sand pumping jetty nightmair

madmullet

Hey how about everyone that reads this post ring fisheries. The more complaints the more they have to act. Their phone number for the Fishwatch hotline is 1800 017 116.

i think that is a great idea!!

i was there last night with kurt and it was just sickining just walking down the jetty! the rubbish, the smell. and i dont know how many times i nearly got K.O by a hook and bait flying throw the air!

it is quite dissheartening

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well guys as planned i got down to the jetty around 8.30, and was greated by a wall of people. we did a slow walk up the jetty to have a look at what people were catching and to do a head count. we counted 178 people not inclueding us and the people just walking on the jetty arm in arm. i decide i would try and start filming but before i new it i was getting ay, what you doing, f off and one guy even approched me but i sttod my ground and he backed down. i tried filming inconspiquosly??? but with a normal camera it was very hard. so what i intead to do is by a helmat cam over the next few weeks and set it up with a torch on top so it doesnt look like a camera and approch it that way.

another way a mate of mine said to approch it was to do like a fishing report and interveiw people and ask them their techs and what they have caught ect.....

i realy dont no, i would love to think one could change the outcome and effects on situations like these, ONE CAN ONLY HOPE.

i no some of you said it could lead to baning of fishing on jetties or altogether, i dont, well hope to think that only positive things will come from this. this doco wont happen over night but with the support of the people that want to help, it will be done.

i am going to contact the fisheries later to see if their is anything i can do to help.

THANK YOU so much for your feed back guys and keep replying and qiving you point of views and help.

kurt

:(

With regard to my post this morning, I've decided to outline a few things regarding the activities of a certain few "individuals".

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Gold Coast Seaway Sand Pumping Jetty, but it's an 800m long jetty just south of the seaway entrance. As the jetty extends so far out, there is access to some decent fishing at particular times of the day or year. The jetty has two large flow pipes running along the south facing side of it for the pumping process, and various locked maintenance platforms periodically along its length for access to the joins in piping and other devices and controls. It is illegal to set foot onto the maintenance platforms for obvious reasons.

Last night, I arrived to an all too familiar sight. The jetty was lined with hundreds, and hundreds of Asians fishing. This isn't a problem. I don't care if there's 600 nations fishing on that jetty - it's not the point. Along the entire length of the jetty, they are shoulder to shoulder and amongst them are quite a number of completely inconsiderate and obnoxious individuals.

Of these individuals, many fish with as many as six or more rods - each. On some of these rods are dropper rigs with no less than 8 or 10 baited hooks. Last night I observed dozens of people undertaking this practice. Three or four of these dropper rigs will be in the water, whilst the owner continues to slay tailor after tailor after tailor after tailor - regardless of size or number. Literally anything, and I mean anything that becomes hooked on those dropper lines is promptly wound in, and goes straight into the esky. Anything at all. If it's a herring, bream, whiting, soul, flathead, dart - doesn't matter. Anything at all, no matter how big...it goes into the esky. Why? What the hell can someone do with a 14cm whiting? Someone please explain.

The individuals seem to think that they're above the rest of us, and that they have priority access to the maintenance platforms (easier casting as there is no overhead obstruction from the pipes) which they adorn with all their worldly possessions necessary to decimate an environment.

As I walked the length of the jetty last night, not one of these platforms was absent of these "individuals".

I observed two separate parties of "individuals", one party of two and one of three discard their bait packets, wrapping from whatever they were consuming and numerous soft drink cans over the edge of the jetty as they laughed and carried on with their bullshit

One of these parties of "individuals" later in the night after they had been through two 2.5kg blocks of pilchards and far, far out numbered the tailor bag limit, took it upon themselves that as I was standing about eight metres away, my gear was there for their personal supply and went about shuffling through my gear to find my bait, as I looked on. Of course, this prompted a mandatory tongue lashing fueled by my already furious temper to which they turned and promptly returned to "their' platform, dropping handfuls of my bait as they did so.

Who in God's name gives these #######s the right to go through my gear? Where the hell did these "individuals" get off thinking that rules and regulations that normal people abide by, do not apply to them? How can these "individuals" of such arrogance pay such complete and utter disrespect to what our environment has to offer?

