Moon fish?

Ash

Looked in the local fish shop yesterday and they had Moon fish fillets for sale. I asked the girl behind the counter what sort of fish that was, and she advised \"moon fish\", obviously she was employed for her shrp wit and cust skilld!:pinch:

What is a Moon fish? Mate of mine from down south said maybe jewie? Any one know?

Basa :P

Na mate i dont know. However any fish like that im suss of. You would think if there were enough of them to commercially fish we would recognise the name. In saying that ill prob get sledged now by 10 people who know what teh are :)

Angus

from what i have seen...the moon fish that is sold in shops is the first pic gazza put up ( the one with red fins)..it has been on \"the great south east\" with some chef cooking them up..the second fish is a sunfish..they are really really big!..i have seen a pod of them swimming in single file out off cape moreton a few years back...awesome to see....and there is a sunfish in the museum in brissy..shows ya how big they really are....and i think they are really prone to dying in shark nets too:( ...i dont think they are eaten much if at all....

moonfish is long lined for in the same manner as tuna or swordfish- it's a potentially very destructive fishing practice and should be discouraged. moon fish are also called opah or omah, dutch for grandmother or grandfather but most of the world's supply comes from near hawaii. it's a very meaty fish to eat- not really very nice at all, according to the customers at brett's wharf. we get it in irregularly as a gimmick- it's supposed to mean wealth to the fisherman that catches one in his nets.

there are a couple of other critters that are known as moon fish, one is thr razor trevally, not a very big fish so i doubt you'd find fillets in a shop. the other is a type of freshwater eel tailed catfish properly called the straight backed catfish.....they like farming catfish in asia....angus' call of basa might not be far wrong.:sick:

Feral wrote:

I thought those things grew to about 8 foot across!

the sunfish do feral and weigh up to 2 tons, they get blamed for boats disapearing at sea. they lie flat on the surface and if you hit one at full noise the whole bottom of your boat gets torn off

Hey guys...don't hold me to this but moonfish is a native of south america. I ate it over there and is great tucker. Anyway have also eaten it here and is very nice..similar to swordfish I reckon. Give it a go it really is a nice eating fish.

yea roobs is right with the opah thing, we sell it at work and its resonibly cheap (spot on 20 buks a kilo) which may suggest it is some sort of catfish as jeff said. this wouldnt suprise me, as we have about half a dozen different types of cod fillets from vietnam and china, and id be suprised if any of them were cod at all! the moon fish and rays bream are our two biggest sellers

Archived