Same-sex marriage

ellicat

Same-sex Marriage  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Same-sex Marriage

• For
    • Against
    • Whatever

I think we may be missing the sub-text here.

ECat if you've found a man that you love and that loves you, you don't need anyone's approval just do what feels right. :woohoo:

Shhhh,

It's a toss up between

[attachment=43699]soo2011aCapture.JPG[/attachment]

and the twins

[attachment=43700]SideshowClown1.jpg[/attachment]

Nice report ;) Liked the Pics :blush:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was under the impression that marriage is a christian church thing therefore its up to them who they want to let play there game personally i dont want their church their antiquted rules or anything else from them and i cnt see why a gay person would either as the christian church has never done much for gay rights its tottally disgusting that gays dont get the same go in the eyes of the law this must be put down to the strangle hold the churchs have on our law making process .

i guess if your gay and still want the bit of paper to make your life complete "just like my wife did" you should most certainly be allowed to have a civil service performed by a non priest thus getting around the religous aspect and still have the people that do actually care about you show up and cellibrate your lives together .

its a shame so much intollerance has come about from one societys need to reproduce too out man any opposing organisation .

jason

ps does anyone have any idea how the muslim church is around gays

ps does anyone have any idea how the muslim church is around gays

Yeah they stone them and I don't mean weed.

Don't know if its true but I read somewhere that islam forbids homosexual beastiality, but if the goat is a female its all good.

Not to open another can of worms but I think this is a bit generalised :P

Most Muslims I know are liberal assimilated people. Good people good values and good ethics. Same with most Homosexuals I know.

With the above being said my stand point on this is the same as it has always been. Whether its religion, sexual preferance or whatever I dont care what you do if you dont push it on me. Every door knocking Mormon gives me more grief than the average Gay person.

This doesnt answer the topic though. I probably dont agree with a "religious" marriage (or at least one from a religion that openly scorns Gay people). I also cant understand why a gay couple would want to be part of a parish that doesnt want them anyway though, it sort of smacks of "look at us we are gay" which I dont like.

In regards to a legal ceremony or even tolerant relgious ceremony... Whatever makes them happy.

Angus

No surprise about the young fellas. My oldest bloke is testosterone plus and 16.5 years old. He has a passionate dislike of gays. He didn't get it from tolerant old me, although I think I was the same at his age. I reckon you get wiser and more tolerant with experience and age and feel less threatened by the unknown.

Like tiotony I can't stand seeing 2 blokes kissing. It just makes me crook. :sick: I still haven't gotten over seeing the Crying Game either. :lol:

I think a lot of young men are relatively homophobic at that age up until probably 25. During this period your sexual orientation is probably not totally set. It is a period of discovery for most and confusing emotions. They are bombarded with norms, prejudices and pier pressures. A very difficult time for kids and the last thing they want to do is stand out. This is the very reason that a lot of people do not come out at a young age. As you mature you realize it really does not matter what other people think.

I hope people did not mistake my previous post. I am not against the acknowledgement of a union. Let me note as well that I am a aggressive agnostic as well. I think Marriage is an outdated practice and most cases does not mean anything. ( having had a cheating Wife who was proported to be Religious) It should be limited to the people that believe in religion as this is where its roots are. Let the bible bashes and happy clappers have it. For the rest of the community let them do something else if we feel we need a piece of paper to tell the world we are together. At the end of the day it does not give use anymore legal rights.

For me I do not understand the debate. Why is it such an issue given my beliefs? Are we not excepted if we can not get married? I think this has become a focal point for people and I am not sure how many folks would run down the Isle after it was legalized. I think it is just the principle of it. If a religious person can swear before their God that they are will not cheat and for better and worse (what a crock of poo) and have a failed marriage then it is redundant. Change the laws in Australia that Only Happy clappers can get married and the rest of us have civil unions which really is the case if you are not religious and getting married in the eyes of god (haha). As I said an aggressive agnostic. Anyway this is my to bobs worth.

Good to see a pretty well balanced discussion here (although I'm sure e-cat may have had some editing to do over the weekend - you're own fault buddy. You started it :D)

Is it just the word "marriage" that everyone is getting the assless chaps in a twist about?? The fact the they don't want same sex people to be able to claim the word "married"??

I didn't realise that the word marriage has so much to do with christianity. What do the muslims, buddhists or athiests of the world call it??

Ultimately, let them go at it.

When you genuinely measure up the pro's and cons of letting them go for it, there aren't too many genuine cons. Other than personally (like a few here) I still squirm a little a seeing 2 guys get their mac on, I can think of no negative to allowing them to do their nuptials.

And the young ones that are completeley against it...I'd generally found were private school kids. Just an observation from when I was that age.

Good to see a pretty well balanced discussion here (although I'm sure e-cat may have had some editing to do over the weekend - you're own fault buddy. You started it :D)

Seriously, I just started the thread to tell the opening joke. Then I discovered some pent up opinions were coming out so I did the poll thing and off it went. I have kept a close watch on it but haven;t had to edit anything yet.

Good to see AFO can have such a divisive topic discussed, opinions shared and not have the thread go off the rails.

Well done guys. :)

Labour Governemnt conscience vote. ROFL. What a joke.

Look at us it not a party view point, we all have different opinions.

But hey look what we accomplished if the law gets Passed.