The general norm of these "individuals" fishing for tailor seems to be just as Alex has described. The family unit will be present. One person will hold the rod and effectively catch the fish and wind it in. As he/she brings the fish to the jetty, someone else unhooks the fish and assists it with its journey to the esky while someone else baits the hook. All while this is happening, the "individual" holding the rod will have it over his/her shoulder ready for the next cast. Upon baiting the hook, the line is cast back out for another fish.

Numerous parties of these individuals obviously know they are acting illegally in regard to the fish that they take. Once the esky has a large number of fish, legal size or not, one person of the party will wheel the esky back down the jetty on a little cart to the car park and empty the fish into the car. They will then return with miraculously with an empty esky - to start the process again. I have observed this on numerous occasions at this site. What the hell does someone do with over 60 tailor? Anyone reckon they're using these fish for "personal consumption"?

On a separate occasion last year, my line had become entangled in one of these "individual's" dropper rigs, about 30m away. As I hadn't seen much of what went on at this location, I waited as he went about untangling the line - or so I thought. I wound in my line to see that he had simply cut the line, and kept my rig.

For those of you that have suggested that something be done, this is just a little insight into what I'm so furious about, and yes, something needs to be done. I'm not being racist - I don't have a problem with Asians fishing or the Asian race as a whole. I have a problem with the fact that these "individuals" seem to go out of their way to match themselves to the stereotype that we're all so familiar with. I have an even bigger problem with the fact that these people have absolutely no regard what so ever for rules, regulations or common decency towards other people.

this is the post that hains posted

I have never been there but to my mind there are several issues here that need addressing.

Who owns the sand pumping jetty and what are the conditions of the lease?

Surely the lessor has a clause in the lease re the cleaning of the jetty?

Are there bins there for people to deposit their rubbish?

Is he abiding to the conditions of the lease.

He also has a duty of care to ensure that it is safe to walk and fish there.

If there is an issue of overcrowding he needs to manage this.

Re the ignoring of bag and size limits I think that whilst phone calls to the 1800 number may have a limited effect I think that letters to the minister and ccing it to your local member ( Better still if the minister is in opposition as they delight in sticking it into the Government) is a much more effective method of obtaining a result.

The minister has to reply to your letter and he will have to pass it down the line and the more letters he receives the more likely something will be done.

This is the tactic that minority groups utilize to get results.

Posting on a forum certainly will assist to give publicly to a matter but in most cases is preaching to the converted.

The only way to bring about change is to get the politicians to get off heir fat bums.

Bligh Anna, Maria (Anna) [Hon Ms]

Premier and Minister for Reconstruction Level 15 Executive Building 100 George Street BRISBANE QLD, 4000

Postal : PO Box 15185, CITY EAST, QLD, 4002

Email : premier@ministerial.qld.gov.au (07) 3224 4500 (07) 3221 3631

Wallace Craig, Andrew (Craig) [Hon]

Minister for Main Roads, Fisheries and Marine Infrastructure Level 13 Mineral House 41 George Street BRISBANE QLD, 4000

Postal : PO Box 15456, CITY EAST QLD, 4002

Email : mainroads@ministerial.qld.gov.au

Robinson Mark, Andrew (Mark) [Dr]

Shadow Minister for Main Roads, Fisheries and marine Infrastructure 'Kramer Place' 19 Waterloo Street CLEVELAND, QLD, 4163 (07) 3286 2726 (07) 3286 5418

Cheers

Ray

Mark Robinson will certainly follow it up.

The stuff Ray mentioned is awesome.

ON A SAFETY TOPIC:

The owner or whoever charges for public access have to have some sort of public liability to ensure it is safe (same as a caravan park, swimming pool, market sales, Dreamworld etc) it is for public access afterall.

After reading many comments on this thread (and other sites), the sand pumping jetty at Southport, very much, sounds like an unsafe place to be (hooks flying around, rubbish on the floor, people willing to stab eachother over a fish caught on tangled lines etc etc). You just dont know what you're in for.

