Any Sharks in the river?

Liquor Box

Has anyone seen a shark lately?

It is probably too cold for them but I am currently trying to get together some gear for the warmer months and was just hoping to try it out!

Has anyone got some tips on what gear to look out for on Ebay over the next few months?

What size hooks, lines, sinkers, floats, swivels, leaders etc

All halp is appreciated, Thanks

I am looking at the game reels from Japan- they sell for around $7.99! plus $40 postage:angry:

/>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CZH60-3BB-Bait-Casting-Trolling-Sea-Fishing-Reel_W0QQitemZ160128028445QQihZ006QQcategoryZ36163QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This seems good for around $50

Does anyone have any idea about the quality of those game reels that liquor box mentioned. they look alright and for $50 i want to get one, but for that price something must be dodgey? like rusting parts or something.

\"If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.\"

Cheers, Joel ;)

Post edited by: obone, at: 2007/06/20 10:00

I Bought one of those game reels months ago off n Australian seller. It is much smaller than i thought it would be, like the size of a normal baitcaster reel... not the big game that I was after.

As for quality, it seems fine, very smooth but i am yet to buy a rod for it to go on and use it. It would be far too small for the $16 rod liquor box is looking at

got this reel today-
/>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Saratoga-J60-Surf-Boat-Trolling-Game-Fishing-Reel_W0QQitemZ220124321920QQihZ012QQcategoryZ36163QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

now I have the reel and Rod, what type of line should i look at? I was thinking 20-30lb.

What do you guys recomend for bull sharks?

I will also need hooks and leaders.

With hooks i am a bit confused, some people recomend circle hooks and some dont! Which is best?

Smaller sharks you cant go past Mustad Live Bait or similar in 8/0's. About $3 or $4 a packet at Big W. Going a bit bigger you can get some good 10/0 to 12/0 on ebay.

Here is one that sells ok hooks, had another one I have bought quite a few from, but his prices have gone through the roof, so wont bother listing him.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Escapin-Tackle

Seen little bulls upto 5 foot jumping around the mouth of the river over the last few weeks and up as far as the sunken wall,

As for cirlce hooks, im yet to be convinced- i had 5 snapper swallow them straight into there guts with baby squid as bait , the hook didnt have time to get caught near the edge of their mouths..

As for catching sharks, are you guys compensating for something?? :whistle:

Yep, 1 little river bully can easy feed 6+ people.. seems like pretty good compensation to me, as opposed to having to catch a bucket full of smaller fish... and that's without mentioning things like, no bones and no scales B)

Post edited by: AlsHilux, at: 2007/06/26 19:16

Liquor Box wrote:

got this reel today-
/>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Saratoga-J60-Surf-Boat-Trolling-Game-Fishing-Reel_W0QQitemZ220124321920QQihZ012QQcategoryZ36163QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

now I have the reel and Rod, what type of line should i look at? I was thinking 20-30lb.

What do you guys recomend for bull sharks?

I will also need hooks and leaders.

With hooks i am a bit confused, some people recomend circle hooks and some dont! Which is best?

The reel arrived today, looks great, now i just need to find line!

What size should i look at? I was thinking between 30-50lb to match the rod

Go with Cowfish's advice. 50lb is too heavy for the river. Unless you're planning on a double hookup on the one line.:P

Use a lighter main line and a heavier leader.

How long's you're wire going to be ?

Whatever it is, add a heavy mono leader to the wire so that combined they will be longer than the fish you are targeting. Not that I've fished in the river for sharks, but from reading the threads, a total length of 2 metres should be more than enough.

There get's a point where the reels drag will bust if the line is too strong.

Cheers

Archived