barra boat setup

kriso

hey guys,

if you've read the awoonga setup you will know im going, prob is need info on what rod and reel type should i use in hope of landing a barra, will be mainly trolling lures.

cheers

p.s dont have a massive wallet so while i would love some of the expensive gear i cant afford it so cheap but decent brand suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers:)

If you can stretch to it get an overhead baitcaster with a stiff 6-7 foot rod like an ugly stick or something cheaper but similar. If you're trolling then it doesn't matter if you can't cast it and you can use your thumb to choke the line to pull fish out of the snaggs. Haven't been barra fishing in years but that's the sort of gear I used to use and it's what a lot of guys up north play with.

Krisko, The main thing is you need some 20 to 30lb braid, some halco crazy deeps (8m plus units) and a stiffish rod, 6 to 8kilo.

Last year I used a surf rod and an Alvey with 35lb mono for trolling,got some wierd looks, but if something had bothered to take the lure, I reckon it would have been up to it. The reality is if your using a 50lb flouro leader, I dont think it matters a toss if your main line is mono while trolling. Mind you there are not to many eggbeaters around than can take much 35lb mono on the spool! This year I may take my shark fishing rig I bought for the classic to troll with, 30 kilo 5 foot Ebay Rod, 6000 series (10BB) Ebay eggbeater loaded with 35lb mono. I'll just winch any fish in.

For casting last year I used a no name 4000 series eggbeater with 30lb braid on a no name 6kilo 6foot rod I borrowed from Ray. Alex had the same.

Ferg ran with a little shimano baitcaster, on a diawa 4 kilo rod for everything, and caught a metre plus barra, albeit we had to follow him down the river until he wore it out!

I got a Barra of a similar size at Callide, but after playing it until it was buggered, I let the young fella have the rod, and it made one last run and put him around an underwater snag and he lost it, but the gear was more than up to it. This year I will be using my 3000 series no name Ebay eggbeater loaded with 30lb spiderwire, on a 4-6 kilo Kmart rod.

Ray caught a 1.3m barra last year on a 6 kilo Loomis, with a calcutta baitcaster loaded with 30lb braid.

You only really need top end stump pulling power when fishing in snags and timber, which Awoonga does not have much of. All you need is patience, and to play the fish for long enough.

Well, I've been reading up on bait casters as I just bought one, the perfect for what your doing that I can find is either a Daiwa zillion(not tooo expensive on ebay(2nd hand even cheaper)) and the shimano chronarch. They can both be found for reasonable prices on ebay but Still I don't know if your willing to spend that much.

Sorry don't know much about the rods.

Kriso - I took and bought heaps of stuff and hardly used any of it. So don't do what I did unless you want to waste a stack of dosh.

I got 1 barra on a $99 Penn 220 combo overhead boat rod while trolling a $12.00 halco crazy deep while the $500 rod and reel with the $30 lure didn't get a touch in a week.

If I was you I would grab one of those Penns overheads and put 50lb braid on it. Then I would beef up the egg beater that you have with 30-40 lb braid. Then stop!

That'll do you.

The penn I speak off will be very handy next shark season, not to mention snapper and other bottom bashing stuff now.

This is the set up I got for Awoonga. It's a Penn Pinpoint 12kg rod with a Penn Jack Erskin Reel. It casts really well and coast me about $200 all up. This set up was suggested by one of the guys on www.sweetwaterishing.com.au

somewhere on there they have an article called \"setting up for barra\"

[img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/29-4a4910ae794ddfbdb80026176c36cd27.jpg

post-458-144598418026_thumb.jpg

as the boys say load it with braid and use your hand to cup the spool for that bit of extra drag also being in the auto trade disassemble your reel and any plastic bushes instead of bearings can be easily replaced with bearings to make a reel:sick: whinch out of it ive done this on a pair of old egg beaters and god what a difference enjoy:)

kriso wrote:

okay i have penn power graph 7000 can hold

25lb-190yds / .50mm -174m with multi disc drag? sufficent on insufficent that is the question!

Sorry Kriso that's not the question when it comes to Awoonga Barra. Can you stop the fish before it gets to the snag country is the real question.

In the open bay - I would say no problems, just don't let the barra dive on you, (they don't do that very often)

In the Timber do what faulked says and be ready to hand grab the spool no matter what drag washers you got. It'll come down to locked drag and line strength to pull em out of the trees, that's if you do get one on cast and retrieve.

Archived