Who pays if you get stabbed, slip on rubbish and get knocked out (unconcious), or lose sight in one eye due to a gang hook being casted by a fisherman as your walking by with your wife and kids just having a look?

You have paid for entry to that site/premise - there has to be some sort of public liabilty.

ON A FISHING REGULATION TOPIC:

Many people say they have reported illegal activity from others (ie taking undersized fish, taking more than the bag limit etc from Southport Sand Pumping Jetty) and nothing has been done. Countless times, these incidents have been reported to officials to no evail.

It's kind of obvious that nothing will be done until we (fishermen/people) can make what happens on the Sand Pumping Jetty at Southport - PUBLIC. Be it - inform the govt/officials (over and over and over again until we get a reaction).... or record video/sound ourselves and get the media involved..

SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE!!!!

Cheers

Glenn

A little bit of deep breathing and count to 10 may be needed …

Firstly think back to what the crux of Kurts` topic was about…. Groups/ families etc, like the White Bucket Brigade,plundering under sized fish and taking every thing else caught.

Reading through the posts I gather that a great deal of the mess is made by these groups,and it`s mainly these groups that are to blame for the risk of someone ending up with a set of gangs in their face,head or some other body part.

So if these groups were removed or put in a position where, in public places, they had to conform with normal acceptable behavior,then most of the problem is solved.

I believe in this situation,if people do ring or send letters etc the main emphasis should be placed on the illegal taking of under sized fish, the blatant disregard of bag limits,and the mess that these groups leave behind.

If too many bring a perceived health and safety issue to an authority, in this day & age of everyone wanting to sue someone, the first thing any authority does is work out how much it will cost and how soon they can make up a No Entry & No Fishing sign.And that certainly puts a dampener on public access, and once again the majority pay the penalty for the minority.

only an opinion…

I have been past the jetty but never on it. What is the process for paying to use this jetty? Is someone manning it for payment because if there is then I would have thought they watch these people and would notify someone of whats happening.In their defence though it may be easier for them to be ignorant and safe than vigilant and risk harm.. Also with this being a public facility one would think they have a duty of care and an obligation that all laws are being followed not broken (in the same way if someone uses a public swimming pool or something similar)

If they aren't then there is surely liability there. As previous posts have suggested, anyone who uses this jetty and is familiar with what is happening there should draft letters to ministers and shadow minister and also notify local media for exposure in the same way that Rocket did with the WBB at the pumping station near NPD.The more noise that is made they wuill surely need to investigate.

This reporter used to work for Gold Coast Bulletin.

Ferle, Harvey"

He was quite helpful when I was stirring up the Hinze Alliance about the ramps at Hinze.

Might pay for one of the people who have actually been there dropped him an email as he is always looking for local stories.Better still if you can send him some photos.

Cheers

Ray

I have been past the jetty but never on it. What is the process for paying to use this jetty? Is someone manning it for payment because if there is then I would have thought they watch these people and would notify someone of whats happening.In their defence though it may be easier for them to be ignorant and safe than vigilant and risk harm.. Also with this being a public facility one would think they have a duty of care and an obligation that all laws are being followed not broken (in the same way if someone uses a public swimming pool or something similar)

If they aren't then there is surely liability there. As previous posts have suggested, anyone who uses this jetty and is familiar with what is happening there should draft letters to ministers and shadow minister and also notify local media for exposure in the same way that Rocket did with the WBB at the pumping station near NPD.The more noise that is made they wuill surely need to investigate.

yes someone is maning the jetty. i spoke to him about what was going on, he shruged his sholders and said it happens all the time. I DONT COMPLAIN CAUSE IT PAYS MY WAGES.

yep straight from the horses mouth, i just turned to him and said you sicken me, at least try and support what is write and what is wronge

This reporter used to work for Gold Coast Bulletin.

Ferle, Harvey"

He was quite helpful when I was stirring up the Hinze Alliance about the ramps at Hinze.

Might pay for one of the people who have actually been there dropped him an email as he is always looking for local stories.Better still if you can send him some photos.

