Guess How Big This Bass Is..............?

Angus

I braved the winter chill and headed out to Pine Dam this AM and I met up with my old fishin bud and his grandson.

It was worth it as we found the school I hooked into on Thursday. If it was not the same school it was just as good.

I caught 38 my mate 25 and his grandson 15.

I got the majority on plastics(thanx plastic man and Stu) and the rest on G Vibes. i caught a lot on a dark purple plastic but I reckon they would of bitten on the end of my finger.

Had a visit from the DPI and the rangers which was fine.

The biggest was a 51.5 but there was a couple of near 50's.

All in all it was a hell of a lot of fun. [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Fish_012.jpg

post-1453-144598419349_thumb.jpg

I have heard from a lot of people that Niel Schultz likes to talk things up a bit so I wouldn't beleive anything said until I see it on a ruler. Surely if he's made a big deal about it he must have said it's a '60+', or close to it anyway.

And a Bass close to or over 60cm would never ever be put back without a picture on a ruler or brag mat. Until I see one of those pictures it only breaches the 50cm mark in my books.

I would say it's just one of those pictures of a fish that looks much bigger in the photo then its acctual size.

Troy

blue_mako wrote:

I have heard from a lot of people that Niel Schultz likes to talk things up a bit so I wouldn't beleive anything said until I see it on a ruler. Surely if he's made a big deal about it he must have said it's a '60+', or close to it anyway.

And a Bass close to or over 60cm would never ever be put back without a picture on a ruler or brag mat. Until I see one of those pictures it only breaches the 50cm mark in my books.

I would say it's just one of those pictures of a fish that looks much bigger in the photo then its acctual size.

Troy

neil schultz has been fishing for big bass before you probably started fishing and has always done well so i see no need for you to be saying these thing about him and angus brought it up so i dont think he was making a big deal about it

Post edited by: Plastic Man, at: 2007/06/30 16:55

with all the talk of the 60cm its time the brag mat came out, nobody can produce one from north pine at this time and now we are onto somerset. i think its highly likely given the science that goes into making these fish, every now and then a freak will occur in stocked populations.

blue_mako wrote:

Troy

Firstly people, i will post the measurement up as soon as i get it.

Secondly, Troy i never said he made a big deal of it, this was meant to be for a bit of fun.

Angus

Ok and the results are in.

The fish was 58cm.

Also interestingly enough, despite fishing for big bass for many many years, Neil Shultz says he has never caught, nor seen photographic proof of a 60cm + being caught.

As mackmauler said, im sure there would be freaks of nature out there, but there it is.

Neil says, and i agree that fish over 55cm are fish to be remembered.

Cheers to those that took this little game in good fun.

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/07/02 08:47

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/07/02 10:52

I wouldn't be surprised if this fish ended up being a fair whack smaller than what people think.

It does look pretty big in the photo, but the photo doesn't look exactly standard, old mate seems to be holding the fish out in front of his body a fair way which will give the impression of a larger fish in comparison to the man.

Take this into account also when using the lure for comparison as it is actually leaning over his shoulder making it seem perspectively smaller.

One last thing is that you cannot see his hands at all, apart from the tip of one finger which makes it hard to determine perspective....

Anyway, that's my view from what I know about photography...

still a bloody nice lookin fish.

In all the years I have been fishing I have never witnessed a 60 caught but I have seen a piccie of a 64cm (or claim to be) that was caught below the wall at the PD when the water went over several years ago.

I have also seen a piccie of a 60cm bass in one of the fishing magazines caught by Dave Seaman from NSW.

In 5 years of fishing out of boats at the top of NPD noone recorded a 60cm but several claimed they caught fish in the late 50's. But it is only claim until its proved.

After having 2 good days out at the dam namely 22 Thursday and 38 Saturday, Monday I came back to earth with a kerthumpppp and recorded a big fat zero fish and a even bigger zero bites.

I will keep on looking for those schools.

Keep on Fishin

Dino

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/07/03 08:46

Hahaha yeah i know let down.

But Neil raises a good issue. Photo's are really hard to go by unless a measurement tool is used.

Keep dreaming everyone.

But in all seriousness, if they grow to 58, there must be a freak 2cm bigger out there somewhere.

However i will not believe any reports until i see it :) There is probably some old timer out there though cleaning up on who would never waste money of contraptions such as a brag matt or digi camera :P

If I pulled that in the boat I would be calling it a silver bream and telling all my mates about it.

You think thats a crack up, wait till you see me fish Somerset at the end of the month. I am going to hit someone up soon for a list of what I need to fish fresh water...successfully!

Plastic Man wrote:

bootyinblue wrote:
Can I show my total ignorance of fresh water fishing by saying I thought it was a bream!

Whoops.... I would be happy with a 58cm bream though too.

58cm bream i would be more then happy i would be in love with it

bloody oath 58 breambo would be sweet :)

Archived