G'day from Glasgow

brisbanebound

How you all doing!

Moving to Brissy next year with my Kiwi wife.

When we arrive we will have to be renting within reasonable distance of the CBD for work etc until we are more settled.

My question is folks is the fishing good all down the river? What type of fish can you chatch say 3 - 10Km's outside the CBD district?

Im having day dreams of taking a 10 min stroll from my house down to the riverbank and catching flathead and my old favourite, snapper? or am i being a bit too romantic?

Anyway, any advice much appreciated

Take it easy

Jamie

brisbanebound wrote:

Cheers Stu

Albion looks the best place to keep the missus happy as well.

Is that a Saratoga?? your holding, excuse the spelling.

I kept cathing them when I was Barramundi fishing in Darwin a few years ago. Do you get them in the river as well?

Cheers

i wish you could get them in the river mate you will have to go a bit north of brisbane to get a toga up in one of the dams also welcome to the site mate

Post edited by: Plastic Man, at: 2007/07/27 06:47

Close to Albion mate you have Breakfast cree, and the camerons rocks stretch.

Fish that have been caught land based here lately include:

Bream

Flatties

Squire (Smaller snapper)

Trevally

Threadfin Salmon

Shakrs

Estuary Cod

Grunter Bream

And Catfish!

One thing you will become well aqqainted with when the fishing the Brissy is Catfish. But dont worry, on lite gear i think these are a lot of fun.

Welcome aboard mate and look forward to having you here.

Angus

Cheers lads

I take it the Threadfin Salmon are the bigger variety that are rotten to eat? Caught a couple of them over in WA when I was there.

Wish I had digital images of the fish I caught when I was here, it was unbeleivable.

For the record I got a 10Ib Barramundi up in Darwin, to this day still my favourite fish of all time, not the biggest.

Biggest was 38Ib Wahoo in Coral Bay, folowed by a Giant Traveli around 20Ib in the same place.

Heaps of Snapper etc, you really are lucky having such awesome fishing on your doorstep in Aussie.

Liked the fishing in NZ (Napier) as well but it wasnt as spectacular as in Oz.

The best you can catch here in Scotland is Pike and Salmon. Angus knows all about the Pike, like a freshwater Barracuda, can grow to well over 50IB in some places. Then you have the Atlantic Salmon, 10 + years ive been trying for one of these bad boys, still no luck.

Anyway, its time I got some work done, Happy Fishing and cheers for the news about the river, its exceeded my expectations.

Take it easy

jamie

Yeah well its hard to fish a legal river for Scottish Salmon these days. And last i heard from some highland friends of mine, if you try to sneak fish in places like the river Coe, your likely to havea Gillie firing pot shots at you :P

The Threadfin Salmon are a much different variety than you are thinking of. The species you caught in WA would almost certainly be an Australian Salmon. The Threadfin Salmon are a warmer water fish that inhabit from about Brisbane northwards. They brow up (that i have seen) 1.2m long.

They are an amazing fighting fish often preforming arial displays etc. By the locals up north they are also considered better eating than any Barra.

All in all a great fish.

I actually have none on my home computer, but would anyone care to post a good picture of one?

I know Troy, Jeff, Jordan, Ash and some other have some good shots.

Cheers

Angus

Yep thats a different beast from the ones I caught in WA. Lovely looking fish.

Ive seen the Australian ones on Rex Hunt, but they seemed a lot, lot smaller than the ones I caught in WA.

These were decent fish at around the 9/10 Ib mark, I wish I had them digitally.

Angus - I know youse Aussies talk in cm and metres, but as a pom I get confused with this. :blush:

1.2 m, how mank kg's or Ib's would that be?

I reckon 5 - 10Ib's at a guess?

Anyways back to work

Jamie

Sounds like the fishing potential is improving in your part of the world....break out the big hooks:woohoo:
/>http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/07/28/1990782.htm

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/07/31 08:58

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/07/31 08:59

Archived