Cheers

Ray

i just sent him an email.... cheers ray...

would love to see if others sent emails or not, cause if we want something down, we as the afo community might be able to change things, even if the put a perminate dpi office on the jetty kiosk to check everyone as they leave

been reading this thread for a while now.....agree with most of what's said - it's a disgrace what happens down there.

would an organised, media-covered protest be out of the question? brief the local TV stations and the Bulletin and Sun papers on what's going to happen, what time etc., then use Ausfish and AFO to stage a protest. Brief Fisheries that it's going to happen and that coverage will not be reflecting well on them and how they're (not) doing their job. Brief the cops for the same reason and to provide some order and protection. get on to the talkbalk guys, the fishing/outdoors programs on the AM stations etc. see if Creek to Coast or one of those programs will give it some coverage. it's also the kind of thing Today Tonight/ACA might be up for.

I might go to the jetty Next wed , normaly during the day there are not as many people there. I went there once at night and was too many people, and im really not a fan of fishing with big crowds, too much of a pain watching my line, and now watching my bait, altho my 2 knives are always very close to me, but thats more to cut up bait then anything else, and i hope that i will never need to use it for otherthings.

I might go to the jetty Next wed , normaly during the day there are not as many people there. I went there once at night and was too many people, and im really not a fan of fishing with big crowds, too much of a pain watching my line, and now watching my bait, altho my 2 knives are always very close to me, but thats more to cut up bait then anything else, and i hope that i will never need to use it for otherthings.

good luck with. seriuosly, good luck

Kurt, These guys do fishing reports on the Gold Coast & surrounds and ALL are keen anglers themselves, and promote fishing with an emphasis on family involvement.

Being keen fisho`s these guys may be interested in doing articles or a radio comment.

Paul Burt channel 9 Thurs,Fri & Sat nightly fishing & surf reports.

news.ninemsn.com.au/newsroom/449324/paul-burt

I think Paul Burt still runs a charter operation out on the Coast

Ken Brown www.coastwatch.com.au/Coastwatch/

Dave Downie “Nugget†does a couple of fishing shows on Fri pm,Sat am,Sunam on radio 4BC and obviously has his popular fihing website

Email nugget@nuggetfishing.com.au

Also contact with Bush n Beach magazine maybe beneficial

Bush & Beach Fishing Magazine

Editor Ben Collins: ben@bnbfishing.com.au

Kurt, These guys do fishing reports on the Gold Coast & surrounds and ALL are keen anglers themselves, and promote fishing with an emphasis on family involvement.

Being keen fisho`s these guys may be interested in doing articles or a radio comment.

Paul Burt channel 9 Thurs,Fri & Sat nightly fishing & surf reports.

news.ninemsn.com.au/newsroom/449324/paul-burt

I think Paul Burt still runs a charter operation out on the Coast

Ken Brown www.coastwatch.com.au/Coastwatch/

Dave Downie “Nugget†does a couple of fishing shows on Fri pm,Sat am,Sunam on radio 4BC and obviously has his popular fihing website

Email nugget@nuggetfishing.com.au

Also contact with Bush n Beach magazine maybe beneficial

Bush & Beach Fishing Magazine

Editor Ben Collins: ben@bnbfishing.com.au

what about QFM?? could even suss out Modern Fishing for an 'expose' kind of thing.....

here's what i've heard so far while fishing in the tailor off-season ...

- knives: been a few fights involving them which i thought were super tall fishermen tales seeing how most people go fishing to enjoy myself .. though after witness the pandemonium and frantic fishing as if lives depended on it i'd have to say its a possibility

- gaffs: gaff through feet ...

- drunken "master" fishermen: no ... this is not the drunken master you see in kung fu movies teaching drunken fist ... "master" fishermen handling your gear "showing" the right way to use your gear ... my favorite story is of a master showing a fellow fisherman how to strike when fish bite ... unfortunately with the rod still strapped to the railings :lol:

i just emailed the editor of Modern Fishing about it - email and response below. I'm happy to put him in contact with you MadMullet since I've never actually been down there......thoughts??

Hi Michael

Thanks for your email.