Just another diversion from the big topics they are going to get crucified over.

Like the HUGE pay rise they gave themselves :angry:

As far as the same-sex marriage goes I think they should have the right if they want to.

marrage predates the religions that use it today. It was picked up by religions along the way and they added things like u need witnesses and that it has to be in the eyes of a god talking person. Cant remember where i heard it lately, it was either Dr Karl on JJJ or one of the Hacks from within the last week or so. all can be podcast

Well my two bob is, as it stands its not only a christians that get married but it has been through until latter days a christian instatution for some time, perhaps gay folks are trying to get the acceptence they are after all the way through society including churches, this doesnt make sense to me as you would think the whole God made adam and eve not adam and steve might turn them off a bit.

The more concerning thing for me are the stats that say that a man who starts his homosexual life at the age of 15 will average 500 partners in his life time. Now women are more descerning, they can say no to sex for emotional reasons or headaches but men seem much more driven by it. You allow Gay marriage with those stats and divorce courts will be full of this. Gay men and women argue that hetrosexual stats are around 37 percent in australia for divorce, fair enough, but then add them adopting children as we know two men are only able to create a mess while trying to create babies :P and the social impact of children growing up without a mother or father is already felt in the comunity, now break up with two dads or two mums... you cant tell me this isnt going to mess kids up..

The media is creating a massive event out of i, as if it is like racism, its not, Gay people are not being stolen from africa and forced to work for cruel bosses... haha.. We are told that we must decide now, but like most media crap, we dont, we can take our time to work out what we think is best for our country.. or can we... while backflipping politicians are more concerned about galaxy polls run by newspapers and approval ratings than working for the people, this is fueled by a dumbed down society who also buys into the whole thing too.. "oh tony abott did this today" or "Juilia said that" its all smoke and mirrors, dont people realise that our tax dollors pay for spin doctors on both sides of the fence to turn normal facts about everything into sensational stories that they feed to us.. I say we need a BIT OF A REVOLUTION in our own country and get some leaders with common sense and level heads.. anyway...

This doesnt phase me, i dont see a problem with same-sex marriage......its about time people start moving with the times :side:

In saying this im married to a great girl :)

These are my thoughts anyway.

Cheers

Darren

Totally for it, not letting people who love each other and want to make a commitment to each other have the same rights in society is discrimination pure and simple. There are many things that same sex couples do not enjoy that hetero couples enjoy such as medicare safety net (total accumulation before reimbursement), Next of kin rights, and in addition to this as quoted from the Australian Human rights commission website:

"Same-sex couples and families get fewer leave entitlements, less workers’ compensation, fewer tax concessions, fewer veterans’ entitlements, fewer health care subsidies, less superannuation and pay more for residential aged care than opposite-sex couples in the same circumstances.

Same-sex couples are denied these basic financial and work-related entitlements because they are excluded from the definitions describing a couple in all the federal laws in Appendix 1. Federal law after federal law defines a ‘partner’ or a ‘member of a couple’ or a ‘spouse’ or a ‘de facto spouse’ as a person of the opposite sex."

Same-Sex Reforms

/>http://www.ag.gov.au/samesexreform

Overview of the Australian Government’s Same-Sex Law Reforms

The Australian Government believes that people are entitled to respect, dignity and the opportunity to participate in society and receive the protection of the law regardless of their sexuality.

Following the Australian Human Rights Commission’s report, Same-Sex: Same Entitlements and an audit of Commonwealth legislation, the Australian Government introduced reforms to remove discrimination to enable same-sex couples and their children to be recognised by Commonwealth law.

The reforms aim to ensure that same-sex couples and their families are recognised and have the same entitlements as opposite-sex de facto couples.

As a result of ensuring that same-sex couples receive the same treatment as opposite-sex de facto couples, the reforms may also impose burdens on some same-sex couples or reduce certain benefits they currently receive.

It is the Government’s view that these reforms are necessary and an essential step towards a fairer and more just society.

The reforms amend 85 Commonwealth laws to eliminate discrimination against same sex couples and their children in a wide range of areas, including social security, taxation, Medicare, veteran’s affairs, workers’ compensation, educational assistance, superannuation, family law and child support.

The reforms have a significant impact in the following areas:

• Tax

• Superannuation

• Defined Benefits Superannuation

• Social Security and Family Assistance

• PBS Safety Net and the Medicare Safety Net

• Aged Care

• Child Support

• Immigration

• Citizenship

• Veterans’ Affairs

Most things have a recognised opposite eg: night / day, black / white, male / female, Creation / Evolution, heterosexual / homosexual etc etc …

So with each, an opposite, you obviously have a difference, and with that difference you have defining terminology for that factual difference.

Long before Moses and his brother Aaron were head coach and asst. coach of the Hebrew Exodus, playing in the Wilderness Competition, the words marriage and married have been the defining words given to a formal agreement between a man and a woman to live together according to the customs of their religion or society.

Oxford dictionary: Marriage = legal union of a man and a woman for cohabitation and procreation… Procreation = beget (offspring) by the natural process of sexual intercourse.

I believe that same sex relationships face different challenges and are subject to different experiences, than heterosexual relationships.

I believe that a same sex relationship should have its own legislated, recognised terminology and ranking along side a heterosexual marriage

• 4 months later...

Archived