm on thursday, capalabe pet superstore cant get any. If i cant get any from annerley i will get 100 feeder crays for us to use. Has anyone rung steve wilkes 0403154510 he may be able to supply canoes otherwise there are a few operaters that hire out dingys and trailers you would just have to take the motor off and row. I have a spare pair of oars if it will help. I also have a spare permit if someone wishes to change their name for the day but i will need it back as its an annual one .

Re ferals hook size his memory is worse than mine try 1/0 or no 1 or even small big mouth.

ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2006/08/14 16:55

Hey Guys I have done some research cause I see most you guys have your own canoes and yaks. So I have spoken with Steve the \"pro\" ,that Ray was talking about, and he has heaps to say.

Last week they had a bass comp in dam and not 1 fish was caught from the shore. All catches were from the water and on live shrimp. The fish are not taking SP's and lures at the moment.

He has charters running from 10am to 3pm during winter cause the water is too cold and the fish don't fire up untill the day warms up. (Merek told us that). He said we should expect to catch about 6-10 fish each.

We get our own 2 person canoe and provides everything you need including live bait and tackle, however you can bring you own outfit but if you do he said that 6lb fireline is ok but no lighter and make sure you use a trace of at least 15lb or you'll get busted off every time.

I have booked a spot with Steve for myself but told him about BRC group and that I will confirm if anyone else wants to come. I told him I would like to fish with the BRC group.The cost is $60 everything provided.

I still intend to be at the boat ramp at 6 am but will meet up with Steve at 9.45am for 10am paddle out.

Does anyone want me to book them a spot?

maybe we should be looking at a later start what does everyone think?????

re steve i cannot speak highly enough of him he is very helpfull ,tells it what its like,i have been on 3 trips with him,caught fish every time,and at 60 bucks it would have to be the cheapest charter in australia try getting mathew mott or others for under 120 bucks for 4 hours. you usually get steve for 6.

ray

Archived