How would you feel if I forwarded your email to Qld fisheries, and published their response in the mag? Certainly a concern for locals in your area, but also for all Australians interested in preserving the environment and fish stocks across the country!

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards,

Nick

Nicholas Janzen

Editor – Modern Fishing magazine

50 Silverwater Rd, Silverwater NSW 2128

Sent: Wednesday, 22 June 2011 2:41 PM

To: njanzen@expresspublications.com.au

Subject: Article idea

Hi Nicholas

I’m a member of Brisbane Fishing Online (www.australianfishing.com.au) and there’s been a significant discussion lately surrounding fishing on the Sand Pumping Jetty at the Southport Spit on the Gold Coast. It mainly pertains to the scores of people (mainly foreigners) who fish using illegal techniques (up to 6 rods a person, longline style rigs, etc) and take undersize fish in quantities far over the legal bag limits for Queensland. Quite often the technique is to keep everything that is caught in an esky, then take the esky to the car and empty it into a bigger one, then come back for a refill. It’s a farce and a disgrace.

Fisheries are reluctant to enforce the rules and fine them, and when confronted by law abiding fisherman, knives are typically pulled by the culprits (there have been numerous assaults and stabbings at this spot).

Anyway, that’s the background. I know Modern Fishing isn’t normally the avenue to tackle this kind of thing, but is it something that you would be interested in as a special report? You don’t’ require a license to fish saltwater in QLD and the rules just aren’t being enforced by fisheries. I understand it’s probably precarious ground as most of the culprits are Asian – no racism intended in it, that’s just the way it is.

What do you think?

Cheers

Michael

i just emailed the editor of Modern Fishing about it - email and response below. I'm happy to put him in contact with you MadMullet since I've never actually been down there......thoughts??

Hi Michael

Thanks for your email.

How would you feel if I forwarded your email to Qld fisheries, and published their response in the mag? Certainly a concern for locals in your area, but also for all Australians interested in preserving the environment and fish stocks across the country!

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards,

Nick

Nicholas Janzen

Editor – Modern Fishing magazine

50 Silverwater Rd, Silverwater NSW 2128

Sent: Wednesday, 22 June 2011 2:41 PM

To: njanzen@expresspublications.com.au

Subject: Article idea

Hi Nicholas

I’m a member of Brisbane Fishing Online (www.australianfishing.com.au) and there’s been a significant discussion lately surrounding fishing on the Sand Pumping Jetty at the Southport Spit on the Gold Coast. It mainly pertains to the scores of people (mainly foreigners) who fish using illegal techniques (up to 6 rods a person, longline style rigs, etc) and take undersize fish in quantities far over the legal bag limits for Queensland. Quite often the technique is to keep everything that is caught in an esky, then take the esky to the car and empty it into a bigger one, then come back for a refill. It’s a farce and a disgrace.

Fisheries are reluctant to enforce the rules and fine them, and when confronted by law abiding fisherman, knives are typically pulled by the culprits (there have been numerous assaults and stabbings at this spot).

Anyway, that’s the background. I know Modern Fishing isn’t normally the avenue to tackle this kind of thing, but is it something that you would be interested in as a special report? You don’t’ require a license to fish saltwater in QLD and the rules just aren’t being enforced by fisheries. I understand it’s probably precarious ground as most of the culprits are Asian – no racism intended in it, that’s just the way it is.

What do you think?

Cheers

Michael

nice.. good work. this is going better then i thort, the more people that jump up and down the better.

guys and girls, come on show your support and post what you email to the party of your choice...

thanks once again kurt

I have a nice lense on my camera that could probley see the nuts on a fly, I might take a few shots on next wed, I will be too far away for them to see me, or do anything, but hopefully i can see what they are doing and get some good shots.

hey bud,

Wasn't able to take the camera the other night the missus was pretty anti me getting involved to that degree :( I'm also a member of Ausfish, and have raised the concerns on a post that seems to be generating alot of interest/feedback, from other "Fisho's", who feel the same way :woohoo: I've also invited them to view the AFO, web, to get a better understanding of the severity, and willingness of others to do something about it.. Good on you Kurt for emailing Nugget and Ben... There are other fishing clubs that I am involved with that I am also looking at bringing to the party ;) The more voices, heard, the louder the noise made :cheer:

Just sent this to the minister, his email is mainroads@ministerial.qld.gov.au.

