I'll Be Dammed (Pine Dammed)

Dinodadog

I feel like a dog with 3 old fellas. I do not know which one to play with first.

Plastics gvibes or slugs. Not bad for someone set into spinnerbaits and jackals.

Thanx to this site I have found out you really can teach an old dog new tricks. While on the subject of this site a big congratulations has to go to the blokes who tirelessly look after and administer this site.

Back to fishin.

Decided to follow Troy's secret weapon (the slug) this AM and WOW I found the school of fish again and recorded another PB of 74 Bass. All legal.Nothing huge but a ton of fun to reel in. And all this in 4 hours. 6am til 10am. I went home to a comfy bed for my nap. (Troy)

Got the first 20 on green with black stripe gvibe deep, the next 30 on assorted plastics (and I mean assorted)(I did not realise what an assortment I had in the shed)

The remaining 24 on a purple river to sea slug.(Thanx Troy for the slug tip) So as you can see my new PB can be attributed to like minded people sharing their ideas and experiences.

When I left they were still biting ready to latch onto anything. I forgot to mention my mate got 54 a new PB for him.

Go AFO

Dino

128 combined thats awesome dennis congrats on the new pb I think I will have to give it a go again soon myself some good numbers of fish being caught.It definitely fishes well in Winter

Post edited by: STU, at: 2007/07/11 15:52

A oval solid cylinder. Or metal fish shape or with fish markings. Good size is 25g. You can get distance with that size. Approximate price $4 to $6. Purple worked for me today. Cant remember what colour Troy used yesterday. Get out there Brian they are a waiting you.

Well done again Dino...geez after your record haul on saturday and again today I really feel like a klutz!!

did you get them at your usual spot?

I threw everything in the tacklebox at em at forgans on saturday and didnt get a scale. Walked away very disconsolate.

Beautiful day today, I might give it another go tommorow if it looks the same.

cheers

Yeah Mojo

They turned up again at that spot. Ya got get out deep and find them. Somedays the school is only about 10 feet in diameter which makes them harder to find and other days there seems to be lots of schools.

Would others agree with that observation.

Cheers

Dino

Great effort Dino, it's all the slugs I swear :P . We should start a half centrury club :silly: .

I began with a Gillies 25g in Pilchard colour and changed the crapy hook that comes with it to an Owner Stinger in size 6 for better hook up rates. I had used the same slug on Mackeral at Straddie over the holidays. It wasn't all that blue any more and by the end of the Bass mission is was down to the lead in most places with no eyes left and 1 hook point had been snapped off with the other 2 hooks still sharp and solid. This is obvious as I lost it on a snag just after fish number 28 :P .

After that the rest of them upto 63 were caught on a Surecatch 20g with a yellow/green sticker pattern again with the hooks changed to Owners.

I really don't think it matters about colours, even my shineless Gillie was still catching them. Though if I had to choose one I'd choose either a chrome silver with a hint of some red or pink as red/pink is the colour of distress. Or chrome silver with a goldy green sticker pattern as it looks more like a Gar or Boney Bream. Also I'm sure they would have no problems taking pto a 40g slug, just check the casting weight on your rod first ;) .

Forgot to mention in the report that the Boney Bream have been thick as around the wall at the moment. It seems as though it's the same principle as Barra. The wind pushes the micro organisms into the bays and arms and the bait fish follow them. Then the birds and Bass aren't far behind them. Tim and Nelson would have seen the Boneies going crazy in the arm we were fishing next to during the wind ;) .

As for retreives I was just lifting slowly and letting it drop making sure that the slack line is picked up and tight to the rod tip as it sinks, that stops it from sinking like a brick as it would normally if you had slack line. It also makes it easier for the fish to pick it up on the drop as about 3/4 of the ones I caught were. Some were also caught on the wind in, but I would say it wasn't the same retreive as if you were fishing for Macks and Tuna.

The way they hit it was surprisingly different to what I expected, not just smashing it and running, but just little taps as if you were using a plastic, similar to that of Gar Fish picking at your braid as it floats on the surface.

Troy

Archived