"Dear Hon Craig Wallace,

I am writing to voice concerns regarding illegal fishing activity on the

Southport Sand Pumping Jetty. As a member of a very popular Brisbane Fishing

website, Brisbane Fishing Online, myself and many others on this forum have

concerns regarding the activity that is occuring on a daily basis at the

above mentioned site, and the apparant lack of any action by your department.

Myself, and many others have witnessed illegal fishing by many people using

techniques such as 6 rods per person with longline rigs and so on. In

addition to this everything that is caught, be it undersized, protected etc,

is placed into and esky, and often this full esky is taken to the car,

unloaded into another esky and the culprits return to the jetty for a refill.

As a sustainable fisherman, who sticks to the rules, this behaviour and the

lack of action by the Dept of Fisheries is a farce. In addition to this I

have heard that people who approach the individuals indulging in the

behaviour describerd above have been threatened with knives.

Currently, many members of AFO, and Ausfish Australia are not only contacting

ministers from both sides of the house, but also fishing magazines, and

current affair programs.

I would appreciate your intervention on this issue, and invite you to tour

the jetty with either myself, or other members of the AFO online community so

you may view the behaviour for yourself.

Many thanks"

A little bit of deep breathing and count to 10 may be needed....

I believe in this situation,if people do ring or send letters etc the main emphasis should be placed on the illegal taking of under sized fish, the blatant disregard of bag limits,and the mess that these groups leave behind.....

only an opinion…

Fellas I applaud the response of those who have started to contact government and opposition members of parliament and media/fishing commentary outlets.

I would suggest strongly that unless you have witnessed first hand or know someone who has been knived or know for certain that official reports of stabbings has been made,I would leave making a statement about stabbings out of your correspondence especially with contact to members of parliament.

:)

I would have thought that the kiosk operator/owner would be the first to be reporting this type of thing or even banning people.

If the problem gets bad enough(sounds like it has) there is a good possibility that the jetty will be closed and he will be out of a job

Hey Kurt

I have a tiny GoPro movie camera here if you want to borrow it.

I dont know how effective it will be at night unless you can use it under a light somewhere but def worth a try.

A 10 mm hole in the end of an old cheap tackle box will be pefect.

Point the box and film away and it also records sound so any conversations or arguments with be recorded as well.

Hey Kurt

I have a tiny GoPro movie camera here if you want to borrow it.

I dont know how effective it will be at night unless you can use it under a light somewhere but def worth a try.

A 10 mm hole in the end of an old cheap tackle box will be pefect.

Point the box and film away and it also records sound so any conversations or arguments with be recorded as well.

cheers matew that will be great.

Just sent this to the minister, his email is mainroads@ministerial.qld.gov.au.

"Dear Hon Craig Wallace,

I am writing to voice concerns regarding illegal fishing activity on the

Southport Sand Pumping Jetty. As a member of a very popular Brisbane Fishing

website, Brisbane Fishing Online, myself and many others on this forum have

concerns regarding the activity that is occuring on a daily basis at the

above mentioned site, and the apparant lack of any action by your department.

Myself, and many others have witnessed illegal fishing by many people using

techniques such as 6 rods per person with longline rigs and so on. In

addition to this everything that is caught, be it undersized, protected etc,

is placed into and esky, and often this full esky is taken to the car,

unloaded into another esky and the culprits return to the jetty for a refill.

As a sustainable fisherman, who sticks to the rules, this behaviour and the

lack of action by the Dept of Fisheries is a farce. In addition to this I

have heard that people who approach the individuals indulging in the

behaviour describerd above have been threatened with knives.

Currently, many members of AFO, and Ausfish Australia are not only contacting

ministers from both sides of the house, but also fishing magazines, and

current affair programs.

I would appreciate your intervention on this issue, and invite you to tour

the jetty with either myself, or other members of the AFO online community so

you may view the behaviour for yourself.

Many thanks"

very good stuff mate

Archived